Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawken Heaven, originals...

Boolit Mold
    BrentD,
    What is the history of the rifle you posted in the picture?

Boolit Master
    I don't really know. I believe it was at the Cody museum for a while, then sold to someone in New Mexico. I think the museum that was mentioned at the start of this thread - which I think is a private museum but I don't really know that either. I have been told that there are 2, possibly 3, known pistol grip Hawkins. This is the only one that I have ever seen in a photo. I know nothing about the whereabouts of the other(s?).

I really like it though so I am slowly building one like it.

Boolit Mold
    Many thanks. First time I've ever saw it, I really like it also. Can I ask what the specs are on the one you're building?

Boolit Master
    Mine has a lighter barrel - .54 Green Mt. I will cut it at 34" I think. I'm making up a dummy stock of cheap maple and bondo and then will make a final stock in either sugar maple or walnut. Lock is a Bob Roller. Mine will be a hunting gun and little lighter than that original.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, again, I would like to see a picture when you get it completed. I've been planning a full stock Hawken flinter, but now I'm thinking about this.

Boolit Master
    I always fancied this one at the Smithsonian
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by doc1876 View Post
    I always fancied this one at the Smithsonian

I believe that is known as the Kennett Hawken.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Exit 299 on I-25 North.

The Museum is owned by James Gordon. A mile south in town is Jeff Hengesbaugh. He owns the Beckwourth rifle. I get to go back this fall and shoot it, and maybe the other two.

Boolit Buddy

So how does one go about contacting these folks to have the opportunity to see these rifles ?
    " I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley