RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    what is it winter in the south side of earth? It's summer here in northern quebec. w00t.

Last winter I got so pissed of the -40 celcius winter that I bought a canada goose expedition parka. Best winter coat I ever bought.
    That thing is so awesome, even when it's -20 out, you can actually get too hot if you do any exercise. I don't freeze anymore during the winter now.
    I bought a pair of their tundra bib overalls also, and their extreme northern mitts (which they dont seem to make anymore, probably because they were too warm).
    The mitts are so warm, even walking at -20 celcius is too warm. The bib overall is awesomely warm also.
    And, I got some -100 boots also. LOVE those.
    With just the parka and the boots, winter now isnt so cold anymore. LOVE it.
    1000 for the coat, 800 for the pants, 200 for the boots, 300 for the mitts. best 2300$ I ever spent.

With all the kit, you can stand still all day at -40 and not be cold. My wife says that I look like a north pole adventurer. I don't care. I am warm when everyone else is freezing.
    With -100 boots that get up to your knees, it's not cold anymore, and I don't care if 2 feet of snow have fallen during the night, I can just get to my jeep and it's not cold anymore.

a little fun tonight! Sized and ready to roll!

love this stuff!

Matt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Labanaktis View Post

a little fun tonight! Sized and ready to roll!

love this stuff!

Matt
    Great looking products. You have done well with it.
    Thanks for your post.

Boolit Buddy
    IS that the zombie green color? Does donnie keep that in stock? If so, I may have to get some.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    IS that the zombie green color? Does donnie keep that in stock? If so, I may have to get some.
    Yes. It is Zombie Green.
    Donnie should have stocks, but not sure, as it was fairly popular colour.
    Just contact him and ask him.
    Hi-Tek

Boolit Mold
    Question about ovens for you guys. I've been looking for a comercial pizza oven and found a lincoln 1301 locally for a good price. The convection has what looks like a dead spot in the middle but using the conveyor should eliminate that issue. Am I correct in my assumption? Has anyone experience with this particular oven? Other option in a lincoln 1132 but shipping and the exchange rate make it much more expensive. Thanks for any info you could send my way.

308W with gold 1035, 170gr GC 3 coats. AC & H/Td. Load runs 2600 fps from 24" 1:10 AR. Not as good as ESPCd, so far. I got some superhard to experiment with, normal alloy is Cu enhanced Hi Sb from Roto. Posted targets & details in hi/Cu alloy thread. Gold is working good in the PB 300BO @ 1800 (loaded another 150 last week), no decision on the 308W yet, I think I got some leading.
    Edit:
    During my testing I noticed I would get a light gray puff of smoke when working up loads. This came at the same time as the accuracy deteriorating. A harder alloy was used and moved the point up in which the light gray puff of smoke was noticed again.
    Valid observation, for PC as well.
    Last edited by popper; 08-01-2015 at 03:35 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post

Andre,
    I have Zombie Green in stock ready to go.
    Donnie
    225 324 4501

Did some testing in my revolver.

-----------------------------------
    Eventus stultorum magister

Boolit Buddy
    Had a chance to meet with Donnie yesterday to pick up my powder while en route to New Orleans. He even took the time to show me around the shop which gave me some ideas on improving my setup. Looked like he was fully stocked up on Hi-Tek powder too!

Quote Originally Posted by rogsir View Post
    Did some testing in my revolver.

What were the results?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    All you blokes that are using the HITEK. Make sure you donate to Keep this forum going.
    I think HITEK Joe will make a sizable donation
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

OK, here goes...

I came back from the range awhile ago, and stripped both my 92fs and the wifes 1911 pro series down. I had fired 180-190 of the new batch of candy apple red through the 92. Rosie had burned 80 through her 1911.
    Her gun hadn't been cleaned for 3 shoots so was understandably dirty up the tube. Mine however I clean each and every time.
    Looking down the bore of mine I was shocked to see that the leading was that bad the last 2" of bore seemed to have no rifling visible whatsoever!!.
    Using a dentist pick I could lift sheets of lead out of the rifling.

Now all the projectiles passed S&W tests, the bake time had been extended from 8 to 14 mins because I had trouble the last time under cooking the coating (Red). Seems the red needs a bit longer.
    Next week I will retry with a batch sized at 358 not 356 like these were, my barrel slugs at 356.2 I had fully expected that the lead would have spread that .0002 at firing. Looks like I may have been wrong.
    Mixture was 20/110 ratio and allowed to stand 1 hour after mixing, just to make sure... Oven is PID controlled. I have had zero problems with all other colours, but this red and the liquid one before, I have had failures in.
    I am not too proud to admit when I have failures and also am open to possible correctional theories.
    I will let you know how the next batch sized to 358 go and whether that was my issue.

Cheers... Mike.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Grem. Was the 1911 OK with the same pills sized the same as used in the *** 92FS.

I hate Beretta handguns. So much variation in their bore sizes.

I have tested 4 new reds. They are the "V" series coatings.

Deep burgundy is super shiny and smooth. So is Blood Red and Patriot Red.
    These V series bake at shorter time. 10 minutes instead of 12 works with these reds.
    Going to try higher temp for shorter time.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Grem. Was the 1911 OK with the same pills sized the same as used in the *** 92FS.

I hate Beretta handguns. So much variation in their bore sizes.

I have tested 4 new reds. They are the "V" series coatings.

Deep burgundy is super shiny and smooth. So is Blood Red and Patriot Red.
    These V series bake at shorter time. 10 minutes instead of 12 works with these reds.
    Going to try higher temp for shorter time.
    Trev I honestly cant say, the 1911 had limited leading, cleaned out real easy, but it had not been cleaned for 3-4 shoots, so I would be guessing and don't wish to do that, I have cleaned them both and will go back to the range in 2 weeks. Its closed next week for a comp.

As for the 92, I kinda like it, a lot, it is definitely not a IPSC gun, and will never be a 0MOA gun, but, it is sooo comfortable to shoot, it eats anything I feed it, it does well at 10 pin and steel challenges. I know the bore 356.2 therefore I cast accordingly. Bore discrepancy only is an issue with store bought ammo IMHO, when you cast, you cast to what your gun needs.. so size is a none issue.

I am just hung out on the reds.. the reasoning behind my baking for 14 mins, is the belief that a longer bake produces a slightly darker colour, but a too short bake produces unusable projectiles. So is it better to go darker and be sure the coating has hardened?.
    I can drop a handful in a postpak and you can let my know your opinion..

My .45 Colt loads fails with boolits made for the .45 acp. The sweet spot for these seems to be around 800 to 850 fps. N310, N320 and Titegroup loads are in progress.
    In 454 Casull and 460M the 370 grs boolit from MP-molds seems to be a winner. Close to 1500 fps and no leading. Nice group on 25 and 60 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    OK, here goes...

I came back from the range awhile ago, and stripped both my 92fs and the wifes 1911 pro series down. I had fired 180-190 of the new batch of candy apple red through the 92. Rosie had burned 80 through her 1911.
    Her gun hadn't been cleaned for 3 shoots so was understandably dirty up the tube. Mine however I clean each and every time.
    Looking down the bore of mine I was shocked to see that the leading was that bad the last 2" of bore seemed to have no rifling visible whatsoever!!.
    Using a dentist pick I could lift sheets of lead out of the rifling.

Now all the projectiles passed S&W tests, the bake time had been extended from 8 to 14 mins because I had trouble the last time under cooking the coating (Red). Seems the red needs a bit longer.
    Next week I will retry with a batch sized at 358 not 356 like these were, my barrel slugs at 356.2 I had fully expected that the lead would have spread that .0002 at firing. Looks like I may have been wrong.
    Mixture was 20/110 ratio and allowed to stand 1 hour after mixing, just to make sure... Oven is PID controlled. I have had zero problems with all other colours, but this red and the liquid one before, I have had failures in.
    I am not too proud to admit when I have failures and also am open to possible correctional theories.
    I will let you know how the next batch sized to 358 go and whether that was my issue.

Cheers... Mike.
    I experienced exactly the same thing in the following 9MM handguns using the Gold.

STI Trojan 5"
    Norinco NP 29
    M&P PRO 5"
    CZ 75 Shadowline
    CZ 85 Combat
    CZ Compact
    M&P FS
    Mike it isn't your gun or it's bore size or anything else you may have done wrong. I have been down this road for the past two months.

Augsglock made a similar comment about my M&P when I first posted problems with my 9MM bullets. I have tried the following "fixes" to date with no success yet with bullets shot in the above guns:

1. Sized bullets .356 and .357
    2. I have heat treated bullets after coating by baking them at 415F for one hour and dropping them into cold water
    3. I have dropped them into cold water after each coating
    4. I have sized them after the 1st coat and also on the 2nd coat (Obviously not on the same batch of bullets.)
    5. I have shot 158gr & 200 gr bullets coated at the same time, using the same mixture and baked at the same time as `125 gr bullets destined for the 9MM. Bullets shot in the 38spl and 45Colt shot fine with NO leading. The 9mm bullets shot and cooked at the same time provided the same results as you encountered.
    6. Given the variety of handguns I have used to test the bullets in and given the same results have been witnessed and having used the only two viable sizing dies for the 9MM i think it is fair to say slugging the bores would just be a waste of time. If the product isn't working in the list of guns above and now the 92 I would suggest something else is the problem.

I am currently discussing this problem with Leadman on this site and hope we can come up with a solution. It would appear using WW allloy, which is what I use, the coating will not stand up to the pressures of the 9MM. It may be just the alloy is to soft. That said I experience no leading in my guns using regular lube so even the alloy may not be the problem. The product does work in my 38 spl and 45Colt. Both calibers operate at significantly lower operating pressures.

I wonder if I have a bad batch of powder? We shall see what September brings.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Kind of had some problems with my .40's My Para load to go was 29mm OAL with WW. All was fine. Could shoot all day no problems or leading. Last summer i got my hands on a SVI for match use. And i did not get it to work with my load. Added Sb 1% at time with no luck. Read some stuff about starting pressure/OAL. Tested some and my load is now 30,5mm and works in both pistols with WW alloy.

Boolit Master
    hey robert, my 9mm leads no matter what I do with hi tek and COWW alloy. The alloy is probably too soft for 9mm.
    I have loaded 50 with PB gas checks, but never had time to shoot. I have a baby at home and work a lot...
    Will let you know as soon as I can shoot the GC ones.

I have 50 with, and 50 without. I'll shoot the 50 with, check bore, and then shoot the 50 without.

If it requires PB checks to shoot my ****ty alloy with hitek, I'll use checks... or give PC another try.

Oh I know this is not the coating, this problem is be *I* have not got my system working correctly.
    If your casts are the correct size for your bore, over or undersize makes no matter.
    IF your coating regime is correct.
    If your load pressures and OAL is correct.
    and
    If your lead is of the correct physical make up,
    then everything will work just fine.
    I obviously am overlooking or have an issue in my procedure.
    After near 2 years of HiTec this is the first time I have had leading of this level. My lead composition has always been the same. Like I said in a prior post, I used 356 sized cast instead of the normal 358 I have always used, and that alone could have caused the results I saw.