MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BFR owners?

Boolit Master

do you know how it compares to the factory option? The price is comparable after adding in the shoulder belt.

Boolit Master
    Not really sure I had the shoulder rig I use this and a number of different holsters that just snap right on.

I can can say this it is quality rig and comfortable even with the heavy guns like my BFR.

Banned

Nice doe, good shot! But I need a red dot these days. Tried my scope on deer, never again, dim light and I could not see deer through it or the cross hairs. Then most shots are off hand and the cross hairs grew legs to run around like nuts.
    I had a lot of trouble for a shoulder holster to fit my 10" 45-70 so I called Uncle Mikes and was told they don't make a holster for the BFR's. I found the TC super 14, scoped fits like a dream.

Boolit Master

I still dream of finding a sturday heads up style red dot to mount over the rear sight. the full barrel red dots just seem so bulky.

wish I could accurately shoot irons on the BFR. I dunno what it is about me that struggles with them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I still dream of finding a sturday heads up style red dot to mount over the rear sight. the full barrel red dots just seem so bulky.

wish I could accurately shoot irons on the BFR. I dunno what it is about me that struggles with them.
    Mount systems on the heads up sights are the problem, some have one screw. I broke a screw putting one on a gun, Very brittle and never got it tight. Tiny Allen wrench too.

Boolit Master

I'm actually having good luck with my bushnell TRS25. I had the same ocncern as it is held on by a single m3.5 screw. however, that m3.5 screw is stronger than the tiny screw that selects the reticle in a reticle-selectable ultradot.

Maybe the fixed dot ultradot is even better. But I do know that one m3.5 screw is stronger than the reticle dial of the UD4.

Banned

I would love smaller then the 30mm Ultra Dot but I am used to the larger tubes. I worry about rain and snow on the heads up too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I would love smaller then the 30mm Ultra Dot but I am used to the larger tubes. I worry about rain and snow on the heads up too.
    Not to worry Jim - the reflex sights weigh only a half ounce and they will take the recoil of any handcannon currently made with ease. Now as far as rain & snow - they (Aimpoint micro & Leupold DeltaPoint) come with a rubber cover that will keep the rain & snow at bay until you get ready to use it.

I haven't shot in heavy rain or snow conditions with my red dots but I think they would do just fine. Just purchase a couple spare covers, as if you are out and about in heavy cover they can come off - I don't know how, but my granddaughter lost one off a deltapoint, so I replaced that and have a spare.

They are still pretty expensive but Burris makes a good one, and I hear and the older models are priced right. Get one, you'll like it.

Boolit Master
    http://http://www.sightmark.com/sm26003.html

Sightmark makes a very reasonable priced one I have one on a 480 Ruger has held up to date the only complaint is the adjustments are finicky once I got it sighted in I put drop of blue locktite on the screws. they even have a green dot very easy to see in all conditions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    http://http://www.sightmark.com/sm26003.html

Sightmark makes a very reasonable priced one I have one on a 480 Ruger has held up to date the only complaint is the adjustments are finicky once I got it sighted in I put drop of blue locktite on the screws. they even have a green dot very easy to see in all conditions.
    I would love green instead of red. As light changes, red has to be turned up more and more. I check all the time when hunting to see how far to click the light for conditions. I never leave it on and spin to the setting when a deer is seen.
    I did call Bushnell about their reflex when I bought my .475 and asked about recoil, they said NO and I think it was about the mount.
    I seen the Ultra Dot reflex shear screws too.
    Then recoil from my .44 pulled the prisms out of cheap Bushnell, Millet and Tasco red dots. I had to steel bed the glass back in. The cheap glue from China would not hold.
    Too see prices on the Trijicon's reaching $1200 to over $1800 is crazy. Reflex over $600 with a one screw mount! Then a red dot that uses ONE ring!
    I have two Warne rings on my Ultra Dot on the .475 and had the gun twist under it so it got crooked. I use 3 Ultra Dot rings on the .500 JRH and they are holding.
    The .475 is so fierce I steel bedded the base on the gun and used epoxy on the screws. Darn thing was always coming loose and shearing screws.

Boolit Master
    Well I have two Sightmarks one On a 458 SOCOM and have run well over 500 rounds through it not any issues that particular model will show green or red I like you love the green I do not see red very well. That's the Vortexx.

The he small ones in the link has held up on the 480.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    On a positive note, has anyone seen or used the Millet Rear sight?
    I think I may have to get a couple of them. I wonder if they will fit a Ruger?
    http://www.magnumresearch.com//sight...rear-sight.asp

I Just got this sight from MR. You have to modify the gun to use it. The raised boss containing elevation screw threads on the frame has to be milled down. MR customer service told me to ship the gun in to have the sights installed. $45 for fitting, $40 for return shipping. I think I'll return the sights to MR.

Anybody know if the Bowen sight fits w/o mods to the gun? If so, can it be adjusted as low as the ruger sight? I need to be almost bottomed out with factory sights.

Boolit Master
    Nice job on the doe, Cornbread. Have a .454 BFR coming this weekend. Will run the Lee 300-grain boolit to start with.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    The .475 is so fierce I steel bedded the base on the gun and used epoxy on the screws. Darn thing was always coming loose and shearing screws.
    I wish I paid closer attention to this earlier. I read "loose" and thought I understood. I've had bases come loose. I was wrong, I did not understand. My weigand base came off with the scope still attached under recoil. Hit me in the head. That's a way to end a range session....

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I'm actually having good luck with my bushnell TRS25. I had the same ocncern as it is held on by a single m3.5 screw. however, that m3.5 screw is stronger than the tiny screw that selects the reticle in a reticle-selectable ultradot.

Maybe the fixed dot ultradot is even better. But I do know that one m3.5 screw is stronger than the reticle dial of the UD4.
    How is the TRS25 holding up.
    With my old eyes I can see it better than the U dot, it's brighter and cheaper too.

So far I have owned three of the old D mag BFRs and three of the newer BFRs,
    the new ones are better than the D mag ones.

The nice thing about the new ones in 454 is you can size down 45-70 boolits and
    the crimp grove is in a good place, around 1.825'', they have a longer cylinder
    than the Ruger and the FA.

Boolit Master

the gun has been through some rough times and always comes back together. The TRS-25 has never had an issue. I don't use it anymore so it sits on the shelf, but it's as good as the day I bought it, waiting for another gun to put it on.

Maybe ill try it for fun on the 510 wells express. Pretty sure it'll survive just fine and keep on truckin'

Quote Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
    The nice thing about the new ones in 454 is you can size down 45-70 boolits and
    the crimp grove is in a good place, around 1.825'', they have a longer cylinder
    than the Ruger and the FA.
    You are killing me. the 3" cylinder is a bit much but it's nice to have some extra space for loading up the heavies. Sounds like they really nailed it with the short cylinder sizing. IMO 2" would be the perfect size for a big bore. But 1.85 is OK too, compromise to the 1.7" the Ruger is.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 04-22-2015 at 06:22 PM.