RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman 310 For .45 ACP

Boolit Mold

Lyman 310 For .45 ACP

I'm having a tough time finding a set of 310 dies for .45 ACP. Haven't heard back from Lyman yet but judging from their shipping policy I might not have enough time on the planet for the news. Anyone know if these dies are still part of their inventory or where I might start the golden quest? OR! will a .45 LC set do the job if I can find a priming solution?

Boolit Grand Master
    Much as I hate to say (write?) it, ebay is probably your best bet.

I think the .45 Colt dies will be just a skosh too large in diameter to work well, if they work at all. That being said I see no reason the priming chamber for any 8mm Mauser/'06/.308 based cartridge wouldn't work for the .45 ACP.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
    I'm having a tough time finding a set of 310 dies for .45 ACP. Haven't heard back from Lyman yet but judging from their shipping policy I might not have enough time on the planet for the news. Anyone know if these dies are still part of their inventory or where I might start the golden quest? OR! will a .45 LC set do the job if I can find a priming solution?
    Why not try The 310 shop? http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

Boolit Grand Master
    I might (probably could) cobble together a set. No box, etc, but a set of dies. Is that all you need? Whadoyagotah trade? If I don't have it all, probably BrassMagnet and I could put it together between us. Drop me a PM.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You can try the 310 shop if Froggie doesn't have what you need. Evil Bay is also one of your alternatives. They do come up once in a while but usually go for a higher price due to just what you are experiencing - scarcity. There probably isn't enough interest in many of the calibers for Lyman to deem it feasible to start making them again. I've been looking for a 8mm Mauser expander die and stem for a while to complete my set and it's just "wait and see" when I run across one. Good luck with your quest! I love the 310 sets that I have.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey bedbugbilly, what expander diameter is that 8mm? I'm thinking about .323(?) It seems like I've seen them from time to time.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Froggie - should be .323. I'm loading cast - have several different light weight boolit molds and they drop at around .323 - .324 so am shooting unsized. I collected "bits and pieces" for my 8 X 57 310 set (haven't used the set yet) but when I got it out to take a look, I discovered that for some reason, the Expander Die was .311 - my guess is that it got mixed in between a bunch of 8mm dies and 30-06 dies as I bought a "group" that were supposed to be 8mm.

I found a set of 30-06 steel tongs, which of course will work for the 8mm Mauser as well. I have a set of 30-06 dies . . . or I should say a conglomeration of them as I'm sure some are 310 and some are Tru-Line. My problem is that I just haven't had time to sit down, lay out what I have and sort. Right now, I know I have 30-06, 30-30, 44 Spl./Russian, 45 Colt, 8mm Mauser (except the expander), 38 Colt Short/Long (which I load quite a bit of), 38 Spl., 357 Mag, 32 Win. Spl. (Tru-Line).

Currently, the only rifle I'm loading for is my 1905 Danzig GEW98 that a local World War I vet that I knew brought back in 1919. At some point, I'm looking at adding a 30-06 and a 30-30 as I'm having so much fun with the 8mm with "cat sneeze"loads.

I picked up an old Ideal 31950 mold a while back (a FN design) from a member here with the intent of maybe playing with paper patching just for fun. I'm pretty "low tech" - have cast with a Lyman pot and bottom pour ladle over a propane burner for 50 + years. When I cast from the 31950 mold with the "range lead" that I normally use - I was very much surprised to find that the were dropping at .323! I was a happy camper - couldn't be any better for the 8mm bore on my rifle and they are showing some good results with light loads at 50 yards. Right now, I'm neck sizing only on my single stage and the expander on my die measures out at .323 but the neck tension is enough that I can put a very light crimp on that boolit with my Lyman DA seating/crimp die body. My other boolits seem to drop a little bigger - .324 or so, so I'm thinking a .323 expander will work the best but could always use a .322 if I had to and slightly flare the neck opening if need be.

At some point, when I get time, I'll make a list of what duplicates I have and PM you and post it. If you run across a 8mm expander die, I'd sure appreciate a holler! Thanks!

Jim

310 dies in 45 ACP are common on Ebay and GunBroker, and cheaper than 45 Colt dies. Within a week or two, you should be able to get a set or put together a set from single dies.

Even if you could get by using a 45 Colt sizing die, the expander and seating dies would be too long for the short ACP case.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Froggie...If you have a 45 ACP full length (Tru-Line Jr.) die that is surplus to your needs, I have need of it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Char-Gar & Bedbugbilly, I've been gathering up whole sets to swap with BrassMagnet... the main thing I need right now is a set for my newly acquired 45 Colt and the PC for my 32-20 set, which I think he will be able to find for me. Meanwhile, I'll see what's left in the chowder box that might be of help to you two as well.

Froggie