Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paco Kelly Hollow Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter View Post
    After I posted the original post I went down the basement and stuck a piece of cold roll into the lathe. This is what I came up with. This is the Lee Bator bullet after my home made hollow pointer.
    Nighthunter
    Nighthunter do you have a link to a picture?
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Sorry didn't see the dates of the previous post. Any other updates from anyone else.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I have an older version. They work for me. But I don't shoot enough .22 (who has .22 ammo to shoot any more?) to make a statistical proof sheet...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Perma-Banned

Great, now I have to get one!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    A couple years ago I made a tool to insert the 22 shell into and left the point exposed. I then took a razor sharp hand plane blade and shaved the tip off. Of all the different types of cartridges I tried it ruined the accuracy on all of them. Tossed it aside as experiment that didn't work and went back to factory shells.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    The difference between what you did and what the AccuRzR does is that his tool "bumps" the soft lead to better fit the bore (all .22s are undersized).

The rest of the nose tools are not there to effect accuracy as much as to change terminal performance.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Buddy
    All I know just shaving the tip ruined the accuracy of every brand I used. The tool I saw was similar to what I made but they were using clippers to chop off the tip. Don't know abt bumping the bullet didn't try that nor did I try hollow pointing. A home made experiment that didn't work.

I tried to contact Mr Kelly to buy one and got no response so made my own.

What I don't like about Mr Kelly's tool is there is no 'stop' and forming is by 'feel'. My forming rods have a shoulder that stop on the half collar then the collar is removed and the rod used to pushed the formed round out.

I used it in a 1/2 ton arbor press. Works GREAT.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I wish you weren't in NZ. I would definitely have you make me one.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine from Paco has two sizers. I have .221,.222, .223, and .224 sizing diameters that the boolits are sized to, sized down or swaged up when hollow pointed. Just saying.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Interesting replies guys, thanks. However, I'm still looking for more information on the 'Acu'rzr". Does his concept work, converting the standard round nose bullet to basically a mini wad cutter? And in doing so, does it improve the accuracy that much? I'm interested in your replies. Thank you..

Boolit Grand Master

Yes to the above. It also makes it harder to chamber, though, as any wadcutter will be. Mine works better, as previously mentioned, with the cup point hollow pointer rather than the mini wad cutter that results from his hollow point with a pin in the middle. After saying that, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, and I'm not sure anything will help a Thunderbolt.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I don't have the hollow-point tool, but I did buy one of his early flat-point and swaging tool. It would enlarge the body of the bullet to 0.223" or 0.224" depending on which hole was used. I did some formal testing with it. Using Winchester white-box economy bulk bullets, it increased the accuracy of them quite a bit. I think that the 0.224" dimension was the more accurate one. I also tried it on some Remington Target ammo. It did nothing to improve them, and may have reduced the accuracy a little bit.

It never really became comfortable with hammering on the nose of a rimfire cartridge, but they never went off. I used a soft pine board under the base. It took a lot of time to do this. From a time vs money standpoint, I decided that buying Remington Target ammo was the better way to go when I wanted more than plinking accuracy.

HARRY: That's why I use the arbor press. It's a lot more gentle. My tool swages to 0.2248 with great results.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I'm not sure anything will help a Thunderbolt.
    Yes the bulk pack suck but just had an 8 yr old GK who never shot anything before do pretty well (better than me anyway) with the boxed ones. Bull barrel mark III at ~ 10 yds and he was getting 1" group free handed - he's pretty skinny too. I think he thought you had to shoot 'by the numbers' on the sized numbered targets, he did very well on the smallest #1. Also no jams like the bulk junk. Still pretty dirty stuff. Yes, I'm proud of him, he did bust a clay with 20Ga but needed help holding up the barrel on the youth 870. His slightly older brother did equally well with a sub compact 9 and a double on clays.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I used one that flattended the nose and made the bullet .224" for a Ruger SS. I couldn't get it to shoot 22lr worth a hoot due to the barrel being the 22 mag diameter. With Kelly's tool, it made it a squirrel killer! But that was back when.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Forster makes a hollow pointer for their case trimmer tool. It won't bump the size but can make a hollow point and adjust bullet weight.
    http://www.forsterproducts.com/store...92&catid=19938
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Yes I always wanted to try that tool, but I've heard good things and bad, just like everything else.
    Blacksmith do you have one? How well centered is the hp? To bad you can't use different dia. drill bits.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by minmax View Post
    Yes I always wanted to try that tool, but I've heard good things and bad, just like everything else.
    Blacksmith do you have one? How well centered is the hp? To bad you can't use different dia. drill bits.
    Yes I have one and it is well centered since you are using the case trimmer to line everything up. I am going to buy the other size, I have the 1/8" one, just to have on hand. If you had access to a lathe it would not be hard to make custom sizes.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Thanks for the reminder. I have one that got put away a few years ago and I need to get it out.