Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Trimming - .223 - yea or nea

Boolit Man

Case Trimming - .223 - yea or nea

my trimmer always needs adj.. i seem to be chasing "0" alot.

starting to wondering if trimming .223 is worth the effort.

i'm thinking, when its out of spec... toss it. it's cheap.

using it in a bolt action, & when it gets to long, use it one more time for blaster
    ammo in a semi-auto.

what do you guys do ?

thank, gordie

Boolit Master
    How about when it gets out of spec you box them up and send them to me for proper disposal?
    I have a new RCBS power trim pro that is just itching for a stress test..

Boolit Master
    I want my crimps to be uniform. Only way I know to achieve that is if brass is all the same length, imo +-.001" shouldn't hurt. BTW, what kind of trimmer do you have? I have an old Herters, that I bought used, and have been using it for 30 some years, and if I take my time to get it adjusted, it stays pretty much the same. Just did over 1k of .223 brass and hardly any difference in length to speak of.

bhn22
    You must have a lot more disposable income than most. Some 223 brass needs trimming after each firing.

If it's that cheap just buy a lot of it trim it once and then throw it my way.

Boolit Grand Master

Use the Lee or Lyman trimmer tools with a fixed length case gauge. No adjustment, just check to make sure the case length tool is the correct length after trimming a case. I have had a couple of the Lee gauges that were too short. Even then the trimmed cases would be all the same length.

Boolit Buddy
    Trim it when it needs it.

I think the world's finest trimmers are $75, seems like it would pay for itself.

Boolit Master
    Post above nailed it. If you don't have a uniform case length, you can't get a uniform taper crimp. If the crimp isn't exactly the same, different bullet pull and point of impact all other things being equal. I also agree with the +- .001 tolerance, that's what I use as well. I find when I trim LC mil brass, I get about 4 trims out of it before I start to see neck cracks. Trimming for me is done in a drill press with a piloted counter bore with cases clamped in a fixture in a machinist Cardinal speed vise with jaws machined to the case profile, a depth stop set on the drill press spindle. Using this setup to trim makes me wait until I have at least 1000 to do to bother with the setup. Once setup, cases trim very fast and accurate. I can process 8 or more cases this way in the time it takes to do 1 with a Lyman Universal case trimmer. Even if you are not as fussy about the OAL tolerance, don't let them get more than +.005, your groups will open up big time fast.
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    I had no idea so many people trim 223 brass, don'think I have ever seen a case that was in danger of being too long to properly chamber. At least in my rifles the end of the chamber is .045 and .056 longer than the max length on a saami drawing.

I check all of them. Most Federal commercial brass is .010 short, I just square them. I trim all the rest to 1.755. You want good results on paper then you need uniform brass and uniform crimp. I also uniform all flash holes and clean primer pockets.

Had no problems since I switched to a Wilson trimmer. I do a fair amount of trimming making 300BO from 223.

Boolit Master
    My experience has been that milsurp is usually about .010"-.020" longer, while Federals are .010" under.

Boolit Master
    I have made some untrimmed that locked up my brother's AR Hard in a class. he end up pulling over 500 rounds to fix them. At $75 the *** is a great trimmer and very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by sdcitizen View Post
    I had no idea so many people trim 223 brass, don'think I have ever seen a case that was in danger of being too long to properly chamber. At least in my rifles the end of the chamber is .045 and .056 longer than the max length on a saami drawing.

Boolit Man
    thanks for everyone's feed-back...

i think i will check into the "fixed length case gauge" model...

Boolit Master
    Buy what you want but I have had no problems since I switched to a Wilson trimmer.
    I also use Small Base Dies on any brass I buy that is once fired or pickup at the range.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I've used the WFT for thousands of trims and it is fast and fairly consistent so long as your giving consistent pressure but tiring on the hands. I just bought an RCBS universal case prep center and am looking forward to giving it a workout once I get a batch of LC 223 brass processed.

Boolit Master

Those of you who trim, has your experience for the need to trim varied with whether the loads were near max velocity/pressure or more moderate loadings? 45 ACP is reputed to actually shorten. 35 Remington has the reputation of minimal growth, allegedly because of moderate pressures.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Those of you who trim, has your experience for the need to trim varied with whether the loads were near max velocity/pressure or more moderate loadings? 45 ACP is reputed to actually shorten. 35 Remington has the reputation of minimal growth, allegedly because of moderate pressures.
    In my experience it varies with the pressure of the load, type of brass, the design of the cartridge and the individual gun.

Usually when fire forming new brass, especially with bottleneck cartridges, the first firing will shorten the case a little. Then, if the cases are not overly resized, they will start to lengthen with each firing.

New brass is usually, by nature and on purpose, a little undersized so they will easily chamber all manner of chambers within that caliber. That first firing expands the case to the chamber. In that process brass to fill the chamber, especially in the upper body/shoulder area, has to come from somewhere. Brass is pulled from both the body and from the neck…. thereby shortening the case. If the brass is not overly resized by the sizing die after that first firing, then the pressure will move or flow the brass forward thus increasing it's length a little with each re-loading and firing.

The phenomenon of shortening at the first firing, is especially evident when fire forming a standard case into an improved case.

Boolit Master
    gordie. If you are loading for a bolt action rifle why are you full length sizing? I'd be neck only sizing for that puppy which btw means you'll very likely will not have to trim them for many cycles.

Suggestion#2: RCBS X-DIE. Yes they work.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    I always trim mine on Dillon case trimmer