RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pewter instead of tin for lyman #2?

Boolit Buddy

Pewter instead of tin for lyman #2?

Was looking at recipes to make some Lyman # 2 using what I have on hand. I have pure, COWW, and Linotype. I also have several pounds of pewter. I found this recipe that will supposedly give me #2. It calls for 9lbs COWW, 2lbs Linotype, and 7oz virgin bar tin. My question is can I substitute 7 oz pewter for the tin?

Boolit Grand Master
    Pewter will not be 100% tin so your alloy will not be exact but probably close enough
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I have been led to believe that modern dietary pewter is 90%+ tin, with the balance being mostly antimony with a touch of copper. As White Eagle said, probably close enough. 7 oz virgin tin? use 8 oz of pewter and back the linotype off an ounce. Or not.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned

I'd just as soon have the tin on the low side myself.
    try ww's 3 to 1 with the lino and add in another 2% tin.
    that will get you close enough to the lyman #2

Boolit Master
    You could use the alloy calculator to answer this. A lot of work went into it, it has it's own forum even. Pewter has a large thread going also.

Boolit Grand Master

Since you are really only assuming that you know the exact content of your scrap WW and Lino, using pewter for the tin falls right in line.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Since you are really only assuming that you know the exact content of your scrap WW and Lino, using pewter for the tin falls right in line.
    Good point, So maybe I should get my COWW and lino more thoroughly examined to make sure of exact composition. If I remember correctly, somebody on here offered those services. Anybody remember who that was?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Don't get lost in the weeds on trying to make "lyman #2"!

That is an old alloy referenced in the old books anyway and many today do not even use it, what with all the coatings available such as Hi-Tec and powder coating.

Close enough is close enough.

A % either way is not going to make that much difference.

Save your time and money and shoot more softer lead!

Banned

ain't seen it offered for a while.
    just make your alloy from your components and shoot it.
    if you want EXACTLY #2 alloy then suck it up and break out the debit card and call the refinery.

With heart medicine the composition has to be exact and pure, with boolits not so much. Unless you are at the point where exact and precise repeatability of composition is required to improve suitability of alloy or accuracy of shooting don't sweat it. Not trying to push 2500 fps, shoot big game, or shoot at 600 yards? Then a 1/2 or even whole percent difference of any of the alloy components probably won't make much difference.

+1 for the alloy calculator. You put in pewter, WW's and Lino in and it tells you what you have as a result. Then as suggested you can add an oz. of this, subtract an oz of that until the resulting BHN and alloy is what you want.

Good is good to quote Charlie Waite (Kevin Costner in Open Range)
    Perfect on the other hand is expensive.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Just for grins I ran that recipe through the Alloy Calculator. it yields Sn/Sb/Pb of 4.92/4.46/90.4 with .2 Arsenic. Shift that tin to pewter and it becomes 4.63/4.69/90.4 same Arsenic plus .07 Cu so pretty darn close. Up the pewter by 1 oz. to 8 oz and it yields 5.11/4.7/89.9

Me I would stay with the same 7 oz. amount of pewter since it holds the Sn/Sb in balance closer to equal which is what Lyman #2 does at 5/5/90

BUT the total difference
    is only about .5 percentage difference across the least to most. With each different one less than .3 percentage difference from the next closest. And none being more than .5 off of #2 alloy. With the tin recipe having a BHN of 14.1 and the pewter replacement having a BHN of 14.4 as compared to #2 with BHN of 15.

I love the Alloy Calculator.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Master
    Well, since you don't really know the composition of your other metals, aside from those you've had examined, does it make that much of a difference?

Edit: point made previously. Mea culpa.
    Last edited by scottfire1957; 05-04-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Just for grins I ran that recipe through the Alloy Calculator. it yields Sn/Sb/Pb of 4.92/4.46/90.4 with .2 Arsenic. Shift that tin to pewter and it becomes 4.63/4.69/90.4 same Arsenic plus .07 Cu so pretty darn close. Up the pewter by 1 oz. to 8 oz and it yields 5.11/4.7/89.9

Me I would stay with the same 7 oz. amount of pewter since it holds the Sn/Sb in balance closer to equal which is what Lyman #2 does at 5/5/90

BUT the total difference
    is only about .5 percentage difference across the least to most. With each different one less than .3 percentage difference from the next closest. And none being more than .5 off of #2 alloy. With the tin recipe having a BHN of 14.1 and the pewter replacement having a BHN of 14.4 as compared to #2 with BHN of 15.

I love the Alloy Calculator.

Yup me too and got the same results with the Alloy Calculator. Just amazing.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    Yup me too and got the same results with the Alloy Calculator. Just amazing.
    I may not be the smartest guy in the room but I can certainly spot "damn that works great" when experienced people keep saying "works great you should try it".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I may not be the smartest guy in the room but I can certainly spot "damn that works great" when experienced people keep saying "works great you should try it".
    Amazing isn't it, lol.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Buddy
    Well wasn't able to open it...had problems with my excel. Just figured out yesterday and you know what...it is kinda cool!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    Well wasn't able to open it...had problems with my excel. Just figured out yesterday and you know what...it is kinda cool!!!!!
    Glad to hear you were able to get it to work. Thing is great. There are even a couple of lines at the bottom where you can enter in percentages for your own materials. Like to use one of those lines when I get something a little "odd" like dental foil so I can figure out what standard stuff I can mix in to get the alloy I need out of it.

Also don't forget you can save the open one under a new name File -> Save As. I use one of those copies as an inventory. Makes it easy to see at a glance what I have as a total, and conversely what I don't have. If the whole stash comes out at the bottom as a little light on one alloy or another it lets me concentrate on getting more of that.

I saved off a copy a couple of times to record some mixes of odd ball scrap. Found a way to use some odd ball stuff I scrounged, don't want to forget what I mixed for what. Hint: the grains of the boolit in the bottom section tell me what I used the recipe above for.

Boolit Master

First off, your recipe doesn't really work. You'll be light on the Tin and Antimony. Most of these recipes were way off, so I always make my own recipe. (That is the FUN part!)

I'd try this (use a good digital scale):

9 lbs. COWW
    2.5 lbs. Linotype
    0.513 lbs. Pewter

You'll get 12 pounds of alloy that is about 5% Tin, 5% Antimony and 89.79% Lead. (The other .21% will possibly be an even mix of Copper from the Pewter and Arsenic from the COWW, if they are in there.)

Or try this to be more exact:

9 lbs. Pure Lead
    6.35 lbs. Linotype
    0.59 lbs. Pewter

You'll get 16 pounds of alloy that is about 5.02% Tin, 5% Antimony and 89.92% Lead. (Maybe .06% Copper from the Pewter, but not enough to matter.)

Either recipe will be so close that you'll never know the difference.

All of my Lyman #2 has XRF tested VERY close to 5, 5, 90 and I use a lot of it.

Take Care,

DC-1
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

Anyone have a hardness for a water drop of the hardness of the COWW recipe from DC-1 for Lyman #2 water dropped? Would expect a BHN of around 15 for that recipe air cooled.

Or hardness for a recipe for something like hardball from WW's & Linotype that is water dropped?
    Something along the lines of:

8.5 lbs. COWW
    4.5 lbs. Linotype
    .0625 Pewter (one ounce)

Should yield 2/6/92 Hardball or so close as to not matter. Would expect a BHN of 14.8 as is

Thinking of casting .44 mag plain base and thought I might want to try water dropped to kick that BHN up. Not thinking that would go to max loads but thought it might be interesting to try WD since might be nice to go over 1100 fps.

But was thinking that might be a waste of alloy for WD. Might be better to use COWW's with 2% tin if I'm going to WD

Thing about scrap linotype is that the actual alloy content is somewhat variable depending on where it is in depletion-replenish cycle.

Boolit Master

. . . but isn't the conventional wisdom that more than 2% tin is a waste of good metal? I can see that tin would probably help hold a boolit together in a hunting situation, though.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris