Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Has anybody used 777 in a .58 Minie rifle?

BP is not evil nasty stuff and 777 is not God's gift to the ML world either. Both have their place. You will never get the accuracy with the substitutes that you can with BP but that accuracy does require work such as blow tubes, wiping between shots etc. Eh, to each is own.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

Nasty to clean? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Boolit Master
    777 is not to be compressed. so ramming a MINNIE down in to it would compress it I believe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    777 is not to be compressed. so ramming a MINNIE down in to it would compress it I believe.
    You can't get a Minie that tight in the rifle I have unless you put a wad on top of it. The bore appears to get looser as you go down I get worried that it won't seat tight enough to stay put actually. Judging from the accuracy I'm getting, something must be going right. They had a sale on Alliant MZ at Sportsman's Warehouse. Unreal at $10.00 (Yeah, ten) a pound. At that cheap of a price, I am wondering. Will find out next week when I get time to go sshooting
    Last edited by Newtire; 07-03-2015 at 06:55 AM.

I have used 777 and Pyrodex in my Zouave and Goex powder . Target loads I max out at pyro 70g on the minis 60g of 777 does just fine at 100 yrds . pyro and 777 clean up about the same . keep a rag with you wipe down the hammer area when shooting it gets black scortched if shooting alot Bill Kentucky

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    I'm looking for something that will be not-quite-as-nasty to clean. I have a Zouave and a Musketoon, and I hate cleaning both of them.

CDD
    I blew the nipple clean off my musketoon with pyrodex P.... so if it's a replica, just be careful... I was using 70 grains of P... I clean my guns with super hot water and it is no problems whatsoever... that is with Pyrodex or black... and is IMPERATIVE... in my opinion that it be done on the day of shooting.... or pour 99% alcohol through the barrel till clean with wipes then swab with a protective coating or even vegetable oil and clean before shooting again with hot water is what I do the night before. I also like to start my morning with a squib load to make sure everything is working.... My two guava's worth...