RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: RCBS case activated linkage and pistol expanders

Boolit Master

RCBS case activated linkage and pistol expanders

Anyone here using these?
    If so, how are they working for you?

Reason I'm asking is because I have an old Ammomaster Auto Progressive I want to upgrade.
    One of my biggest pet peeves about the Ammomaster is the case detection system for the Uniflow powder measure.
    With that arm and push-rod assembly, you are locked into have the powder drop at station 3.
    There is no way to move that system to another station.

With it at station 3, you can't use a powder check die AND seat and crimp in separate stations.
    With a powder check die in station 4 all you have left is station 5. So you either seat/crimp in one step which I hate doing, or you just seat in station 5 and crimp later in a separate step.
    The only way to seat and crimp separately is to NOT use a powder check die.
    I have never been happy with these options.

After talking to RCBS via e-mail, I found out about the case activated linkage and pistol powder expanders.
    So now it seems I can set my Ammomaster up to prime and expand/drop powder at station 2, have a powder check or lockout die at station 3, seat at station 4, and crimp at station 5.

I just want to hear how they work before spending the bucks.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

I don't have the RCBS powder drop linkage, but I have read some reviews about it on other forums (maybe this one, I can't remember). Anyway, from what I read, those that have it liked it. Most of the comments were positive.

Just another possibility...I have used Dillon case activated powder measures on other name brand presses. Worked well.
    Jon

Boolit Master
    It appears to be just like the Hornady powder measure and case-activated linkage.
    My Hornady worked very well for everything--except I could not get it set for .380 Auto. Personally, I think that case finally hit the minimum length to work a case-activated linkage, but Hornady said they would walk me through it. Just haven't got back to that calibers yet.

Boolit Master
    Hornady and RCBS share some of their products, including some of the case activated linkages

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Only difference is the Hornady is "in the white" and the RCBS is blued steel. Plus the Hornady is significantly cheaper. IF you buy this, I suggest you go with the Hornady version and save yourself about 25 bucks.

Boolit Mold
    I just set up a Pro 2000 pistol expander for .45 ACP on my Piggyback 2. I'm using a Hornady shell activated linkage and Uniflow powder measure set up on that press. It took some trial and error but it works. After that success I set up the Ammomaster 2 progressive that has a Hornady powder measure and shell activated linkage for .40 S&W using the Pro 2000 expander. Again, some tinkering but it works. Tomorrow I'l tackle the 9 mm set up on a Piggyback 2 that mounts a uniflow and RCBS shell activated linkage. Should work just fine. On all presses the powder drop is now on station 2 which is also the priming station. Powder cop/powder checker is on station 3, bullet seating on station 4 and taper crimp die on station 5. The fact that the expander enters into the case neck "should" minimize powder spills. The Hornady shell activated linkage uses a powder drop that sits on top of the case.

Boolit Master

Good job getting that functional Smokey.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy

have the RCBS linkage kit setup on a PBII, with with a Uniflow PM, wouldn't be without it, works great...fwiw...