Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: copper heads are out!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    One time a member told me they didn't have rattlesnakes in his state. It only took me a couple minutes on Google to show him not only did they have ratttlesnakes, they had 17 species!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    They do make nice hatbands.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Banned

"One time a member told me they didn't have rattlesnakes in his state."

Only if you live in Hawaii or Alaska. The rattlesnake is everywhere.

A neighbor killed a big timber rattler in his back yard year before last,and got a write up in the local paper. The next day the game warden gave him a ticket because its illegal to kill any snake here in Missouri.Everyone does just don't tell.
    OldArkie

Banned

Shoot, shovel, and shut up

The "3S's", or "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up", is a term commonly heard among many rural ranchers. It is becoming even more common among those situated near habitats of predatory animals such as wolves, mountain lions, and bears. It's a motto that generally captures the rural attitude of self reliance and independence. The policy of "shoot, shovel, and shut up" is very often attributed to the Endangered Species Act(ESA) of 1973.

http://legalruralism.blogspot.com/20...d-shut-up.html

And the laws of Missouri.

Yea, a fellow here in SE Ohio did some serious jail time after accidentally killing a timber rattler while logging, then showing it off. They are endangered here in Ohio, hope they stay at that population level!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Banned

North American would be a far better place if there were no venomous snakes. Let all the other snakes proliferate and take up the slack.

Boolit Grand Master

I won't ask a rapist what his intentions are, as he breaks into my house, and I don't check the pedigree of snakes. The same dose of serious lead poison fixes both.
    All dead snakes are good ones, and if I get a chance, I'll help them acquire that statis.
    Now don't start telling me how some of them are beneficial. I really couldn't care less. If they can't stay away from me, I'll clear the path.

Boolit Master

100% agree!

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I won't ask a rapist what his intentions are, as he breaks into my house, and I don't check the pedigree of snakes. The same dose of serious lead poison fixes both.
    All dead snakes are good ones, and if I get a chance, I'll help them acquire that statis.
    Now don't start telling me how some of them are beneficial. I really couldn't care less. If they can't stay away from me, I'll clear the path.

we got our share in the hot and dry regions around San Diego...and they are out and about now...when they shed they don't rattle and can't see well..not a good thing. Not a fan of rattle snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    we got our share in the hot and dry regions around San Diego...and they are out and about now...when they shed they don't rattle and can't see well..not a good thing. Not a fan of rattle snakes.
    When I was a kid in So Cal, I used to hike in the Coast Foothills a lot. Frequently I heard a noise that I attributed to grasshoppers, or some other bug. When I was grown, with kids of my own, I had them to a campfire show given by a park ranger. He brought out a glass cage with a rattler in it, and did something to make it rattle. Suddenly I realized that I had been hiking through meadows filled with rattlesnakes much of my life, and never knew it!

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    The local newspaper around here had a photo on the front page a couple of weeks ago of a rattlesnake coiled up on a tree limb along one of the bike paths, where the railroads used to be. I think the photo was taken by one of the spandex urban yuppy joggers/bikers using the bike path. I'll bet they're still having nightmares.

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

I grew up in northern wisconsin, where there are really not much for snakes to speak of. I have recollection of seeing one snake that was longer than about 10". I walk bare foot where ever I want to up there, crawl under any building at any time, reach into rock piles, and don't hardly give it two thoughts. Then I went pig hunting in Mo, and saw a big **** "something" swimming across a pond on the way out after the hunt. It was either a copper head or water moccasin. If I would have seen that thing when I was sitting, there probably would have been some -06 holes in the ground around it, that's for sure.

I don't know how you guys in snake country do it. I'll take -40*F any day over the venomous reptiles.

Boolit Buddy
    Rattlers are strange...I live right on the north side of the Yakima river. My south property line is the river in fact. On the south side of the river (Horse heaven Hills) there are a fair number of rattlers (2' is about normal length). About 5 or so miles north of me is the Rattlesnake Mtns, aptly named as there are quite a few rattlers up there. Strangely enough, in 36 years I have not seen a single rattler on my property, nor have I heard of any around here on this side of the river. Only cifference I can tell is this side of the river is mostly irrigated and neither the Horse Heavens or Rattlesnakes are irrigated. Strange...lots of mice & whatnot for them to eat, and I know they are found around water in other locals, but not here. Not ******** understand, just observing...Pilgrim

Shot 6 earlier this week when cleaning up our range... That was all one day.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Banned
    I've been on Copperhead watch for several weeks here in VA. That's just around the house. Usual kill is 6 or 7 within 20yds of the house.

When I let the dogs out at night, I take my hi lumen light & search closely before I let them out & still go out with them with my 44 w/snake shot, & daylight, I'm looking at the ground like I was lookin for punji's or B-traps.

Have killed 5 or 6 either on the front porch area or within 10yds.

I used to hunt rattlers for S&Gs when I was a kid, but after the 2 steppers in Nam, if I can't tell instantly they are good ones like black snakes, they are DEAD! & to bad, so sad, if I get a non poisonous one by mistake.

I've got 35ac of trees & 2000' of riverfront, & you better be lookin out or your az can be grazz.

I hate the #^& dam things! Kill them all, kill them now!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Uh, dude you got Timber Rattlers - I know I lived there.
    Maybe in the cascades, but no poisonous snakes here on the coast range. I was surprised that there were any rattlers near me, but apparently they can inhabit the lower Willamette valley. They like the oak habitat. From what I found there were some rattlers here in my county, but were extirpated long ago.
    Last edited by xacex; 05-13-2015 at 01:48 AM.

Guess I should be happy that I only have to worry about black flies and mosquitos in Maine. Have yet to see one or hear of anyone reporting Timber Rattlers in my area as long as I've been here--and okay if it stays that way.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

We have all 4 poisonous types in Bama. Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Coral and Rattlesnakes, both Timber and Eastern Diamondback. I've seen rattlers swimming and they do not try to escape. They just stop and give you that look: "If you feel froggy, just go ahead and jump."

I put the rattlers in my guitars and some folks put them in their fiddles. I'm not sure why we do that, I guess because Bill did.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanx Hornady308 and pls1911 for doing the right thing and understanding how beneficial snakes actually are. I'll shoot a threatening viper as fast as anyone but certainly not "just because its a snake". I for one am thrilled that most reptiles are now protected in some fashion.