RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My unwanted thundering herd

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates

My unwanted thundering herd

HELP HELP

There is a thundering herd of red eyed raccoons thundering thru my attic this mourning.

At 79 getting into the attic is now a problem and using a live trap is impossible.

Yes I live in the city so using any guns is illegal.

Can anyone suggest a way of driving it or them out of my house?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

In Remembrance
    Lord lord, can't help, but I bet they are aggrevating, probably sounds like a herd of buffalo.

Working on a job down at Orange Texas one year, I had the 35 foot travel trailer parked on a lake, just 30 feet or so from the water. My wife kept complaining about a flock of geese trying to land on it. I probably worked a month before I had a day off and was still in bed when the sun was coming up, and a herd of buffalo ran the whole length of the roof. I jumped out of bed thinking something terrible was happening, and my wife said I told you, it is them dadnabbit geese, maybe not in those exact words. lol

An Electronic Pest Repeller has worked very well for me with Mice, Squirrels and Bats.
    This model has done well, I have 3 in use. > http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Boolit Master

You may try moth balls or the flakes,it works for skunks trying to set up house keeping under my shed.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Well they are back again this mourning playing socker up there so I guess I will get a couple boxes of moth balls and when it gets dark tonight dump them into the hole they have dug into my roof.

When I am sure they have moved on I will replace the destroyed wood and cover it with a 10" wide strip of steel role like we uuse for gas checks then replace the lost shingles.

Keep your fingers crossed that they take the hint they are NOT welcome in my home.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm guessing you got too many other yard critters to live trap em at the point of contact where they come down?
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Vendor Sponsor

Moth balls should work
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

If worse comes to worse check out in your local area for an outfit called "Critter Control", they may be of help to you.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

a bee keeper's smoker ... they detest the smell of smoke - especially old wood and damp leaves , to get them to stay out however you're right have to block point of access and sadly roofing at o dark thirty is neither enjoyable nor neighbor approved , got a tree close to the house ? helps if there's no way for them to get to the roof
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

If they are actually coming in and out the hole, make yourself a one way door where they can push out of the attic, exit, but have difficulty opening the door from outside. That's what they use for bats. Bats aren't near as handy with their hands like raccoons though. Maybe fashion something on the door like a mouse trap spring for a bit a tension. Or maybe a bit of weight on a cable.

Alternatively a 180 or 220 conibear trap installed to guard the hole. You'll be making them dead one by one though. After the first one it might be more difficult to trap the rest.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/898zr2n3...pot-roast.html

Boolit Master
    We just used ammonia soaked rags to dissuade a coon at my folks house a few months ago.

Saw him leave one night, and shoved the soaked rags into the opening using a long handled pole.
    Used the whole jug on a couple of towels, strong enough for my eyes to water and make breathing interesting.

Haven't seen him since.

I still need to get up there and fix the soffits where he was getting in, not going to be fun, very steep roof, small area due to multiple roof angles.
    Last time I was up there was a blast, trying to hand on and push the soffit back into place, now I know I need to come up with a better fix.
    And no good access to the eaves from in the attic.

Banned
    Napthalene crystals (moth balls or moth flakes) will repel short term. Take a walk around the outside of the house, looking for entry points. Check your gables and pitch changes closely. Look for rub marks on surfaces...oil on their fur leaves marks when they brush against a surface repeatedly. Look for access to the roof. Hw are they getting up there in the first place? Trim trees as needed, make it harder to gain access to the roof in the first place. You are likely going to need a professional. Many PCO's do rodent/animal exclusions, most people either can't (sounds like your case) or won't do the work needed to block the animals from the roof and then the attic. Just a suggestion...don't call Terminex or Orkin, find somebody local. They will tend to be much more responsive to your needs, as well as less expensive.

Boolit Master
    Snare! Or low velocity .22 shorts. The LV shorts will only just penetrate a one inch pine board. Fired point blank (about 1 inch) you will find the slug laying on the ground under the board. They are quiet when fired indoors so unlikely to attract the attention of the neighbors. I use them in my cabin on packrats.
    R.D.M.

Super Moderator

Consider a live trap outside on the ground nearby if that is a possibility. They will leave the attic on their nightly forays to find food. They come to my yard at night to dig up earthworms from the lawn, but they also dig up the flowerbeds. I have relocated dozens of them over the last several years. Leave a little trail of dry dog food leading into the trap, and you will be sure to catch them. It may take several sets, but you can do this or pay someone else to do it. Once they are established in your attic...they ain't gonna leave.

Try calling the State Game Warden. They should have a critter control of some kind.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    HELP HELP..........Can anyone suggest a way of driving it or them out of my house?
    Bill:

Throw a pair of your old dirty shorts up there.............that'll chase them out!

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the idea but I think I will wear a pair of sox for about 3 days then carefully drop them in the crawl hole with a long string attached.

The string will help me retrieve the sox before they kill off some of the local birds.

Boolit Master

Is Girty ill? Can't she take care of em fer ya?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Girty B fein.

She B on a speshl blak opz asinmint fer sum 1 startn polez.

Boolit Master

At least she's ok!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia