MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's and bass pro shops

Cabela's and bass pro shops

We have a new Cabela's that has just opened today in Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Bass Pro shop's will also be opening a new store in a few months just one mile down the road from Cabela's in Tn.( Both stores will face I-75 on the Tn , Ga line) I guess the big answer I'm looking for is do these places carry much gun powder and how high are the prices. I have never been in a Cabela's store and was just wondering . ( The store is only a little over one mile from the house)

Boolit Buddy
    Go there
    Bring money
    I stock up when I go
    Cabela's was a 2 1/2 hour ride from me. A new store opened just 45 minutes away now

Boolit Master

In normal times they usually carry the more popular powders. Prices are nothing to brag about and they usually carry just 1 lb. cans. IIRC most powders are $28.99 now. I have not seen pistol powder in the local Cabela's for 2-3 years.

Boolit Master

A new Bass Pro shop just opened in Memphis TN about 2 hours away.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

We have a Bass Pro about 25 miles from the house and they are high but do have some things. A new Cabellas is being built about 5 miles from the house and don't know what they offer. I hear the bargan basement has good stuff from time to time.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Bub
    Bass pro is high. Cabelas is better in my opinion...however you will probably end up buying from which ever has it in stock.

Boolit Master
    There is one of each about an hour away from my town. I haven't been there yet, but I am retired now and I can make the time to get there.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    A new Bass Pro shop just opened in Memphis TN about 2 hours away.
    If you are coming to Memphis for powder try averys. They have more selection and Better prices than the big chains. My second choice in Memphis would be sportsmans warehouse.

The Cabellas in my town carries a lot of reloading presses, dies and even a small number of molds. They usually have primers and some powder. Not a huge selection of powder, typically rifle only. BUT they do seem to get it in on a regular basis.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    In this area, we have both about 60 miles apart near Seattle. Our Cabelas is much better than BassPro for the reloader. That store has had pistol powder several times but it only stays on the shelf a couple hours.

Boolit Master

On one hand I'm jealous - but on the other hand I'm glad that there are neither close to me. We have a Bass Pro 2-3 hours away, and no Cabelas at all in California. If I had either close to my house I would be in constant trouble with the wife...
    The Cabelas I visit once a year in Utah when I go up to ski is much better than any Bass Pro that I have been in for reloading supplies.

Mine only ever has black powder but I havent been in several months. Some stuff prices are regular and some stuff is pretty pricey. They are good for gear but im not too sure about reloadin supplies. At least mine isnt.

Boolit Grand Master

Cabela's normal prices are on the high side but if you watch the sales and promos they can be hard to beat.

Boolit Grand Master

I like Cabelas, the reloading items carried depend of the market-or what they perceive the market to be. Bad news, if you have a mom & pop store nearby their days are likely numbered. My favorite gunshop closed up before Cabelas and Bass Pro opened up down the road a bit.
    I don't get to Bass Pro often but I understand they generally carry less reloading stuff than Cabelas but that varies.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Hi..

We have a Bass pro shop about 25-30 miles from the estate in Harrisburg,Pa. Kinda pricey...
    Nearest Cabela's is in Hamburg,Pa about an hour and a half from here. Better selection of reloading equipment and supplies than Bass Pro shop. Prices are still kind of high, but sales on clothes and boots at both make the trip worthwhile.

Local shops have better prices on firearms and reloading supplies most of the time, but if you are there at the right time, the selection can be better at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop.

Boolit Master

I usually have good lock at Cabelas, and I have found pistol powder. I just grabbed some S&B primers for 22.99 to try out last time I was there. I also usually find 22 at a fair price. They have it behind the counter sometimes and you have to ask for it, and there is a limit, but its there.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got H110 at the Cabela's here in PA (I live 3 miles from it, lol). They have had more powder lately...the last couple years, things were lean.

Prices are ok to high, never really great pricing, but if they have what you want, it is usually cheaper than ordering it and paying hazmat. They will sometimes have 5- and 8-lb jugs, but the prices aren't worth buying in volume, and usually the bulk powder CAN be bought online cheaper, even with hazmat fees.

The Cabela's we have in PA was built in 2003. It was AWESOME when it was built...they had great gear, good prices, and sales that meant something. They also had people working there who knew their stuff.

Now it's a Walmart with outdoor decor.

Most of the clothing is their own brand, which is cheaply made and high priced. They fight to avoid honoring any sort of warranty, even on their own gear. The sales and Bargain Cave are pitiful anymore, and the buys I find are few and far between. Used to be that I could find all sorts of goodies in the Bargain Cave and sales meant you could get something at a really great price. Now, a sale usually brings their price somewhere just above where other places sell the same item every day.

They are not after the local customer. Period. They want the tourist, the passer-by, the person who will come in when far from home (hence the locations always being near an interstate) and say "this is awesome! I'll never get back here, so I better get everything I want now!" and buy like crazy. That's the customer they are after, and they snag them very effectively from what I've seen in the store here. Sell a Glock normally for $125 higher than everyone else, offer it at "$75 off," and people fall over themselves to get it.

In the last year I have bought from both. Cabella's had the early lead, but later on Bass Pro got in Red Dot.

Having either close enough to save a 28$ haz mat fee is a bonus in my book.
    It is 70 miles to the nearest Cabella's and Bass Pro, hundreds of miles for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Was in the Bass Pro in Harrisburg once. I won't ever step foot in it again. It was well before the shortage. Powders were over $30 a pound back then. Primers were close to $40 a thousand.

Cabela's is about thirty minutes from my house and I get there quite often. Their prices and selection both suck. I can't say they charge any more than other stores in the area. Because they all charge ridiculous prices. They haven't killed any local stores because their pricing on firearms sucks. I've paid a fair price but there are no deals on them. If you want to buy new their selection can't be beat. But their used selection is usually pitiful and over priced.

I know this was about reloading supplies. It's gotten better over the last few months. Powder is back on the shelves instead of being on a small display in the middle of the aisles. If you really need it then buy it. Otherwise I'd wait it out.

Boolit Master
    We have both in town. The local Cabela's has reloading supplies, bullets, powder, etc. Of course, it has been pretty sparse the last couple of years. The local Bass Pro Shop does not carry any reloading supplies. They have a few guns, but they don't really cater very much to shooters.