Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Italian 6.5 Carcano. Are they any good or junkers?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mikenbarb View Post
    It did pretty good at the range but I gotta tweak the loads a bit. Thanks everyone.
    Without the purple long johns you are wasting your time, that is what makes them shoot.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Boy they sure have changed! Hitching with a rifle. I just finished 10 years of hitchiking, and it was more hiking than hitching, I could just imagine carrying a rifle along, there'd be someone with flashing lights stop to give you a ride. I bought a Japanese Type I not long ago, which is a Carcano with a regular box magazine, but haven't done anything with it yet.
    Around here it's still not really unusual to see guys, especially during one of the hunting seasons, carrying long guns openly along the side of the road. Not while hitchhiking these days though. Remembering back on those days in college, though, another time I had sold a car (for the princely sum of about 50 bucks). Hitched to Rutland (nowadays known for drugs and gangs as much as anything else, but not then) and looked for another car. When I didn't find one I stopped in a downtown sporting goods store to look over used guns. Bought a 16 ga double shotgun for about 30 bucks and hitched back with it (about 50 miles or so). A few weeks later, I took that shotgun with me, along with some luggage, on a bus back to parents' place. The driver made me break it open to make sure it was unloaded--that's all. What happened to our America, that times have changed so much? Whatever happened to $50, driveable cars, too?

Boolit Mold
    If a Carcano and one man did what LHO supposedly did in 1963 he should be on the new Discovery Channel show "SuperHumans". How long did it take the SS and the FBI to even come close to duplicating 3 shots with that degree of accuracy in 6 seconds or so? I think it was at least a year and it was supposedly done by a Marine sniper and it took him a couple of days to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Oh dear. I feel like I am a bad influence.
    OO Jeff, Your another enabler
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

At one time I owned a Carcano that looked just like the one in Buckshots post the only difference was the rear sight. The workmanship on my rifle was very good and I enjoyed shooting it until l discovered its weak spot which is its ability to vent gas from a ruptured casing. I received a piece of very hot brass in my right eyebrow. The fault was probably mine in that I was using Old military ammo. with good new brass it likely would not have happened.

Skeet1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinarky View Post
    If a Carcano and one man did what LHO supposedly did in 1963 he should be on the new Discovery Channel show "SuperHumans". How long did it take the SS and the FBI to even come close to duplicating 3 shots with that degree of accuracy in 6 seconds or so? I think it was at least a year and it was supposedly done by a Marine sniper and it took him a couple of days to achieve it.
    Lee Harvey Oswald's shots striking home were as much by guess and by golly as by intention.
    The range was short enough that he didn't need the scope, the offset scope allowed a clear view of the iron sights.

Like as not he aimed for center mass and the headshot was due to the shot going high.

Two or three seconds between shots is plenty enough time.
    Some bolt action rifles are stiff, but when worn in the action can slicken up.
    Someone not familar with the Carcano might not be able to cycle the action swiftly, but an obssesive personalty like Oswald might practice dry firing for hours, with adenaline speeding his motions even more.

Shot my Carcano in the local military match this weekend. Managed to get a 6/8, 7/8 and 8/8 on the 340, 450 and 300 yd targets. (shooter didn't do his job on the 230 and 488 yd targets).

The sights are probably the weakest link on these guns.

If I'd have known about the purple tights, and worn some, I probably would have gotten at least a 7/8 on the two others

Boolit Bub MasterGunnerySergeant's Avatar
    They used to call them 'Humanitarian Rifles' because they never hurt anyone on purpose. I often wonder if that was a knock on the rifle or the Italians that carried them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by semtav View Post
    Shot my Carcano in the local military match this weekend. Managed to get a 6/8, 7/8 and 8/8 on the 340, 450 and 300 yd targets. (shooter didn't do his job on the 230 and 488 yd targets).

The sights are probably the weakest link on these guns.

If I'd have known about the purple tights, and worn some, I probably would have gotten at least a 7/8 on the two others
    never under estimate the power of the purple longjohns!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGunnerySergeant View Post
    They used to call them 'Humanitarian Rifles' because they never hurt anyone on purpose. I often wonder if that was a knock on the rifle or the Italians that carried them.
    The standard 6.5 Carcano military ball would have been one of the few that met the Hague conventions against un necessary suffering, A Humane Bullet if such actually exists.
    The long round nose bullet had better penetration than its velocity would have indicated, but generally bored straight through holes with out a large pemanent wound channel.
    Winchester manufacture 6.5 carcano ammo was a different story. The brittle jackets and excessive crimping pressure induced stresses that caused many bullets to break up in the body of a victim, creating massive wound channels with multiple exit wounds.

The 7.35 Italian used a two piece core with aluminum nose plug like the .303 MkVII bullets. These tumbled and broke up in the wound causing massive damage.

Beekeeper
    Buickshot,
    Do you know if they have the same barrel threads a a small ring Mauser?
    I have an 88 commission rifle receiver that is extra with all of the parts including bolt.
    They look kinda ratty (from rust and pitting) but are sound as far as safety goes.
    Was considering using it for a carcano barrel.

Jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Buickshot,
    I have an 88 commission rifle receiver that is extra with all of the parts including bolt.
    They look kinda ratty (from rust and pitting) but are sound as far as safety goes.

Jim
    The Gew 88 shank is far different from the Italian or the Small Ring Mauser shanks.
    The Gew 88 shank uses a 12 Threads per Inch V thread.
    The Italian Rifle shank is larger in diameter and uses a 14 TPI thread.

You could probably have eiither the Carcano barrel or a Small Ring Mauser barrel turned down and rethreaded to fit the Gew 88.

PS
    The 1891 Mauser barrel is closest to the Gew 88. It would require .005" turned from the shoulder to fit. Diameter of shank and TPI are within .001.
    The 93-96 shanks could also be fitted but would require a bit more turned from the shoulder.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 09-03-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Buickshot,

Jim

Jim, I was going to do the exact same thing for a Mannlicher I have, seeing as the rifles have very similar chambers and of course they are both 6.5 , bought the Carcano rifle with an OK barrel for 50 bucks . I decided I should shoot the Carcano before I stripped it to make sure the barrel was good , It was such a sweet shooter I couldn't break her up so I ended up with the MS and a Carcano. The MS is at the moment getting a new barrel and the Carcano is getting a new stock ,bolt handle and sights ,should be a nice little stalking rifle when it's done . I have a Lyman ? 140 grain mold for it when I get it back ,I'll try it out and if it's works all well and good ,if not I'll get cast bullet engineering to make me a better one.

Pete
    Last edited by darwinmauser; 09-04-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    There were some very nice sporting rifles built on the GEW 88 actions.
    I think I'd chose the .32-40.
    The 8.15X46r was very similar to the .32-40 and a very popular and highly developed target and medium game cartridge. Many european hunters and target shooters also chose to have rifles chambered for the US .32-40.

The Gew 88 was probably strong enough for the 7mm and early 6.5 cartridges of its time when new, but these rifles are getting old and metalurgy was not up to later standards so metal fatigue is more of a factor to be considered than with rifles of the mid 20th century.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGunnerySergeant View Post
    Italians are lovers, not fighters. That is, unless they're named Soprano.

Boolit Mold
    Shot my M1941 "long rifle" yesterday and managed a 8" vertical string at 100 yards. Load was 30 grs. of IMR 4895 with a .268 160 gr. Hornady RN. The sights were very blurry and I could barely see the front sight at the base of the "V" notch which is the way it's supposed to be held.