Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting hard to take this shortage.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    70.00/500 is no bargain, that's what the scalpers were asking last year.
    No where did I SAY it was any bargain! Horrible price. But so is the price Art found on line!

22's are totally off the wall. I see them at gun shows for as much as 0.18/round! They are still there!

I have enough from the goode olde daze of $18/555 brick from WalMart.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    No where did I SAY it was any bargain! Horrible price. But so is the price Art found on line!

22's are totally off the wall. I see them at gun shows for as much as 0.18/round! They are still there!

I have enough from the goode olde daze of $18/555 brick from WalMart.
    $12.95 in 2012 at Bimart for 525 RGB's. Still have a few bricks. The limit was 4 so I made a few trips over the last sale they had. Glad I did.

I miss Bimart - Wallymart ain't in the same league. What's Bimart's current pricing like?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    The lowest I've seen this year has been just under 5 cents per round to my door. Even then I felt like I was being ripped off lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I miss Bimart - Wallymart ain't in the same league. What's Bimart's current pricing like?
    When they get them about $18 a box to $25 a box depending on brand. Everyone out here knows the people behind the counter, and the day they come in so they don't last long. I don't think they make it on the shelf most times. Shoot, I walk by the the sporting goods section they spot me and say "no powder,no .22 today" as I walk by the counter. To bad they don't deliver on "lucky number Tuesday." I have to make two trips a week to check my number, and check for powder or .22's. Last week they had W296 on the shelf. I have not seen that out here since 2012.

Boolit Master
    Lets not confuse plinking ammo with match ammo at $70 a brick. The first time in a small-bore match where a 400 score with 40X's is a perfect score, and I shot my personal best a 400 with 37X's, I came in 3rd place.........yes 3rd place. The person who won it said welcome to the ammo chase.

A good small-bore match rifle like my Anschutz costs $3700.00 on sale today
    http://www.championshooters.com/inde...184&Itemid=111

and this is without sights, now add all the other equipment and the cost is well over $6000.00.
    Match entry fees are not cheap either and the last thing I would want to do is handicap/sabotage myself by shopping for the cheapest ammo to shoot.

I only shot a 398-28X's and came in 9th last week, you need a 400 with 30 something X's to win, and you need the best ammo you can find that your gun likes. My problem is the last time I was competing was in 2002 and I have had 10 surgeries since then, three on my spine and on my left shoulder and I shoot left handed being blind in my right eye. The last match I caused one shot to go out and the wind caught me and the shooter next to me at the same time.

The surgeries may have slowed me down but they have not stopped me.

If you see what it cost a High-Power shooter for his ammo even loading it himself the cost per round is at least .27 cents a bullet and .03 a primer, now add the cost of powder and the cost of the case divided by the number of firings that they can get out of each case. The barrel life of a High-power rifle is much shorter than a Small-Bore rifle. The High-Power shooter will be lucky to get 10,000 rounds out of their barrel, and a Small-Bore shooter can get well over 100,000 and even closer to 200,000 rounds of barrel life.

The Federal Gold Medal Match ammo I bought in 1998 cost $650 a case dealer cost, or $65 a brick then which worked out to .13 a shot then. The price of $700 a case works out to .14 cents a shot and with the shipping is rounded up to .15 cents a shot, and if your rifle shoots it very well I would buy as much as I could.

Yesterday I tested the Norma Match ammo and it shot very well, tomorrow I will test it again before making a decision of buying another 2 cases. I have to be sure of my hold and follow through to make a decision for using this for matches, absolutely no problem of using it for practice. Some of the other ammo I have shoots just under 15/16 inch out side to out side for 20 shots at 100 yards.

The shooting I do is laying down on the ground prone with a sling on a shooting mat, both scope and iron sights.

Doc Highwall
    I'm not confusing anything
    Norma USA Match-22 Ammo 22 LR 40 Gr Lead Round Nose
    500 round brick for only $87.99 - may be a good buy these days for match
    If your gun likes it - $70.00 for plinking isn't a good buy

I'm not happy when stores don't get in plinking at a decent price only offer you Match ammo at 3 times the price.

Or worse plinking ammo at the cost of match...
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    $70 a brick does not sound high for match ammo. I have paid upwards of $10 for 50 for a few brands just to test. I think I paid $12 for 50 disappointing Remington Eley rounds. It might be fine ammo but did not shoot as well as Wolf Match in my guns.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Artful, I am not saying you are confusing anything but I think others are missing the point between Match ammo and regular plinking ammo. The Norma USA Match ammo is what I bought for $70 a brick not the $87.99 from Midway.

Just a warning about buying 22 ammo from Midway, a friend of mine ordered a case from them and he received 100 boxes of 50 rounds each from at least 3 different lots. Midway separates the cases and the 500 round bricks into individual 50 round boxes so the lots are mixed up which is no good for match shooters. He did complain to Midway and they said that is the way they do it.

Boolit Bub

When I was a lad I vowed to never be short of .22s so I bought many and stacked 'em when I was young. In 1946 .22 shorts were ten cents the box of 50, but mowing yards only paid two bits, but it was silver. I shot a bolt action single shot, a Remington model 41 Targetmaster. It took me all summer to earn the $6.00 I paid for it. Over the years I laid in many thousands of rounds for very little money. I've still got a bunch. And then the commies took over our government.

Next, I bought lead and wheel weights by the ton and, of course, molds for the good stuff (.45 ACP, .44mag and a few .38s) not counting primers and powder for my rifles (all big bore that shoot heavy cast boolits). I don't own a weapon (other than my .22) unless it shoots heavy stuff well. That is, it'll kill anything that walks.

Good shooting, and lay in primers and powder. You all got the rest.

This is nothing new, you all have done the same, brass by the barrel, etc. Primers and powder for a pistol cost less than a .22. Back in the day I scrounged most of my lead, wheel weights and linotype.

Labor?

What's time to a hog?

Doc Burgess

I purchased a brick of Norma match from a "local" sporting goods store a few weeks ago and paid $78 for it. It was the only trustworthy 22lr ammo they had.
    Since I am using it for target league shooting in my pistol, I didn't feel too bad about it.
    So far(about 3 boxes into it) I am pleased with it. It shoots much better than I do in my gun. If I am on target and do my job the bullet hits the center. What more can you ask?

Generous Donator

a guy at the last show had boxes/bricks for $.10 a round. 222 rounds = 22.20 333 rounds = 33.30 and 500 rounds = 50.00. Asked him why should I pay that price when I could load my 222 for less than $.05 a round and have the same FPS and power. Dumb look time. But wait primers are $35 per K. Told him not the ones I have at $13 per K that I bought many years ago and stockpiled.

Boolit Buddy

I too am just shooting cast 38's instead of 22's. My kids seem to enjoy it just as much.

Boolit Master

It's around, but it takes some patience. I've picked up a few thousand over the last few months just here and there as it comes in stock or I stumble across. I'm talking bulk packs of anything I can get and not being picky, but I won't pay more than .07 per round. Some of it has been from product notification on Midway, occasional checking on Cabela's, or just dumb luck in gun stores, both big box and LGS alike.

As a ray of hope, the new LGS/indoor range near me had so much Federal AutoMatch that they were advertising it on Facebook. I didn't feel like a 45 minute drive, one way, to get some but figured I'd check the place out a week later. They still had a pile and I picked up 2 at $17/325.

I don't think there is a shortage in terms of production. Plenty of 22's being produced but all the 5 cent a round stuff is being scooped up by scalpers or people that have been having a hard time finding any for awhile. Human nature and economics.

Ability to buy for 5 cents and sell for at least 10 cents, maybe more makes scalping a good economic decision. Anyone that has been looking all over for 22's at a reasonable price that finds them in the store at non-scalper prices will purchase the limit in order to avoid the hassle they had finding this supply.

Last gun show at least 10' of table covered with 22's might even have been two 8' tables with probably no more than 5 boxes of any brand/quantity/package. Clearly the results of scrounging what ever they could wherever they could. Come to think of it a lot of items had three of each. A common store limit. Prices were right around double what they are at Walmart and sporting good stores.

Want to guess where the 80 cent a round green tip 223 was for sale? I would do whatever I could to avoid supporting these scalpers. They have a right to charge what they want, I have a right to boycott those sales. Rather buy what is available from those that treat me decent and do without.

22's were always how we kept the kids and grandkids from shooting us into the poor house in one day. They could plink away burning through the rimfire stuff and they would get some center fire stuff for dessert when the older family members were shooting it. The plus side of this is always kept a pretty good supply of 22's on hand. And the kids are all grown, lot of the grand kids too so it should last for awhile.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    well guys Get used to it. These are the new prices. . weather @ your LGS, big stores or Gun shows. These prices are here to stay. aslong as everybody Buys them Up the prices will stay high. supply and demand.
    Remember The gas shortage saying" Nobody's going to pay over $1 for a gallon of gas". you will pay, and pay, and pay.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    well guys Get used to it. These are the new prices. . weather @ your LGS, big stores or Gun shows. These prices are here to stay. aslong as everybody Buys them Up the prices will stay high. supply and demand.
    Remember The gas shortage saying" Nobody's going to pay over $1 for a gallon of gas". you will pay, and pay, and pay.
    +1 new price I forsee is at least 5 cents a round bottom of the barrel. There's only one direction. Remember buying AKs and SKS by the crates cuz they were so cheap and no one thought twice that they would go for over 150 a piece. In just glad primers have at least returned to normal pricing and still can catch a sale now and then. Powder is what reapply scares me. The cost per round isn't that much, but the 1# cans have shot up. 8# kegs have only increased a little bit but pistol powder still rare

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    well guys Get used to it. These are the new prices. . weather @ your LGS, big stores or Gun shows. These prices are here to stay. aslong as everybody Buys them Up the prices will stay high. supply and demand. Remember The gas shortage saying" Nobody's going to pay over $1 for a gallon of gas". you will pay, and pay, and pay.
    How true and it is a new way of life now.I got some 22lr before all of this started I use on the trap line and when I start to get to so many I will save them for the gun that shoot them and go with center fire in 32 S&W or 32ACP for the trap line in my 327 BH . I say stock up on what ever you need for reloading and ride it out after.But look for deals when they show it will not be like the price of ages ago but it is a new way of life now.For how I been seeing it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Yes, .22LR seems to be over priced but it does not seem right to compare 22 LR to reloads. I think that a more appropriate comparison would be to other non-reloadable factory ammo or just to factory bullets. What is the cheapest .223 bullet (component) and what does it cost, my guess you will have a hard time finding bullets under 5 cents a piece and primers are around 3 cents a piece so 8 cents seems almost reasonable and you still have to assemble them. Cheapest loaded ammo I could find that was not .22 LR was going for over 15 cents a round.

I wonder, is there any cheap Mil Surp ammo to be had anywhere, under 15 cents a round?

I know that this is a cast bullet site but right now I have more money than time so I can cast or I can shoot and I enjoy shooting way more.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides