Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of it....

Talk me out of it....

A local gun shop with a great owner has a Green Mountain Barrel left over that is new in box. The barrel is 54 cal and is 1 in 7 twist. I am certain I can work out a trade as the barrel has set there on a shelf for well over a year. The twist seems mighty fast to me...why such a fast twist?...I assume heavy long bullets?...any recommended load data? Words of wisdom, various thoughts or smart remarks would be appreciated.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master
    Yes, 7" twist in 54 cal is so fast it strains imagination to figure a use for it. A 45 cal centerfire high power rifle for jacketed loads with 14" twist is considered somewhat fast.

You could run a tight patch down the bore to confirm the twist. If it is that fast, I'd grin and run away from it.

54 caliber muzzle loading barrel with a 1 in 7 twist?? 1 in 77" maybe for round ball?
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Perma-Banned
    i believe you'll find it's 1 in 70 twist, not 1 in 7. 1 in 70 is Green Mountain's standard roundball twist while 1 in 28 is their standard twist for conicals.

Gents...I was thinking the same thing. Didn't make since to me either, but new barrels like that are hard to come by these days. Rest assured, if it was a 1 in 70...I would already have it. I might check the box again to make sure, I suppose the zero could be missing or didn't print...heck I don't know.....I do know its not just torn off as I would have seen it right away......darn now I'm gonna have to drive the next town north to find out.
    Last edited by waarp8nt; 07-24-2015 at 10:08 PM. Reason: heck I don't know...

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I got a 32" 1:70 GreenMountain barrel on my Renegade and it'll stack round balls on a target like olives on a toothpick.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 07-24-2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: because it's Friday
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Perm-Banned
    its not a 1/7 twist as the bullet would look like a arrow. check it with a tight lubed patch on a ramrod that dont slip. measure it when it makes one turn marked at the muzzle. that will give you the twist. sure it will be a good round ball barrel as a 1/70 twist for a .54 will shoot them right.

It's a 1:70 twist.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    its not a 1/7 twist as the bullet would look like a arrow. check it with a tight lubed patch on a ramrod that dont slip. measure it when it makes one turn marked at the muzzle. that will give you the twist. sure it will be a good round ball barrel as a 1/70 twist for a .54 will shoot them right.
    One full turn in 70" twist would be a trick in a normal length 54 cal barrel

If it makes about 1/2 turn or a little less in a normal length barrel, pretty good bet it will be a fairly slow roundball twist.

Boolit Buddy

It most certainly is a 1:70 twist as has been stated.

You better get it as it is a fine shooter. I have one myself.

Attachment 145315

Picture for proof of what I was reading...1 in 7 twist. The shop owner and I took the new barrel out of the packaging and checked the twist with a patch ram rod. It turned almost 1/2 turn, leaving us to believe the barrel to be 1 in 70 which makes a whole lot more since.

The barrel won't do me any good as I have Renegades with 1 inch barrels.

The barrel is 15/16 32 inches long in .54 cal. Shop owner is asking $225.00 + shipping if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by waarp8nt; 07-25-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: I have Renegades

Boolit Master
    Barrel was meant for a Hawken not a Renagade stock. Maybe someone had G/M custom make this 1-7 twist for em. Then never bothered to pick it up from the shop He ordered it thru. $ 225.00 nope!! $35.00 maybe.
    Hey anyone know if a T/C 15/16ths channel can handle a heavily charged 58 bore?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Barrel was meant for a Hawken not a Renagade stock. Maybe someone had G/M custom make this 1-7 twist for em. Then never bothered to pick it up from the shop He ordered it thru. $ 225.00 nope!! $35.00 maybe.
    Yes, likely for a T/C Hawken. But read through the thread…. the OP has determined that it is a 70" twist barrel. And nope, it's not a $35 barrel!

Perma-Banned
    a couple strips of thin shims or a bit of beddin' compound in yer barrel channel & it'll go right on yer Renegade stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    If you mean can a 15/16" barrel be freshed out to .58 cal, the answer is no.

Duane

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    a couple strips of thin shims or a bit of beddin' compound in yer barrel channel & it'll go right on yer Renegade stock.
    ^^^ Thought about a Pecatonica River stock upgrade, but the property tax man hit me hard with my new shed and taking over the hobby farm. 160% increase over what my parents paid the last few years...<insert cuss words>

Gun shop owner also has a Green Mountain 1 inch barrel 1 in 28 that is aprox. 28 inches long, I believe 50 cal., but lost interest when it was 1 in 28. He is asking $212, but I prefer round ball twist so I am out on that one too. My one inch barrels are all in good shape. Not for me to spend money without a need...not at this time

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    . And nope, it's not a $35 barrel!
    With all due respect._ Maybe to you its not a 35.00 barrel. But I knowing that the current owner (gun dealer) is wanting a substantial amount of ($) beyond what the barrel originally sold for. And too because this particular (discontinued) barrel is not in high demand nor ever has been. My fore mentioned comments are the reasons why I think this specific barrel is only worth $35.00 sir.

Perma-Banned
    $225.00 was a very reasonable price for a Green Mountain roundball twist barrel & $212.00 an awesome price for a LRH(long range hunter) drop-in barrel BEFORE they discontinued them. it's practically a give away price for one NOW. you could put it on evil-bay or gunbroker & make a nice profit on it. if I didn't need my available cash for another matter both of these would be on their way to my house.
    Last edited by bubba.50; 07-26-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: add info

Boolit Master
    Or he could make it a Paper Patched bullet shooter.

Boolit Man
    talk you out of it huh, sounds like you prolly got doubts about buying it so maybe you shouldn't and if you pm me the shops name and ph number i will take it and you wont be tempted .
    Last edited by crossxsticks; 07-28-2015 at 11:03 AM.