Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Use A Semi-Auto Handgun For Hunting?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    It's a 41mag wanna be. Anything the 10mm can do the 41mag will do better.
    True but it will work. Maybe not as good as a .41 or .44. It has enough power and penetration. But if you know me I love the .44, .475 more and the .500 JRH best since I fixed the boolit.
    I would use the 10 way over a .357 in any case.

Boolit Buddy

I own two Glock 10 MM's, a G29SF and a G20SF with 6 inch Lone wolf barrel for hunting. Shot a 5 point couple years ago with the G20 and it worked fine with Win Silvertips.

I do not hunt with a self loading pistol, however my next build may be a .460 Rowland which should be capable of taking most game in the continental U.S.

Banned

I hunt with SA revolvers and have used DA like the SRH and only once in my life took two shots. SRH but still cocked it for the second. Shot at a buck and he ran past so fast I could not get a lead on him for the second, ran my arm into the tree. I hit the ham and cut the femoral artery but the first shot was through the heart. He folded. Even with a semi, I would cock the gun for the first and a second would rarely be needed. I would depend on the caliber first. One shot.
    The worst hunters here are those with semis. Or those the work a bolt as fast. If I was in battle with an M16, the day I dumped a mag of shells would never happen. I would depend on every shot like with an M1. Never spray and pray.
    I get a kick over those Muslim creeps holding a gun overhead, over a berm, running full auto. Stick your head over the berm and I will take you out.

Boolit Master

During the 90s used to have two Coonan Model Bs. Used them several times hunting hog it Texas or Whitetails in Kentucky.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

This is last years deer. I didn't have any time to practice with the wheelguns but I had been shooting my duty gun a whole lot so I had a lot of confidence with it. Springfield 1911-A1 45 ACP with a handload of a 200 grain XTP over Unique. Shot was at a lasered distance of 42 yards quartering away. Had a complete pass through and the deer was DRT.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131203_163022_236.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	137374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131203_163046_971.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	137375
    "We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

I would think the .460 Rowland would make a very acceptable hunting tool and a semi could come in handy with a suicidal hog that thought charging one so armed would be a good idea

Boolit Man
    I own five guns that shoot 10mm, longest is 6.6'', none of them will beat a good 357 in
    fps with a 180gr boolit. you have to compare the best loads in both to make it fair.

I also own nineteen 357s.

If you want to see some good data for both here it is.

This is the best factory version for the 357, read the fine print,
    ''This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver - this includes J frames''

The load I cast is 187gr form and old LBT mold, has a bigger meplat and two crimp groves, I can get
    more power from it than the BBore load.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

This is 10mm pull downs of factory ammo, some of them has caused
    smiles in the glock barrels. not good

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...pZy16T0E#gid=6

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...pZy16T0E#gid=7

I also have seven guns that shoot hot 45super and rowland loads, they are more powerful than the 10mm.

Try this link.
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100

Boolit Bub
    Taken a few squirrels with a ruger mkii 22/45 and put a few deer on the side of the road out of their misery with 9mm and 45. Not hard from 10 ft away when they aren't moving

I might consider hunting with one if I practiced at realistic hunting distances enough. Chances are I would take the 357 or 454 though.

Ruger MK semi auto's in .22, 1911 in .45 ACP limted to smallish game and a purpose built .460 Rowland. .44 mag power in a 1911 package. Whats not to like? I took an Uncle Mike's kydex and modified it to clear a scope or red dot and hold with light attached. It is a little bulky and certainly not elegant looking, but it is a fine, fine tool.

In about '82 I had a Bernadelli .32ACP with a six inch barrel that was a nice meat gun on camping trips.
    Used the 313249 with wheel weights, very little powder and ate well.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 04-23-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Banned

I do not like a .357! Why? Bullet, boolit choices, same as the .41 when it came out. Know friends that hunt deer with the .357 and they lost too many. Wrong bullet.
    Nothing wrong with a semi. Even the ACP with the right bullet works.
    But I would prefer a DE in .50 AE. At the least a .44 mag. Not to say a 10 will not work, it will be the bullet and load. Deer are not the same as people. Do not shoot deer with carry loads. Shoot deer with deer loads.

Boolit Bub
    Ok, now I have to have a 460 Rowland...

Are you guys building dedicated guns or swapping calibers back and forth?

Boolit Master
    I shot a doe a year ago w my 1911. Love me some 45acp

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    This is last years deer. I didn't have any time to practice with the wheelguns but I had been shooting my duty gun a whole lot so I had a lot of confidence with it. Springfield 1911-A1 45 ACP with a handload of a 200 grain XTP over Unique. Shot was at a lasered distance of 42 yards quartering away. Had a complete pass through and the deer was DRT.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131203_163022_236.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	137374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131203_163046_971.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	137375
    Sounds like you got a good load there. A lot of people don't like the .45 ACP much for deer but, the ballistics on paper really don't show it justice. Congratulations.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Banned

I have known a couple guys who used .45 acp for deer and it worked well. As for the .357, it works real good for deer so I will respectfully disagree with .44 man on that. I have posted it before, but James Gates, who has for sure, been there, done that, says this

"The Hunter/Shooter that says a properly loaded .357 Magnum is not a viable huntingcartridge for medium game is either uninformed or "has never used one...JCG"
    ConclusionI can only hope that I have cleared the air concerning the use of the .357 Magnum onmedium game. There are other considerations like controllability. If you can't shoot well,you can't hit well! Even with a full power heavy castbullet loads, the .357 Magnum's recoil can be controlled well. Is it better than largercaliber? Maybe and maybe not! Again the controllability factor comes into play! Is itcapable of use on wild hogs and deer? Absolutely!James C Gates - Dixie Slugs"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    460 Rowland makes a lot of sense for hunting.
    I put the 460 Rowland in my Kimber Custom Gold Match. Use it for hogs. I REALLY like it.

Banned

^^^ I have no doubt.

Banned

Never said the .357 was bad, just boolit choices. That has been the only reason I have not hunted deer with one but it is the best for creeps ever made. We have come a long way with cast.

Banned

For sure, the majority of .357 bullets are not hunting bullets. And that was the point you made. Makes sense. Gates designed his own WFN .357. A LBT WFN 180 grain .357 would be a good hunting bullet.