WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over The Counter .45 Colt Ammo for Woods (animals/people) Protection?

Boolit Buddy
    US Army criteria for 45 Colt was for the round to be capable of penetrating a horse @100 yards and still have enough power to kill an lndian hiding behind him on the other side. Colt achieved this feat with a 255gr conical lead bullet and 40gr of powder..850fps

Boolit Grand Master

In the real world, bullet shape is a determining factor in how effective a load can be. I am a bullet caster and a reloader, so a Lyman 454424 (250 gr Keith) or the RCBS .45-270-SAA ahead of a decent load of Unique (or equivalent) with make that Pietta .45 Colt a dandy field pistol.

I would suggest that the O.P. invite his friend over and show him how to reload real ammo - that is field ready. As a matter of interest, a case full of 3f Swiss black powder will give over 900 fps to a 250 gr. cast bullet. Using my Ruger Bisley Vaquero with 5½" barrel, my particular handgun would allow me to shoot 70 rounds before fouling caused drag on the cylinder, requiring a quick five minute cleaning with a good black powder solvent. While the black powder load is powerful, and would not be ANY problem in the Pietta regarding pressures, you can get the same ballistics safely with a proper charge of Unique (8.5-9.0 grs. behind a 250 gr cast bullet) and I would feel confident with that load in the field.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

I know everyone thinks you need more but 850 fps with any 250 gr will kill just about anything in the USA if you do your part. I wouldn't go after Griz but I also would not use any handgun on them unless there was no other choice. I've shot deer with hot loads in my BH but also deer fell to a 255 at 850 fps just about as fast.

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't bought a over the counter box of ammo in 35 years
    however if I had to My bet would be on a XTP of some sort
    for store bought they would work for both of your wants
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I shoot a Pietta Milenium 45 Colt and have great luck with it but it's not for big time hot loads...I took it apart and compared it with the general dimensions of an original Vaquero and there is a huge difference...I love to shoot the Pietta with 200 grain rnfp (12bhn) and Unique or Trail Boss...it does what it's intended to do...if I were going to take a 45 hunting I'd take my Blackhawk or my original Vaquero and load em up...I've shot the Winchester (think it's 250 grain..maybe 255 grain) off the shelf ammo...pretty accurate...more oomph than my SAA handloads but nothing like Buffalo Bore or the real hot factory stuff that's around.

Boolit Master
    I spent many years living in Northern Utah. There isn't anything there that a standard pressure 45 Colt wouldn't dispatch. Would I want something with a little more oomph? Yep sure would and do carry my 300gr Ruger only loads. Since your friends gun can not handle the Ruger only loads there is no reason to discuss them.

While not at your normal big box stores Buffalo Bore has standard pressure heavy 45 Colt loads that are safe to fire in Colt SAA clone or 45 Colt chambered gun. I have shot this ammo when trying to test different ammo for my 45 Colts to carry with me when traveling out of town and exploring the woods. The Buffalo Bore is pretty good stuff for factory ammo.

Boolit Master
    No need for atomic loads in the .45colt south of 49deg latitude.
    My best friend and I haven't recovered a .45 slug from the deer and pigs we've shot.

We use the Lee 255gr RFN over 8.2gr of Universal. Gets ~900fps from revolver and 1,150 from 24"rifle. We only use the 8.2 load as it's the minimum that will maintain case obturation with the long rifle barrel to keep gases from blowing back into the actions. Load is also very accurate giving 2"groups from my Win.M94 at 100yds.
    My Colorado/Wyoming load for my S&W 625 (550ft/lbs) is 10.2gr LongShot under RCBS 270grSWC. This load would be tolerated by the Pietta, though I'd only shoot enough to verify sight regulation. Otherwise, I just load them with 9gr of LongShot or 8.2 of Unique or recently, 7.2 of GreenDot (was given 6lbs!)
    Some Magtech factory ammo I bought about 12 yrs ago was decent. It's the only loaded .45colt I've ever bought or fired. Only got it for the brass.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I bought some PMC 255 RNFP when I had my 1st 45 Colts and they were advertised at 850 fps I think I got about 875 in the 7.5 RBH. In a pinch I bought another very similar box that was by Remington Primax(sp) those were closer to 950 and shot poorly . I have a half a box of 250 gr HP Blazer by CCI hanging out still and a half box of the Rem . If your in western Utah anywhere near I80 maybe you should bring yourself and your buddy to the Nv Cast boolits shoot the week end of 6/5 . Theres no better way to make the case than to shoot everything from a 2520 to a 445 mag with cast to make your case for reloading and cast .

Myself I shot a bunch of 452-255s and 452-252s before I aquired the 454424 and they all work fine . I believe that the Lyman book shows 9.0 Unique as max Colts load from the RBH 7.5 those turned in over 950 fps with all 3 of the above boolits . 8.0-8.5 are much more comfortable to shoot a long set with and still give 800+ fps for me . If memory serves me right the Colts 255 actually delivers more energy than the nominal 158 in a 357, but I would have to have a book in hand to give that as a certainty and I don't have a book in hand at the moment so if it's wrong I'm admiting now.
    The last box of Colts I saw on the shelf was 38.99 for LRFP and 45?? for jackets. Gave me all the reason I needed to keep knocking them out myself.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Yep any lead 200-250 gr Cowboy load will do for two legged varmints. Might want a little more punch for four legged toothy stuff. A 255 gr Lee cast going 950ish would do. But that's pushing that clone pretty hard.

Boolit Grand Master
    9.0 grains of Unique behind a 250-260 grain cast bullet is safe for any SAA or clone built with reasonable quality. I had a Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt with 4-3/4" barrel, and it sent both #454190 and #454424 to 850-875 fps, placing them right where the sights looked at 25 yards. Such loadings will make venison capably or disincentivize goblins comprehensively. Though my current 45 Colt is a Ruger Bishawk, 90% of its ammo is still this smokeless duplicator of its original black powder loading. In the 7.5" barrel, the boolits run close to 1000 fps, averaging about 975 or so. The full-bore 44 Magnum has a lot more bark and buck than the 45 Colt, but I'm not certain all of its sound and fury makes it any more effective in the real world. A semi-wadcutter of standard weight driven between 950-1100 FPS does a fine job of harvesting game AND of stopping malefactors.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    An answer for the op, do not buy Blazer ammo. It ain't worth doodly. I have a recovered 255 jhp that didn't expand at all. ( I am not going to tell you right now why I know).
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Grand Master
    Ah, my goodness......the 45 Colt. What a capable caliber. Early in my LEO career I cast envious glances at Anaheim PD and their approval of the S&W Model 25-5 revolvers for duty usage. THAT is an agency serious about keeping their officers safe, I thought at the time.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.