WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about TRU-LINE JR presses

Boolit Master

Question about TRU-LINE JR presses

I've seen a couple of these up FS. I see there is two different styles one with single linkage, and one with multiple linkage.

Questions
    - are these good presses?
    - which style is better?, single or the multiple linkage?

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

The earlier ones had the single link and only have enough leverage to neck size even handgun cases. The next improvement used compound linkage and could full length size handgun cases. Neither could full length size rifle case, with the exception of the 22 Hornet or some other itty bitty case.

There are small presses, but still adequate for reloading handgun rounds as good as a larger one. Here is the one I keep set up for 38 Special.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

What he said! I have one I use for pistol loading, and for the 32-20. That one is neck sized only. I find it neat, quick and handy. Finding 310 die sets and J type shell holders is problematic until you contact the 310Shop!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I've seen a couple of these up FS. I see there is two different styles one with single linkage, and one with multiple linkage.

Questions
    - are these good presses?
    - which style is better?, single or the multiple linkage?

Thanks
    Scott
    Answers
    -yes.
    -the later, compound link style press give more leverage.

If you look over the archives, there have been many and varied discussions that should answer any questions you have about the TruLine Jrs, but I'll mention a couple of quick points.
    First - they are smaller than a full sized press and their strength is proportional.
    Second - dies are a bit difficult to find, especially any but the most pedestrian calibers.
    Third - all rifle dies are designed to neck size, but you might find the classic pistol dies that will full length size... however, neck sizing may be preferable for several reasons.
    Fourth - you will need the obsolete (and sometimes hard to find) J-type shell holders or the adaptor system which will reduce the throw distance, which will be important if you want to load longer (rifle length) cases.

If you still have questions after going back to the recently discussed topics, please don't hesitate to come back and ask.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    If you get one, and need any thing, I may have dies and holders extra. Was setting up a few for pistol loading. May have extra parts and pieces extra dies would be around $7.5 - $10.00 each and have to see about holders. Average set of tru-line die would be 20.00 or less.

I know that all tru-line neck size only, but most loading should be neck sizing any way, auto-loading may need FL but most rifles if brass came from that gun resize neck only is a good idea.

Boolit Master
    Those presses just take up space where you could mount a real press. If you like them you might use them for .32 ACP, .380 and .25 ACP.
    I have very few cartridges they would size. they might work for seating bullets.
    EDG

Boolit Master

They are great little presses. If you want to load thousands of rounds in a day I would look elsewhere but if you want to take your time and enjoy the process then I would look for one with the newer linkage. I use mine to load 8x57, 30-06, 6.5x55, and 38spl. If I find a cheap set of 45acp dies I would be all over them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Those presses just take up space where you could mount a real press. If you like them you might use them for .32 ACP, .380 and .25 ACP.
    I have very few cartridges they would size. they might work for seating bullets.
    Gee, I guess I couldn't have done all those 32-40 and 45-70 rounds at the range when I didn't have enough brass to shoot a complete event. I must not have been able to shoot those events. I sure hope I'll be able to stretch my luck again when I load 327 Fed Mag and 45 (long) Colt on it. I guess you must have missed the FL dies available for all of the pistol cases, but the neck size dies that were mentioned by Teddy (punchie) work very well if you are using the TL Jr for rifles. You are right in one statement... they do perform well at seating and crimping regardless of the caliber you are using. Yes, they are small and don't have the guts to full length size large rifle cartridges (especially those needing extensive sizing for different chambers) but if you recognize the limitations (which are not as severe as you state) they will work quite well.

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I could not come up with a reply, that would not be considered offensive or insulting to the Moderators. So, I will just say that I do not agree with the tone and content of this post.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Char-Gar, that's the reason I responded the way I did. I figured it wouldn't do any good to flame the guy so I tried to educate him (if he is paying attention and didn't just troll by.) I would have thought that with nearly 2000 posts he would have known how things work around here AND that the little TL Jrs and 310s have a loyal following. Maybe he was being sarcastic and really wanted to buy it for himself?? While I readily acknowledge the limitations of brute strength that the smaller presses have, for a variety of loading duties around the old home pond, they sure do have enough utility to be bolted down (or at least clamped down) on my lily pad work bench. I guess there's just no accounting for taste, huh?

Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Man
    I really like my tl jr press, it's set up for 22 Hornet. It works great for that.

Boolit Man
    Does Lyman still sell the shell holder adapter for the TLJr.? I was able to order on these adapters some years back. Can 310 dies be used in this press with a little juggling? I have two of the older style and have not experimented.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundball View Post
    Does Lyman still sell the shell holder adapter for the TLJr.? I was able to order on these adapters some years back. Can 310 dies be used in this press with a little juggling? I have two of the older style and have not experimented.
    The adaptor was in their paper catalog last time I looked, along with the special primer punch assembly (fittingly called the "Special-T") it requires. I like to use the the original J-type shell holders where possible because you lose about 1/4" of throw in the space for the case when the adaptor is in place... not a problem for any of the pistol class cases, but not good for the longer rifle cartridges which may cause some need for creative placement.

As for the 310 dies, the only problem I've run into is that some may be too short to go through the turret head and reach the level they need to get to so they work properly... it just dawned on me that using the shell holder adaptor might actually help in that situation. It would be worth a try!

When you say you "have two of the older style" do you mean two single arm TruLine Jr presses? I'd have one of them set up for the 32 straight side family of revolvers and the other for the 32-20, the 44 Special, or 45 Colt very quickly if they were mine!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    EDG's comment was correct. Also got me thinking "what a great idea for low volume pistol rounds". Why this never dawned on me until now is anybody's guess. Messing with the 5/8 dies doesn't interest me in the least BUT a 7/8 turret and shell adapter does. So this cool little press has a place as the short stroke should be ideal for my purpose.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master

I had a Tru-line and sold it when I decided to 'upgrade', wish I still had the lil thing it was down right handy.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master
    My main TL Jr that I use the most has been set up now on a more-or-less semi-permanently for my 32 S&W Long/32 H&R. I don't go to Ram Bash or BPCS matches as much as I used to, but I still have a second TL Jr (early, single link) that I can reactivate to load 32-40 and 45-70 if the mood hits me. As I said above, I've got the stuff to load virtually any of the revolver rounds, so I'm thinking I may set up another of my presses for the 32-20 or 45 Colt since I've recently acquired Uberti SAAs that will need feeding. Decisions, decisions!

Froggie

Banned
    For what it is worth I like EDG's wisdom. In other words I am inclined to agree with him. He is an astute observer.
    I began my reloading career with a TLjr. I still have it and all the dies. It is a neat little press with limitations. I have one press with the original turret redrilled for 7/8-14 dies but have not used it.

In my not so humble opinion the limitations are more the quality of the dies and less the press. I have never had dies that were as finely polished as 7/8-14 dies of any brand. Never tried polishing them either. Case sizing is hard and pulling the expander button out is difficult. Better dies would greatly improve the presses usefulness.

Ken

Since 310/tru-line/ez-loader dies are just neck sizers it is hard to understand criticism of the poor thing -- Yes there are a few 5/8 FL dies in small case sizes.

My old CH up stroke C press is not a happy camper full length sizing 06 cases either -
    Very few of the older press' had great mechanical advantage -- Mechanical muscle did not come cheap then --
    my tuppence

Boolit Grand Master
    For those who actually want to use a Tru-Line Jr press but are having difficulties finding the necessary J-type shell holders, the following Lyman part numbers (found on their website today) may be of interest;

#7095762 – J to X Shellholder Adaptor

#7095763 – Special T Priming Punch

I'm going on the assumption that there are actually people reading this thread who use or want to use the TL Jr rather than just discuss the real or perceived shortcomings of the press. As I have stated previously, using this conversion DOES have the consequence of shortening the distance between the top of the shell holder and the bottom of the turret by about a quarter inch or so, but for most pistol rounds that is a non-issue, and I have even seated 45-70 bullets by putting the bullet into the die then maneuvering the case with primer and powder into the shell holder under it... not the best solution, but it can be done.

Froggie

I do use my Tru-Line Jr. Press..really I do.

I routinely polish my 310 sizing dies. I check them in the lathe and mount a bore mop in the tailstock chuck. I wrap the bore mop with a piece of shop paper towel slathered with Mother's Mag Polish. With the die turning in the headstock I run the mop/towel into it, back and forth a few times and the dies is well polished.

I polish my steel 7/8 dies the same way.