Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Powder Horn and Possibles Bag Image Thread

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=garbear;1993001]I would be ashamed to show a picture of mine. My Grandpa made mine to go with my first muzzle loader. He pattered it from a womens purse. I did the bead work but the beads have fallen apart. I'll post a pic. You all have inspired me to make one for my t/c smooth bore.

How lucky you are to have that bag......I haven't seen one yet that can carry the memories that yours does!

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    I would be ashamed to show a picture of mine. My Grandpa made mine to go with my first muzzle loader. He pattered it from a womens purse. I did the bead work but the beads have fallen apart. I'll post a pic. You all have inspired me to make one for my t/c smooth bore.
    My shotgun bag is a woman's purse. My wife found it at a goodwill store and I couldn't ask for a better pouch. All leather, 3 full compartments and 1 compartment divided in three sections. The divided compartment carries the wads and cards and the others carry tools and my shot pouch. I only had to add a wider strap to make it comfortable to carry. Oh and it is an awesome blue .
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

In Remembrance
    I also have some things that my friend and Brother, Doug Horn, made. The following pictures are of the bag he made.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    The inner two pockets:
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    And the back pocket:
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    Closer picture of the powder horn Doug made for me:
    Last edited by mazo kid; 09-10-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    A rum horn:
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    And a tobacco box:
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just so happen to have a horn and a couple bags by the same maker. Big surprise, eh? 😁
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

i like making powder horns and have built dozens, along with a few possibles bags.

In Remembrance
    Ric, when I saw your photos I just had to post mine. In my opinion, Doug never got adequate recognition for his work and it is greatly prized by those that have items he crafted.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Ric, when I saw your photos I just had to post mine. In my opinion, Doug never got adequate recognition for his work and it is greatly prized by those that have items he crafted.
    He is a true master.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Got some of Doug's myself and know a lot of others that do!
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

VERY AWSOME POSSIBLES. thanks for sharing them.

rfd Your powder horns look great!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rifle 57 View Post
    rfd Your powder horns look great!!
    thank you sir - they're plain jane simple, but effective.

Boolit Master
    Have always enjoyed making my own ML accoutrements. Here's a bison horn and a couple of "cow" horns.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 09-12-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Banned

just finished a simple 11" horn with rear brass screw filler plug that'll get a strap attached, and a front groove in the horn for the strap's tie thong. there's a brass push button nozzle valve for easy filling of the powder measure without dealing with a pesky loose fiddle key stopper. this should hold a good 1/2lb of 3f for the .58 fowler. just need to make the strap.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    just finished a simple 11" horn with rear brass screw filler plug that'll get a strap attached, and a front groove in the horn for the strap's tie thong. there's a brass push button nozzle valve for easy filling of the powder measure without dealing with a pesky loose fiddle key stopper. this should hold a good 1/2lb of 3f for the .58 fowler. just need to make the strap.

that is a very nice horn and I really like the bottom fill addition. what kinda wood di you use for the end plug?

Banned

just some stained and clear coated sugar pine. i don't heat and round out the horn base, but instead make a plug to fit the ovoid opening, and it gets glued in and sanded flat. then i glue on another 1/2" to 1" thick piece of wood and oval or dome shapeit. usually i drill and taper a hole in the center of the wood for a filler and stop it with a dowel that i'll taper on a drill press. i'll heat up a bx cable staple with a propane torch and put a few fancy twists in it, and use it for a rear strap fastener. you can see that in one of my horns in a previous post.