Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Share something that you remember.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Friction tape and baling wire. Both were an unlimited supply when I was a kid, and you could fix almost anything with those two items.

It's been a while since I have seen either one. I did snag a roll of friction tape a few years ago at an old timer's garage sale...wife thought I was nuts getting so excited about an old roll of tape.

Moderator Emeritus

Grandpa farmed with an old Minneapolis Moline with a crank start well into the 70's when he retired and rented the land out. That thing got me more than once! He still used a horse drawn wagon for a lot of things, making hay, the small corn wagon(harvested on the cob), anytime we needed to pull something alongside the tractor. Horse knew exactly where to be in relation to the tractor for corn picking. She was also a mean old nag to get a harness on or to saddle for riding! Like to step on your feet and bite! I finally had enough and wrapped leather around my knee then some barbed wire. Kneed her 3 times, she would jump over to the other side of the stall and look back at me with a what the heck was that expression. After that she never went after me and grandpa never did figure out how I cured her. She still stepped on everyone else!

Boolit Grand Master

I can remeber Dads first "tractor" an old oliver row crop on tracks pulled great on everything but a cultivator LOL. He farmed with that old oliver right up to when a track started to walk off due to wear. The back field was rough and had had a dump on one side. The tracks were better than the rubber tires until we got that field completely cleaned up again. Also was no bridges across the little creek and it crossed that alot better. Also remeber the first riding lawn mower an old 7 hp Cub Cadet took 3 of us to move the mower deck around as it was heavy cast iron.Bought new in 1962 we mowed with it to 1987. Alot of projects with Dad making and repairing farm equipment. I learned to weld do lay outs and alot of planning making trailers and other equipment.

Riding in the back of Dad's pickup truck and taking turns getting the good seats - the fender wells.

Boolit Master
    We lived 8 miles fromtown. Until I was 12 or so, every winter the country road we lived on was nevermaintained. We went to town once a week (every Saturday). My dad had a sleighbox (think 4x12 utility trailer on runners) with a wooden back and front 6 feethigh. The sides were covered with canvas and inside there was an “air-tight”wood burning stove with a stove pipe through the roof. There were benches oneach side and a window in front and right under the window were two holes,through which passed the leather lines for driving the team of horses and therewas a door in back. Dad also had a set of sleigh-bells on the horses’ harness.I can still recall the sound of those bells! When we went to town, we leftearly in the morning and were gone all day. At lunch time Mother cooked on thatair-tight and I can almost taste the fat beef sausage (served on home-madebread like a hot dog). We usually picked up three or four neighbors and Dad’steam would stop at each place we stopped on the way in, on the way home. Onceout of town Dad tied the lines inside the Van and let the team go on their own.We did not always pick up the same people but that team never stopped at thewrong house coming back. We had an old kerosene lantern in that Van and theadults used to play cards while the team was going along.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    We lived 8 miles fromtown. Until I was 12 or so, every winter the country road we lived on was nevermaintained. We went to town once a week (every Saturday). My dad had a sleighbox (think 4x12 utility trailer on runners) with a wooden back and front 6 feethigh. The sides were covered with canvas and inside there was an “air-tight”wood burning stove with a stove pipe through the roof. There were benches oneach side and a window in front and right under the window were two holes,through which passed the leather lines for driving the team of horses and therewas a door in back. Dad also had a set of sleigh-bells on the horses’ harness.I can still recall the sound of those bells! When we went to town, we leftearly in the morning and were gone all day. At lunch time Mother cooked on thatair-tight and I can almost taste the fat beef sausage (served on home-madebread like a hot dog). We usually picked up three or four neighbors and Dad’steam would stop at each place we stopped on the way in, on the way home. Onceout of town Dad tied the lines inside the Van and let the team go on their own.We did not always pick up the same people but that team never stopped at thewrong house coming back. We had an old kerosene lantern in that Van and theadults used to play cards while the team was going along.
    Read that to my wife, what a memory to have, thanks for sharing.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I was probably only about 8 or 9 and my dad would give each member of the family a coupon to buy a box of .22 LR for .50 cents. All five of us would buy a box of shells. My older brother and I were both under 10 years old. The coupon said only 1 per customer. That is how my dad bought 5 boxes at a time. Times are similar now days except you can only buy two boxes at a time, and your $10 per box. If you can find anything at all.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Moved to Florida in '57. We were allowed to go bare footed to school. What a treat. Being able to take or 22's to school put them in the corner and go plinking in the afternoon. Playing marbles with steelies(steel ball bearings) as shooters. Catching fireflies and putting them in a glass jar to use as a lantern. Standing on the roof of Publix taking pictures of the Challenger and seeing the unthinkable happen. Buying gas for 29 cents a gallon. Hunting Morell mushrooms in Indiana and making a big meal out of them. Mowing yards with a push mower for $3.00 and trimming with scissors, that was torturous. Ha just some of my memories.
    Bill

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    I remember changing the 49 star flag to a 50 star flag in my Cub Scout pack (I still have that 49 star flag), attending the ticker tape parade in Chicago for John Glen, watching the Kennedy funeral on TV, being at a drive in theater with a date, and they interrupted the movie, to play the audio of Neil Armstrong stepping on the moon. I remember my Jr ROTC, shooting rifles in the basement of my High School.

In Remembrance
    I remember a huge percentage of the things listed. Even as a little boy I loved to listen to the old timers talking, telling stories about what ever and their memories, and I don't even remember ever hearing about that there HONEST politician someone remembers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I remember party line phones, black and white TV with the cabinet twice as large as the picture, tube testing machines in grocery stores, and honest politicians.
    You must be about my age!

Boolit Grand Master

Delete post
    Last edited by jonp; 04-29-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Gilette Blue Blade commercials, Fractured Fairy Tales (the best) and the SevenEleven selling shotgun and 22 rimfire ammo. Heck, that was the only place I ever bought 22 ammo..
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

I remember when I used to find piles of lead wheel weights at the end of freeway exit ramps.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Bub
    I miss halter tops.

Boolit Master
    Don't we all?

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02199.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	138271

Good eyes, good reflexes, time on my side, money enough.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Another hobby...restoring old farm engines...most of the ones I have date back to the very early 1900's but got a couple of engines that were from the '40's and were used on occasion into the '50's on a farm we owned where electricity was late getting there and also the cost of running a line to pump water from a stock well was too expensive so we kept using a gasoline engine that had been around for a very long time...these are all "dressed up " for shows now but they all came from a place of very hard work. The John Deere is 1 1/2 hp..weighs in at 230# (Hows that for a weed whacker engine?) and the "chug" is when I was 12 or so (checkered coat) made with a Maytag washing machine engine (My Grandmother used a gasoline washing machine on the farm into the 40's as REA was slow in the tiny town where she lived)...the final picture is just there to show that any hobby can get out of hand..just like guns.

Name:	1d76_12.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	138272

Name:	mailedD9_edited.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	138273

Name:	IMG_1773.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	138275

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A picnic lunch, circa 1967.
    Attachment 138274
    Working vacation on Giglio in Tuscany a few years back.Attachment 138276
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I remember this old swing in the back yard. The yard was fenced, with an iron gate. Dad would let the sheep in to keep it ate down. I would some time like to go back and walk around this old farm, although it is now a private hunting reserve.

Name:	family 038.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	138277
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!