Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 35 Remington info/input needed.

Boolit Man

35 Remington info/input needed.

I have an opportunity at purchasing an early (1950) Marlin 336A in 35 Rem (waffle top). It is not drilled/tapped for scope. It appears to be in sound condition, with only a couple small blems on one side of the receiver. It does not have a front sight hood (if they came with them). The guys is asking $450.

I am new to the caliber, and Marlins altogether. Are there any concerns or issues I should be watching for? I know it is not a long range gun, just like the uniqueness of the old Marlins and the ability to shoot a great gun meant for cast.

Any input would be great!

Here in Australia I would snap it up, if it came with some brass. There seems to be none in Australia currently.
    Is that Ballard rifling at that age? Standard open sights?
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Man
    It is Ballard rifling, and irons. I already have a couple hundred pieces of brass as my buddy has a 70's RC model that we have been prepping to load for.

For U.S. shooters brass won't be a problem, as Grumpa makes them. See here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ired-Mil-brass

Sorry about the state of affairs overseas.

Moderator Emeritus

The "going price" for similar 336 Marlin's in .35REM around here seems to start at $550, with several at gun shows selling for more than $600.00. It seems a great price -- but, there are always the BIG "but's" -- to wit, what does the bore look like? It's furniture? Smoothness of action, not limited to trigger function. Early Marlins had great -- "pre-slop" -- triggers, so this is also a plus. Lastly, of course, this pre-dates the redundant safety (NOT a problem for me, although a lot of collectors don't care for its presence).
    I always listen -- yes, LISTEN to the firearm. If it whispers "buy me!", how could I say no?
    BEST -- it would be hard to go wrong with this firearm!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I always listen -- yes, LISTEN to the firearm. If it whispers "buy me!", how could I say no?
    BEST -- it would be hard to go wrong with this firearm!
    geo
    I must have a hearing problem as every gun says that to me! That started after I left a NIB Winchester lever in 45 lc on the table for $250. I had already bought four other rifles/shotgun. Should have bought it and still think about it even though I am a Marlin guy.

I would say
    BUY IT NOW!
    Really thats a good price on an A.
    Will be expecting pics. soon.

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Man
    Alright ..... You guys confirmed my inner voice. It will be on its way soon. I will definitely post some pics and progress reports. I am needing to order a mold for it. I know the RCBS 200 FN is reported and best. I cast on Magma equipment. Has anyone used one of Tom's molds from accurate?

Thanks ms for the input!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoFireman View Post
    Alright ..... You guys confirmed my inner voice. It will be on its way soon. I will definitely post some pics and progress reports. I am needing to order a mold for it. I know the RCBS 200 FN is reported and best. I cast on Magma equipment. Has anyone used one of Tom's molds from accurate?

Thanks ms for the input!
    Tom's molds are excellent - I have a few {Magma's} and have no problem casting even with flat bottom bullets. I am hoping to have a 35 Rem also, made a trade offer and waiting for an answer.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Man
    Tom's quality is not in question for sure. I am curious if there are any performance differences with his cloned profile. Thinking of having him cut a flat based version to run with Hi-Tek coating in the soon new to me 35 rem. Anyone have any field experiences?