Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who uses an Shooting Chrony F1 Chronograph

Who uses an Shooting Chrony F1 Chronograph

ive been eyeballing one of these for 3 years now... they seem to appear in a lot of pellet gun videos in youtube, they just seem really popular.

does anyone on here have one and have anything to say about them? does anything fail on them ? i see they sell parts

In Remembrance

I have one I bought from Midway last year. It works quite well for me. So far I have not shot the rods but I have some wooden dowels on hand in case. If you don't have or make a remote you will have to write each reading down as you shoot or it will be lost. Very satisfied with mine.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

i know they have that system where it prints out the results or holds a memory, id be happy with just a ball park idea.

I bought one a couple of years ago. The only problem I've had is on sunny days the shades don't quite cover enough sometimes, but that is a common issue with thiscstyle of chronograph, or so I'm told.

The only other problem I had was knocking it over with muzzle blast. Find yourself an old camera tripod to go with it. Greatest chrono accessory ever.

Boolit Man
    have had good luck with mine, had it 10 yrs or so. simple and easy to use. no problems would recommend it.

If you are knocking over your crony with the muzzle blast, you have the crony too close to the muzzle. Should be about 10 feet from a rifle muzzle or more if the blast is that severe. That muzzle blast can also give you a false reading on velocity if too close.

The problem was the crappy base I was trying to use, not the distance. I read the instructions, the chrony WAS 10' away.
    A $5 garage sale camera tripod fixed the problem.

Hmm, how should I put it..

Back in the days I had a Chrony. Then I bought another. A little later I had to buy a working chronograph.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Mine works fine. I would buy another.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Mine works fine. I would buy another.
    Really? I have never seen one that is totally hassle free. And I have seen more than one..

If the conditions are not optimal (too bright, too dark, too what ever) it is almost a miracle when a Chrony works. With my current chronograph it is other way around: NOT working is exceptional.

There is one accessory item that I recommend highly. The Chrony (red) led lamp. It makes the Chrony to work reasonably well in various lighting conditions.

I have used one for close to 20 years. never had any problems with it, although I did hit the unit with a .223 bullet about 4 years after I bought it. I called them and they said to send it in. They replaced it with a new one, and upgraded it to the remote model free of charge. Great of them to do that, as it was clearly my fault the unit was destroyed by the bullet impact.

Boolit Master
    I have one I use regularly. I wrote my own software to capture and save the data using a serial cable and to calculate spreads and deviations. All in all the Chrony works very well.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Man
    Mine had been excellent. I used it mostly just with air rifles and .22's in the backyard and it never gave me any trouble. I loaned it to a friend and on his first shot with a Hatsan air rifle he plugged it right in the screen. DOA. Being a good guy he ordered me another one and presented it to me..he sent the original back in and had it fixed. I tried hard to get him to keep the new one and just give me the old one back but he wouldn't do it.

I found that on many days it is better to not use the diffusers and just shoot over the naked sensors.

Boolit Master
    Mine worked good for many years, until, it quit. shotgun wad caved it in.

Boolit Master
    Had mine for 20 years or so. Only problem is the error message in some intense sunlight. Solution is easy, just cover the sun screens with a single layer of duct tape, somehow makes it easier for it to see the bullet passing and record it. Over time, one broken tab on the sun screens, other than that, just keeps on working.
    Chris

Boolit Man
    I had a Master Beta model that lasted 23 years before the electronics gave out-bought another a few years ago and had no problems. As for shooting on sunny days i took a piece of plexiglass and bead blasted it and fitted it to cover the entire sunscreen area-it works on those sunny days real well.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Really? I have never seen one that is totally hassle free. And I have seen more than one..
    I can't say they all work, but I always set mine up in the same place (I have my own range) and it is always under the same trees and always facing the same direction, so maybe that helps with its reliability. I even shot the sticks off it and now it sports clotheshanger wire to hold the screens, but it's still clicking out the speeds! I did loan it out to some bowhunting buds of mine too and they said it worked for them, but I didn't ask details. They were happy to use it and I was just happy to get it back without an arrow in it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Gamma Master, other than shooting the sensors once, no complaints, good customer service. I have to get some time to compare it my new CED M2 unit. No time...

Boolit Master
    Had a first model I had muzzle blast damage it . Use a Pact No 1 . Bigger screen area also

Boolit Buddy
    Have one that I got used 10 years ago. I don't have or use shades and it works well. I always shoot early in the morning so the shades may not be needed at that time of day anyway. Mine is usually within 20 fps from trued ballistic calculators.