Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners

Thread: PC swaged half jacket boolits?

Boolit Man

PC swaged half jacket boolits?

I've aquired a swag-o-matic and 30 cal die. now i was thinking of tumble PC now my question is do you guys think it will work ok to push these pure lead slugs with half jackets ti 2500 fps or even 2800?

Boolit Master
    Probably, but why?

Boolit Master
    Why do you want to PC a half jacketed bullet? I sometimes load Hornady and or Speer 100gr short jacket. 308s. These bullets are rated for 3000f/s.

Motor

Boolit Man
    like I said I just got the press etc. have yet to get set up and make any yet, I plan on using them in 30-06, 300 savage etc, i always do a lot of research before asking questions but have yet to find any real info of guys making 150-180 gr half jackets and pushing them to those velocities. most info is just about 100 gr plinkers and theres always someone who says they still lead the barrel because the pure lead still touches the bore. I figured if I PC, that would take care of the lead/bore contact, half jacket would protect the base, the only thing I was still concerned about was the rifling being stripped due to soft lead and high velocity. Thanks for your patience! Im new to swaging and new to PC....Denny

These bullets are rated for 3000f/s
    By whom? Data sheet please.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I'm not a swager. That might work, but I would highly advise getting a good load worked up for your half jackets at their recommended velocity, then experimenting on swaging powder coat after you get that worked out. I've always thought it was best to master the known before jumping into the unknown.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    By whom? Data sheet please.
    Hornady or Speer data. I'm not home right now but I believe Hornady goes beyond 3000f/s with the 100gr short jacket in .308 Win.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Denny, I didn't realize home swage bullets would still have lead coming into contact with the bore. The commercial short jacket bullets only have bore contact with the jacket.

You idea for powder coating your home swage bullets is probably a good one.

Motor

Motor - I've shot a couple boxes of the hornady in 30/30, fun and cheap but no accuracy at speed (my and many others experience). They are as the manufacturer states, plinkers (no on-line data). I'd just PC 100gr PB and go for it. Biggest problem is making a 100gr long enough to cover the jump to throat and still have anything left in the case. But the OP does have the tool. IIRC I seated ~0.15 in the case for Marlin 30/30 and got 'ring' split cases to boot. Anyone in the DFW area can have the 2 boxes left, not worth the postage to mail them.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    popper, I only use them for training and before they changed the law in the state I grew up in I did use them for squirrel hunting. BUT for either purpose I never loaded them in .308 Win any faster than what 15gr of Unique pushes them at. I have found though that 15gr Unique in my .308 Win is a dandy plinker and training round. Accuracy to 100 yards was very good. 20oz soda bottles are easy targets.

Hornady shows a max velocity of 2700f/s in the 30-30.

The Speer manual shows a maximum velocity of 3345f/s with their 100gr "plinker" in .308 Win.

Motor

I just used the 10gr Unique load. Accuracy wasn't good at 100 in the Marlin. Kinda got them for the GKs to play with but they wanted full bore. No wimps there.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    first hand experience now that's what im talking about, thanks guys, I got my press set up today, and made up a few 110 grainers, will give them a shot as is and go from there. thanks for the input!....Denny