RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead score!

Boolit Master

Lead score!

A sample of the lead score I got today in the scrap yard's soft lead bin for 80 cents a pound! I felt bad at first but they should have known what they had.
    Does anyone know what the lead at the top right of the pile is used for?

In Remembrance
    If your talking about the wound up stuff in almost a ball I would place my bet on it being for stained glass works. The Cerro Bend stuff is used for things other than casting chambers, so don't use it for casting chamber, or use it for casting boolits with either.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

So maybe he paid scrap price for it and sold it to you for an extra $0.30/lb? So he "Scored" also

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    So maybe he paid scrap price for it and sold it to you for an extra $0.30/lb? So he "Scored" also
    That's true. I was really happy to get the bar solder for a great price.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    If your talking about the wound up stuff in almost a ball I would place my bet on it being for stained glass works. The Cerro Bend stuff is used for things other than casting chambers, so don't use it for casting chamber, or use it for casting boolits with either.
    Thanks for the info on the cerro bend.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Yep....Scrap lead sells for .20/lb here. Raw wheelweights, roofing lead, etc. You can buy processed WW & pure on S&S for 1.00/lb shipped.

Boolit Buddy
    Good find

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Just be aware of the Cd in the CerroBend alloy!!!

Do a google search for what it is used for and it's MSDS info.

Boolit Buddy
    Careful on the Cero - many different alloys of Cero, especially the older blends contained Cadmium and that is toxic for sure. New Cero has eliminated the Cad but older stuff, especially without 100% ID is iffy. Suggest not casting with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    You did not say how much Cerro you have in the batch. If a good bit, it would be worth having the yard you bought it from do an x-ray shoot of it! Just so you know fur sure.

I bought over 400# of a Cerro-like Bi/Sn/Pb/Sb alloy early last year that has absolutely ZERO Cd in it. (had the yard x-ray it B4 buying any.) It melts at 158F. Great stuff for making repros of antique clock trims when I am missing a piece. You can cast it in plastic or rubber molds. Just make sure there is NO Cd in there. That piece you have in the picture you posted looks old and may have Cd in there. Just be careful. It can be potentially poisonous.

banger

Boolit Master

Cerro-bend can be made into cerro-safe for chamber casting, with the very precisely calculated addition of an exact amount of pure lead. I've done it and it works well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Please advise how adding just Pb to CerroBend eliminates the ~10% Cd?

Just curious.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Please advise how adding just Pb to CerroBend eliminates the ~10% Cd?

Just curious.
    So am I, but he never really said it removed the Cd. Perhaps he's talking about the 'newer' Cerrobend without Cd?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Any follow up

Boolit Grand Master

Good Score! Looks like a nice mix of soft lead and solder. I like buying tin at scrap lead prices!

Boolit Buddy
    I got my first Lead score yesterday. A coworker was giving me a ride back to the auto shop to pick up my truck. Sitting at a red light i looked over and saw a massive wheel weight at the curb. Jumped out and grabbed it, had to be from a dump truck or something, as this thing weighs about a pound. When i got to the shop I put it on the counter while waiting to pay. The attendant asked me about it and what I was going to do with it. Then he offered me more from the back. This is the same shop I have asked 3 different people about weights in the past, only to be told they couldn't sell them due to EPA stuff. Well I ended up picking through a small bucket and walked away with maybe 5 pounds. Not a lot, but he told me to stop back by anytime and I could take what I wanted.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the information and reply's.

That balled up stuff on the upper right is Lead Came used for leaded glass windows. Generally very soft lead BUT it can sometimes have zinc in it as a stiffener. If it does it will fizz with pool acid or some drain cleaners. And melt at a higher temp and have an oatmeal like texture when melted. Just melt it first and on its own if you want to examine results and avoid contamination of the rest of your haul.

I have found melting the assorted scrap solder in a big batch and pouring small amount into muffin tins to make thick "coins" is a useful way to deal with all the mixed solder bars. I then take a coin (or two) from the big batch into the scrap yard to be gunned so they can tell me the exact tin content and I can then label all the coins. Over time I end up with baggies of coins that are 43% or 37% or 33% and 47% or.... whatever but still easy to plug into the alloy calculator and use to make a batch of casting alloy since I have a larger batch of several pounds to work with.

On the roll solder make sure you melt anything with an acid core in a separate pot. Use sawdust or gerbil/rat wood chip bedding to get the acid core flux out of the pot. Do not do in your casting pot.

I also will sometimes take the batches of "mystery" lead, do a hardness test and melt it into bigger batches based on common hardness. Those will also get gunned at scrap yard. I do not want to annoy the nice fellows with the $40k XRF gun by asking them to do every single type of ingot I find. Putting it into batches allows me to get known alloy in batches large enough to be worth casting with.

Nice haul and most scrap yards won't charge different for solder vs. lead vs. printers lead. Or if they do it is sporadic and not generally significant in smaller batches. Have paid a nickel or dime more for all solder from time to time. Or for large batches. Have to pay a premium for a large batch of printers lead or a full bucket of solder bars. Oddly enough I found one place that includes pewter as scrap lead. Don't see it often but am on it like a duck on a June bug when I see it there. There is also a yard that I have to point out I'm getting "plain" lead, they give me a good price (regular customer) but since I mostly troll for "good" stuff they charge full lead price for the alloy stuff. I don't mind. Nothing bad about solder at scrap lead price, nothing at all.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Here is the start of the pile I made today.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice pile but why do you cast your ingots all connected together?!?!?!?!? I and most others cast as individuals.