MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to make a simple 6.5 bullet swage die set. My roommate runs cnc machines.

Boolit Bub

Question I want to make a simple 6.5 bullet swage die set. My roommate runs cnc machines.

Ive never made anything like this before, but I was wondering if there are any plans or schematics or anything that I can look at to see how the insides of swage dies look and work. From the threads Ive seen, it seems I need to make a die to seat the core (Ill use a core mold for these probably) and then a point forming die. So, for the core seating die, I just need to make a die with a stem that lets the brass tube slide up around the stem while squishing the core into the jacket so it fills it out. Then the point forming die, is basically a die with the stem that is the shape of the bullet inside of it and a hole that goes to the top of the die so an ejector can eject the formed bullet.
    Does this seem accurate? Im was planning on using these
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786...ProductFinding
    to start with to save time and not have to do the threading. Do you guys think this will work? It seems like ill basically have to drill out and thread the inside of two of these, then make two stems, one a core seater and one a point forming stem.
    Im doing this because I cant afford real swage dies, I just graduated from college so its gonna be a while before I have that kind of money to spend. But, I love shooting and making bullets so if I can make a cheap set of swage dies for my 6.5 grendel ar15, Id be able to shoot a lot more.

Thanks for reading!
    -Jamie

Boolit Buddy
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Buddy
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Master

For a quick view of the dies necessary/cut away drawings see the following Corbin Link and scroll down on the page.

http://www.corbins.com/swaging.htm
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    You guys are the best. I made it all the way to like page 12 of the swage board at work today without finding what I wanted.
    Thanks!

Frosted Boolits

The machining of the dies is the easy part in my opinion. The lapping to both bring them within tolerance and smooth the tool marks is the hard part. But, as with anything else, having good/proper tooling makes a huge difference on quality of work and/or time it takes to produce the finished product. Sounds like you are on the right track. Read up and order a few extra die blanks LOL! Welcome to the madness of making your own dies. It's a blast!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    The machining of the dies is the easy part in my opinion. The lapping to both bring them within tolerance and smooth the tool marks is the hard part. But, as with anything else, having good/proper tooling makes a huge difference on quality of work and/or time it takes to produce the finished product. Sounds like you are on the right track. Read up and order a few extra die blanks LOL! Welcome to the madness of making your own dies. It's a blast!
    I have some ideas for the lapping! I inherited a dumore high speed sensitive drill press when my grandpa died. It runs at I think 27,000 rpm so Im thinking I could use this with really fine grain lapping film attached to a bit or something. Im trying to trade my kahr cm9 for a used mini lathe too, so I dont have to get my roommate to do anything at work. Once I am set up Ill be making dies all the time. I love doing stuff like this.

Boolit Master

Many of us here have used mini lathes, while the price seems very agreeable, rigidity is lacking.
    A very careful operator can overcome the hurdles.
    My recommendation to you is get a bigger lathe. It will make it so much easier.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Man
    +1 on getting a bigger lathe , mini lathes are fun but very limited especially when trying to cut 7/8x14 threads .

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFirst View Post
    I have some ideas for the lapping! I inherited a dumore high speed sensitive drill press when my grandpa died. It runs at I think 27,000 rpm so Im thinking I could use this with really fine grain lapping film attached to a bit or something. Im trying to trade my kahr cm9 for a used mini lathe too, so I dont have to get my roommate to do anything at work. Once I am set up Ill be making dies all the time. I love doing stuff like this.
    If your roommate runs CNC lathes turning up a point form tool blank will take him maybe 5 min to setup and machine. Assuming you have a 3D model and he can create the CAM.

Try fusion360 if you wanna model and spit out the CAM for him. There is a 30 Day trial.

Boolit Bub
    So you mean basically like a die with nothing drilled into it yet? Im still learning what makes up the different dies.

Boolit Mold
    So you mean basically like a die with nothing drilled into it yet? Im still learning what makes up the different dies.
    No the point form tool blank is what most consider the hardest part of making a point form die. On a CNC lathe it is extremely easy, but extraordinarily hard on a manual machine to make an accurate profile. Once you have the blank you can either load it up on a manual mill and cut it in half to make a D reamer or have your roommate drop it in a CNC mill and make a multi flute reamer.

Everything else is super easy to do on the lathe you are trying to pick up.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcburn View Post
    No the point form tool blank is what most consider the hardest part of making a point form die. On a CNC lathe it is extremely easy, but extraordinarily hard on a manual machine to make an accurate profile. Once you have the blank you can either load it up on a manual mill and cut it in half to make a D reamer or have your roommate drop it in a CNC mill and make a multi flute reamer.

Everything else is super easy to do on the lathe you are trying to pick up.
    I see now, that makes sense. I might actually be getting a job at the same place now on a 2 axis cnc lathe so I may be able to do some of this myself soon too. Ill definitely start working on some CAD drawings to have ready for when I get an opportunity to make some different blanks that I want. If I could have them all ready for each caliber I eventually want to have I could pound them out during breaks in a couple days if I get that job.
    Basically, I really hope i get hired so I dont have to rely on someone else doing a favor for me and can just do it myself... Im really excited about this.

Boolit Mold
    I see now, that makes sense. I might actually be getting a job at the same place now on a 2 axis cnc lathe so I may be able to do some of this myself soon too. Ill definitely start working on some CAD drawings to have ready for when I get an opportunity to make some different blanks that I want. If I could have them all ready for each caliber I eventually want to have I could pound them out during breaks in a couple days if I get that job.
    Basically, I really hope i get hired so I dont have to rely on someone else doing a favor for me and can just do it myself... Im really excited about this.
    If you are able to make these on a professional CNC lathe I call dibs on a set of trial dies. If you need any CAD tips or anything let me know (Mech Eng by trade)

BTW if you get hired you can have a set of dies done per break if you wanted minus heat treat.you can even turn brass laps in the exact dimensions you want. It would make creating dies so easy in comparison to the average hobbyist.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds good, I'll let you know if u get hired and if I can use some help!

Boolit Bub
    Another couple questions:
    For jackets, do you think I could use 22mag brass for jackets? I could make or buy a derimming die but I dont know if they are too small to make into 6.5 jackets. Are there are other ways to make 6.5mm jackets from some kind of brass? Maybe 17hmr brass? Its .269 at the body so maybe I could use my mini chop saw to cut the shoulder off, then trim it, derim it, and then use it as a jacket?

For lapping, would this stuff be good to use? http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Lappin.../dp/B00MALWGBI
    Last edited by TheFirst; 09-24-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Another couple questions:
    For jackets, do you think I could use 22mag brass for jackets? I could make or buy a derimming die but I dont know if they are too small to make into 6.5 jackets. Are there are other ways to make 6.5mm jackets from some kind of brass? Maybe 17hmr brass? Its .269 at the body so maybe I could use my mini chop saw to cut the shoulder off, then trim it, derim it, and then use it as a jacket?

For lapping, would this stuff be good to use? http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Lappin.../dp/B00MALWGBI
    I don't think 17 HMR would work as it isnt that wide. Did you mean 17 was?
    Last edited by goblism; 09-24-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by goblism View Post
    I don't think 17 HMR would work
    Damn. I guess Ill probably use commercial jackets since theyre fairly cheap anyway. At least until I find a good way to make my own out of something cheap.

edit: Damn, I just looked up corbins jackets and theyre almost as much as buying already made bullets! Its like $54 for 250 of them... I guess I will have to come up with something for jackets.

Boolit Buddy
    Damn. I guess Ill probably use commercial jackets since theyre fairly cheap anyway. At least until I find a good way to make my own out of something cheap.

edit: Damn, I just looked up corbins jackets and theyre almost as much as buying already made bullets! Its like $54 for 250 of them... I guess I will have to come up with something for jackets.
    Rceco has them for $70 per k but they are long

Frosted Boolits

Add a pinch trim die to your repertoire....
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows