Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many choices!

Boolit Buddy

So many choices!

Hey guys. Now I've got my first batch of boolits cast, I need to lube them. I've been through this section looking at lube options and to be quite honest, I don't know where to start! I picked one that looked easy to make - three parts candle wax, one part lanolin and one part lithium grease. I may also throw in some dye to make it look pretty!

I'm loading soft lead 405gr for my .45-70. I plan to load it very much on the slow side with Unique as all I'm doing is shooting 50 yard gongs with it for now. I'll pan lube as that looks fairly simple.

Do you think I've made the right choice?

NJC - the 45-70 is a very forgiving caliber. You said you were going to use Unique but you didn't say what kind of rifle. I started by checking what others were using and their results. Then I'd beg a little lube from guys at the range or in matches so I could test it without making up a bunch that may, or may not, work well.

As for your choice of lubes ....... try it and see. That's part of the fun.

I've put these pictures in other posts regarding 45-70, soft bullets, high velocities and/or lubes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMR SR 4759 27 Lyman 457193.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	149447 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMR SR 4759 27 Hoch 459500.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	149448

Boolit Buddy
    There are so many lubes out there. I can understand the confusion of where to start. After making and playing with lubes initially, I'd recommend buying some just because it is cheap and goes a long ways.

Here is a popular place for lube:
    http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Just dip the base to the lube groove in Mazzola oil, base wiped/set on a paper towel, load and shoot. Or use a tooth pick to apply it to the lube groove. Can't get much cheaper than that. Good for a hunting load in 30/30.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    NJC - the 45-70 is a very forgiving caliber. You said you were going to use Unique but you didn't say what kind of rifle.
    I forgot to mention that bit. It's a Marlin 1895 that's been modified a bit and is similar to the guide gun. Short barrel (16 inches maybe) with a muzzle brake.

Thanks for those pictures. They reassure me that soft lead can work, although that loading would be pretty low pressure I would think. I'm not sure what pressure the Unique loads peak at?

Thanks to the rest of you for your replies too. I'm considering just chucking some Lee lube on for this weekend. I'll play around more when I have more time!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    NJC - the 45-70 is a very forgiving caliber. You said you were going to use Unique but you didn't say what kind of rifle. I started by checking what others were using and their results. Then I'd beg a little lube from guys at the range or in matches so I could test it without making up a bunch that may, or may not, work well.

As for your choice of lubes ....... try it and see. That's part of the fun.

I've put these pictures in other posts regarding 45-70, soft bullets, high velocities and/or lubes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMR SR 4759 27 Lyman 457193.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	149447 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMR SR 4759 27 Hoch 459500.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	149448
    Is that a #2 Remington rolling block? I have a couple #2s but never seen one in 45-70. Seems like a lot of cartridge for a mid-size rolling block action. But mighty fine shooting!

to simplify it consider that the less demanding the application the less demands upon the loob eg; the lower the pressure the more you hedge your bets on success with a myriad of things that work acceptably ...

the easiest to make is 50/50 beeswax and grease ( be it lithium,white lithium or even vaseline ) paraffin wax needs a bit more to make it work , personally if you just have to make it yourself you cant go wrong with FWWFL but it does take a bit more work to make ( it's worth it tho !! ) and if you're not trying to duplicate 458 win mag pressures out of your 45-70 ( which you shouldnt be doing anyways ...) tumble lubing will suffice ( simple take a bottle of lee liquid alox cut it with i dunno say 5-20 % real mineral spirits lube size and lube one or twice more ..easy breezy beautiful ( recluse's recipe of 45/45/10 tho is much better )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

I wouldn't go quite to 50% with the grease 30-35% seems to be a much better amount.
    after it cools and rests you can then cut the hardness down with some Vaseline to get it where you want the lube easy to work for pain err pan lubing.
    plastic waxes do not do their best at pan lubing unless certain mineral oil based oils are used to keep them soft and malleable.

don't fall into the I got a bunch of wax and slippery stuff trap of lube making.
    it don't work.
    beeswax based lubes are best for pan lubing and keeping them on the softer side so they cut from the cake easier seems the best option.

+1 on FWFL!
    Your career doesn't define the man you are, what kinda Dad you are does!

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Grand Master

W/ what White Label charges I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to make my own. You can't go wrong w/ any of their offerings.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Is that a #2 Remington rolling block? I have a couple #2s but never seen one in 45-70. Seems like a lot of cartridge for a mid-size rolling block action. But mighty fine shooting!
    ndnchf, I don't want to speak for Toymaker, and I wondered about that too. Then it hit me-- Uberti makes a copy of the Remington #2 but actually chambers it for real rifle cartridges like the .30-30, .38-55, and .45-70. There may be more, but I personally want nothing to do with a #2 sized rifle in .45-70.

Robert

ndnchf and Mk42gunner - I fear my label has mislead you. I have (had) two rolling blocks, the pictures are results from the second one, i.e. Rolling Block #2. Sorry about that.
    It is actually a Pedersoli Creedmoor, 30" barrel, double set triggers, Heilman mid-range ladder sight, Hadley eye cup, Lyman hooded front with skylight and spirit level.

Boolit Buddy
    I've mixed up a small batch of my lube. It cooled to look like cloudy honey. I haven't opened the jar to see how hard it is.

For a small number of bullets, and assuming it's not too hard, can I just rub a bit into the grooves to test it before pan luring the whole lot? It's standing in cold water as we speak, but I don't think it will be properly cooled until tomorrow

Boolit Grand Master
    Toymaker, thanks for clearing that up.

Drifting the thread back towards the original topic; I would advise making a very small amount of lube the first time, just in case it doesn't do what you want. It takes a long time to use up lube mistakes as fluxing or reducing agents while casting.

I had some trepidation the first time I made FWFL, but it came out okay and I have been using it ever since. It works so well for me that I hesitate to even try another recipe.

Lube making is fun, as long as you don't spill anything in Mama's kitchen....

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    I've mixed up a small batch of my lube. It cooled to look like cloudy honey. I haven't opened the jar to see how hard it is.

For a small number of bullets, and assuming it's not too hard, can I just rub a bit into the grooves to test it before pan luring the whole lot? It's standing in cold water as we speak, but I don't think it will be properly cooled until tomorrow
    Yes you can hand lube a few to try. I have done it for testing .32 Long Colt chambered rifles prior to getting a heeled bullet mold.

Wax retains heat well and takes a long time to fully cool after it solidifies.

Good Luck,

Robert

60/40 blend of Beeswax and Vaseline, teaspoon each of Alox and Johnson's Paste Wax...oh, and a hot pink crayon for color. Works great for me. I smear some in the grease grooves with thumb and forefinger and run the whole thing through a Lee push thru sizer. Boolit gets sized, gas checked if needed, and the lube stays in the grooves nicely. I sat down and did 120 of them in about 25-30 mins a few days ago.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Grand Master

In 1978 I purchased 40 sticks of lube from a fellow, Garth Choate, I used it for all cast applications. I tried many others over the years but always came back to the Choate lube. When using it I have never had a leading problem, it just leaves a little residue but no lead.
    He's still in business but no longer makes lube, he did send the recipe.
    3 parts beeswax blended with 1 part Lithium grease ( I used Lucas Red-N-Tacky in my batch)
    Heated and stirred in an old slow cooker until the stuff was mixed. That's it. Simple lube.
    Be careful when melting the beeswax, it can flash, keep lid and fire extinguisher handy.
    The grease doesn't melt, heat and whisk, let cool and do again...this seems to help blend the mix.

Good luck and load safe,
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    I did wonder about the melting point of the grease. I whisked mine because it didn't seem to want to dissolve/melt and it came out ok

Boolit Master
    About a year ago I mixed up some beeswax and unsalted crisco with a pinch of ollive oil to re pan lube some 50 black powder bullets that had sit for a while and got dried out and cracked up lube. Got the recipe off a pan lube post. Since then I have been using it on 45 cal , 9 mm ,and 357 cast I am not running them real hot , but thay have some bang to them with no leading at all . I want to try different lubes like speed green ,and a lot of others but I made a couple pound and it worked so well that is the onely lube I have used.I melt and pore in my lube sizer or pan lube with a cake cuter .all info from this sight. By the way a couple pound goes a long way.

Boolit Buddy
    I made about half a pound of my lube. Figured that if it works it's enough to do a few hundred rounds. If it's rubbish then I haven't wasted too much!