MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The 1911 Is DEAD?? HUH????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Of course you are right and everything you say is logical but when ut comes to nostalgia and memories there is no place for logic. The 1911 will live on in competitions such as IPSC/USPSA and IDPA and in the minds of vets until the last from Vietnam join their comrades then maybe you will see the decline in interest. Until then the old mystical war horse will live on. Not in the hands of the young but in the wrinkled weathered hands of the wise...at least for another two decades.

Take Care

Bob
    I carried my 1911 through Iraq during OIF, along with every other place they sent me, so it's not just Vietnam vets who think of if fondly. And it is still issued to some units, so it won't be dying anytime during our lifetimes, regardless how much the plastic fans wish it would. Like I said before, I have, use, and trust the Glocks I have also, but have a strong preference for the 1911.
    Last edited by Lonegun1894; 07-16-2015 at 06:51 AM.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah.....Right !
    Don't believe everything you read. I also read the 40 S&W was going to make the 9 mm Luger and 45 ACP obsolete....not believing that one either.
    Gary

It's worth pointing out to those who vehemently defend the honor of the 1911, there's a lot of different hands out there. What fits one won't fit all. Glock proved that. Their stuff fits little euro girly hands. I had to spend a good bit of time with a Dremel tool and a wood burning kit to get mine to fit.
    Ive had several 1911's and shot several I could never afford. (Nighthawk Ed brown and Wilson) I can't hit squat with one. They feel very clumsy in my hands. I can hit with a modified Glock.
    The XD was the best fit I've ever felt but they're pretty top heavy.

Everyone is different. I would opine that any 1911 is a worthless boat anchor. The guy in the shooting lane next to me says the same about plastic fantastic. I can't stand anything with an exposed hammer. The next guy despises striker fired weapons. Ain't it great to be free to make the choice for yourself?

In terms of numbers sold the 1911 isn't dead but certainly not feeding as many families as it once did. It will be around as long as I am alive and like the SAA will always be apart of American folk lore. In terms of number of units sold I would think the various models of 1911's made pale in comparison to the sales of the Glock models and M&P's to name just two. Anyway all of this is interesting but as someone mentioned above if JMB was around today he would have taken the striker fired concept beyond anything Glock or S&W have managed. Isn't the big pistol seller now some pocket pee shooter firing that devastating round the .380. I would refer those guns as boutique guns for the fashion crowd or the gun industry's latest cash cow for their executive's bonus.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Isn't the big pistol seller now some pocket pee shooter
    Ya, or some hybrid jack of all trades wheelgun that I just don't get.....

It's all in the marketing.

Banned
    In terms of number of units sold I would think the various models of 1911's made pale in comparison to the sales of the Glock models and M&P's to name just two.

Take Care

Bob
    Don't be too sure about that. A few pages back, I posted a some data that showed that the 1911 consistently outsold Glock in both new and used sales on gunbroker (probably the largest gun marketplace in the world). The M&P didn't fare much better.

The 1911 is still selling like crazy, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Why has the Browning Hi-Power not survived such as the 1911 has???
    Thrived might be a better word. I'm not sure that JMB was the sole designer of the Hi Power and several improvements have been made over the years. The magazine was way ahead of its time. Hi Powers have always been pricey and limited in #'s. The market for Hi Cap 9mm is very competitive and labor costs have nearly priced them out of business.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    It's worth pointing out to those who vehemently defend the honor of the 1911, there's a lot of different hands out there. What fits one won't fit all. Glock proved that. Their stuff fits little euro girly hands. I had to spend a good bit of time with a Dremel tool and a wood burning kit to get mine to fit.
    Ive had several 1911's and shot several I could never afford. (Nighthawk Ed brown and Wilson) I can't hit squat with one. They feel very clumsy in my hands. I can hit with a modified Glock.
    The XD was the best fit I've ever felt but they're pretty top heavy.

Everyone is different. I would opine that any 1911 is a worthless boat anchor. The guy in the shooting lane next to me says the same about plastic fantastic. I can't stand anything with an exposed hammer. The next guy despises striker fired weapons. Ain't it great to be free to make the choice for yourself?
    I am very much a 1911 fan and own several and like the older models of S&W revolvers also, but not much of a fan of the glock.
    Regardless of all that, NONE of them are worth a GOOD G*D D**N if you can't hit the target under difficult circumstances and I don't mean target plunking. The few times I was in that sort of position I had either and M14 or an M16.

Just my 2C

Quote Originally Posted by quickdraw66 View Post
    Don't be too sure about that. A few pages back, I posted a some data that showed that the 1911 consistently outsold Glock in both new and used sales on gunbroker (probably the largest gun marketplace in the world). The M&P didn't fare much better.

The 1911 is still selling like crazy, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    Sales on Gunbroker mean nothing. It is new manufactured gun sales you have to track. Too, Glock is but one of the models now chasing the LEO and Military market around the world. The 1911 is certainly a popular platform nobody would suggest otherwise but in shear volumes Glock alone I suspect would sell more new guns in a year than all the new 1911 sales combined. I have no idea what the fascination is for the Glock other than the Glock 17 sells to LEO Departments for under $500US. The only 1911 that sells in that price point that I am aware of are the Norincos we get up here for $349Cdn or approx. $290 US. Allow th importation of that gun into the US and I suspect the old 1911 would get youthful legs in a hurry.

Youngmman has the answer to why the 1911 is not going to return as a main pistol for anyone's Army soon. Given a choice, as an infantry soldier do you want a 43 oz. pistol in a chest holster or 43oz. more rifle ammunition?

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

while both 45acp models made by Glock and S&W are winning CDP
    Doesn't look like they have at nationals in a few years.

TULSA, Okla. – For the third year in a row, Wilson Combat’s Glenn Shelby took the Custom Defensive Pistol division national title at the International Defensive Pistol Association’s (IDPA) U.S. National Championship.
    http://www.idpa.com/blog/?tag=/Glenn+Shelby

Banned
    Sales on Gunbroker mean nothing. It is new manufactured gun sales you have to track. Too, Glock is but one of the models now chasing the LEO and Military market around the world. The 1911 is certainly a popular platform nobody would suggest otherwise but in shear volumes Glock alone I suspect would sell more new guns in a year than all the new 1911 sales combined. I have no idea what the fascination is for the Glock other than the Glock 17 sells to LEO Departments for under $500US. The only 1911 that sells in that price point that I am aware of are the Norincos we get up here for $349Cdn or approx. $290 US. Allow th importation of that gun into the US and I suspect the old 1911 would get youthful legs in a hurry.

Youngmman has the answer to why the 1911 is not going to return as a main pistol for anyone's Army soon. Given a choice, as an infantry soldier do you want a 43 oz. pistol in a chest holster or 43oz. more rifle ammunition?

Take Care

Bob
    There are several good 1911s for under $500.

Gunbroker makes a ton of sales, and is the worlds largest gun marketplace so to say that data means nothing is completely false.

What were last years glock sales numbers, or are you just assuming they sell more?

The American civilian market far outnumbers the LEO market, and the US military does not use Glock or the M&P.

Are Gunbrokers sales new manufactured guns or used guns? New sales count...used guns sales have been counted. Glocks are not the only pistols being made nor are M&P's for that matter. The 1911 is a great design and certainly will be around for a long time but it's day as a mainstream LEO or Military pistol are long gone.

How many new 1911's made in the US sell for under $500? Answer is NONE. What pistol caliber is the most popular these days....9MM by a lot. I love my 1911's but they are relatively expensive and despite all the comments are nor more reliable than many other designs the model competes with eg SIG 226, CZ 75B, Glock, M&P, Beretta 92's etc. In 20 years most of ther 60's generation will have completed their journey and I suspect the polymer fan club will be still shooting their beloved Glocks and M&P's and wondering what all the fuss was about with a hammer fired 43 oz steel pistol with the need for two to three safeties depending on the model. Maybe somebody will invent a sport similar to Cowboy Action thus securing a market for the 1911.

Bob

Banned
    Are Gunbrokers sales new manufactured guns or used guns? New sales count...used guns sales have been counted. Glocks are not the only pistols being made nor are M&P's for that matter. The 1911 is a great design and certainly will be around for a long time but it's day as a mainstream LEO or Military pistol are long gone.

How many new 1911's made in the US sell for under $500? Answer is NONE. What pistol caliber is the most popular these days....9MM by a lot. I love my 1911's but they are relatively expensive and despite all the comments are nor more reliable than many other designs the model competes with eg SIG 226, CZ 75B, Glock, M&P, Beretta 92's etc. In 20 years most of ther 60's generation will have completed their journey and I suspect the polymer fan club will be still shooting their beloved Glocks and M&P's and wondering what all the fuss was about with a hammer fired 43 oz steel pistol with the need for two to three safeties depending on the model. Maybe somebody will invent a sport similar to Cowboy Action thus securing a market for the 1911.

Bob
    Gunbroker sells both new and used guns, and the 1911 was outselling the glock and the M&P in BOTH categories.

So you don't have the numbers to back up your claims then? That makes yours claims nothing more than assumptions, and once again you are wrong. The Remington 1911R1 sells for around $500 and had been known to go on sale for around $450-$480. You have no idea what you are talking about. Now either back up your claims with ACTUAL evidence (sales numbers), or stop making them.

And yes, I will put my 1911 up against any Glock any day of the week. It is reliable and extremely accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe somebody will invent a sport similar to Cowboy Action thus securing a market for the 1911.
    It's called Wild Bunch. Sarcasm noted.

Anyone that discounts the dominance of the 1911 in the high end pistol competitions, currently usage by the various special forces/high risk units, the twenty to thirty companies currently producing 1911’s, the plethora of aftermarket parts and it new and used sale figures is delusional.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-17-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by youngmman View Post
    I am very much a 1911 fan and own several and like the older models of S&W revolvers also, but not much of a fan of the glock.
    Regardless of all that, NONE of them are worth a GOOD G*D D**N if you can't hit the target under difficult circumstances and I don't mean target plunking. The few times I was in that sort of position I had either and M14 or an M16.

Just my 2C
    Exactly. A .25 acp that hits beats a .500 S&W that misses.

Vendor Sponsor

Maybe somebody will invent a sport similar to Cowboy Action thus securing a market for the 1911.
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    It's called Wild Bunch.
    Those matches look like a lot of fun too! Wish we had one around here!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

How many new 1911's made in the US sell for under $500? Answer is NONE. What pistol caliber is the most popular these days....9MM by a lot.
    Bob
    From GrabAGun for 1911’s under $500.00 you can pick from various High Standard’s, Armcor Rock Island’s, Taurus’s, Auto Ordnance’s, American Classic’s, Taylor’s, Cimarron’s, Chiappa’s and Import Sports 1911’s

For under $600.00 you can have Citadel Firearms 1911’s, Umerax’s,Howa Citadel’s, American Tactical, Sprinfield’s, Bersa’s, Iver Johnson’s, IO INC Venom’s, Para USA’s, Remington’s and Ruger’s

Not too bad for a dying gun and this DOES NOT include the numerous 22 cal 1911’s nor the scaled down 380 1911’s.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-17-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

. What pistol caliber is the most popular these days....9MM by a lot.
    Bob
    You can get 1911's in:

.50 GI
    .45ACP
    .45GAP
    .45 Super
    .45 Win Mag.
    .451 Detonics
    .455 Webley Auto
    460 Rowland
    .41 Avenger
    .41 Action Express
    .41 Magnum
    10mm Mag
    10mm Auto
    .40 S&W
    .400 Corbon
    .40 Super
    .40 G&A
    380 ACP
    .38 ACP
    .38 Super
    .38 AMU
    .38 Special
    .38 SA
    .357/45 Bain & Davis
    357 Mag.
    .356 TSW
    9x23mm Winchester
    9mm Parabellum (9x19mm)
    9mm Steyr
    9x21
    9x25 Dillon
    7.92x24mm
    7.65mm .30 Luger
    .22 LR
    and I am sure there are others but it's still not bad for a dying gun.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-17-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Youngmman has the answer to why the 1911 is not going to return as a main pistol for anyone's Army soon. Bob
    No one on this forum HAS to answer to anything.

As to if a 1911 style pistol is ever coming back check this out. http://bearingarms.com/top-three-con...stem-contract/

STI-Detonics STX

An early Detonics Defense STX prototype.

Who?

Neither Detonics Defense nor STI are household names, nor are they even particularly well-known among other gun companies. Detonics Defense is primarily a research and development “skunkworks” focused creating designs and patents around combat human factors research, while STI is primarily known as the maker of high-end competition handguns and elite military and law enforcement units. Together, they form a singular Davids in a roomful of handgun industry Goliaths.

The two companies formed a strategic partnership just two weeks ago to build a number of different modular handguns using patents held by Detonics, incorporating STI’s vaunted engineering and production prowess. Looking roughly like a 1911, the STX uses a drop-in striker box system that can be easily swapped out with other trigger packs, is caliber agnostic, uses a truly modular frame and grip that enables either a long or a short grip to be installed, has felt recoil up to 40% less than comparable designs, and is perhaps the only contender that exceeds the MHS spec for fitting various hand sizes.

Interestingly enough, the STX is also the only metal-framed handgun thought to be in contention for the contract, which may be a dual blessing for the upstart team. The U.S. military has never fielded a polymer-frame firearm to the masses, and there have been persistent rumors that the military has found problems with polymer handgun frames holding up in certain operational environments.

While STI-Detonics may not have the production capability of the other contending companies, that could be rendered an irrelevant point if the MHS contract is awarded based on an intellectual property package (IPP) basis, and is produced in-house by the Army.
    Given a choice, as an infantry soldier do you want a 43 oz. pistol in a chest holster or 43oz. more rifle ammunition?

I never had to fire a shot in combat but I did carry an M9. Given a choice I would have carried a double stack 1911 in 45 acp. No firearm is perfect of all uses. The 1911 does some things really well but it requires more training than the Glock style striker fired pistols. It is not the best choice for the untrained masses but it excels in the hands of experts.

For what I was doing a rifle not practical and 43oz of rifle ammunition would have been useless.

http://bearingarms.com/modular-handg...auto-ak-video/

The Detonics design offers the military the .45 ACP cartridge that they’d like to return to with a double-stack magazines, the modularity to mix-and-match among officer, commander, and full-size frames and top-ends, and the ability to use either a traditional 1911 single-action top-end (MTX), or a new striker-fired upper (STX). The upper sits on top of an advanced, low bore axis recoil-eating grip that holds a double-stack .45 magazine that is still as thin as a single stack 1911, all on a metal-frame (which the military prefers over polymer for durability reasons), that has very little muzzle flip and felt recoil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STX1.JPG  
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-17-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Banned
    8 pages about a hypothetical 1911 argument.........amazing !!!

If I stated a thread titled "1911" and included zero substance I wonder if it would reach 142 posts ?