Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Dillion SDB General Maintenance/Lubing

Boolit Buddy

Dillion SDB General Maintenance/Lubing

So, the internet is full of great information for all sorts of things. However I have yet to find a detailed article with pictures or video of someone performing general maintenance and lubing of the Dillion SDB press. I've been having slight issues with mine with the press not indexing smoothly anymore. When the round goes from station 2 (powder drop) to station 3 (boolit seating) it will lose a bit of powder about every other or every third round. So I would like to take my press apart, clean and lube it so it acts like factory new. Yes, I know there is a PDF that gives directions, but for some of us, we learn better with pictures/video rather than just words. If anyone knows of a website with detailed pictures or a video please let me know.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't got any info on videos for you, but...

Look at the indexer pawl. It gets a groove worn in it where it contacts the shellplate and causes the advance to "jump" on occasion. Replacement smooths things right out.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Will do, thank you!

Boolit Master

+1 on the pawl
    also remove the shell plate and clean under there. It's a catch basin for all sorts of stuff.
    a bit of grease on each end of the arms helps plus this is a good way to understand your press.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Brian Enos forum has a category for Dillon reloading stuff that includes videos and info on care and maintenance for a Dillon SDB. I also call Dillon on a regular basis and have gotten some good help and once they said send it in and rebuilt it.
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    The SD's are super simple presses to disassemble & assemble. The last time it lubed mine I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Its ok but I'll never use it again. TW25 is the grease to use, kinds pricey but worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    Brian Enos forum has a category for Dillon reloading stuff that includes videos and info on care and maintenance for a Dillon SDB. I also call Dillon on a regular basis and have gotten some good help and once they said send it in and rebuilt it.
    PJ
    Never seen any videos as far as maintenance goes on the SBD on his sight. That's where I ordered my press from. Great guy to deal with!