Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: collecting early repro percussion revolvers

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii

collecting early repro percussion revolvers

I was primed at an early age to collect repro percussion revolvers. As a kid in the early 1970's I remember the popularity of all things black powder. The navy and replica arms catalogs could make a kid dream and wish he had some or all of the neat stuff they were making at the time. But alas, nothing that cool comes cheap. And so it was with blackpowder revolvers. As I remember it, everything was priced at around a hundred bucks, A fortune for a kid in his early teens in the 70's.

Those revolvers were completely out of my reach at the time but somehow I reasoned that time and the publics sometimes fickle wants in firearms would bring these guns to an affordable level. And well heck, it took over 40 years but sure enough it happened. lots of early repros are affordable. I was not completely right, people still love cap and ball revolvers. but the revolvers themselves evolved. they became better, better fit, better finish and more value for the money.

The early guns, in my opinion have a hard time competing against the new wonderfully fitted and finished 300 dollar Uberti pistols, a huge value for the money. However that makes the field of collecting early repros ripe for the would be collector. Guns are often bargain priced. Lots survived in unfired condition and many were made and marked for a bewildering array of different companies that marketed them to the public. variety and variations abound. the trick is separating the treasures from the chafe. and thats still a work in progress. I think a clear cut knowledge of what is rare is still years away. but rest assured, some good values are out there. Jay

Boolit Master
    Dr Jim Davis has a website devoted to collecting replica C&B revolvers. I do not have a link. His group has quite a bit of the history and some beautiful examples of C&B revolvers. Around here, the early ones are not necessarily cheaper than a newer one. Condition and scarcity play a big role in pricing. I have a few revolvers that were imported by Replica Arms of Marietta Ohio and an even earlier 1851 made by Gregorelli & Uberti and imported by Navy Arms. You can still find good deals but you need to be patient and look for them.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a decent site for C&B's: http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php
    Domari Nolo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Dr Jim Davis has a website devoted to collecting replica C&B revolvers. I do not have a link. His group has quite a bit of the history and some beautiful examples of C&B revolvers. Around here, the early ones are not necessarily cheaper than a newer one. Condition and scarcity play a big role in pricing. I have a few revolvers that were imported by Replica Arms of Marietta Ohio and an even earlier 1851 made by Gregorelli & Uberti and imported by Navy Arms. You can still find good deals but you need to be patient and look for them.

Kevin
    Kevin, You are right, early is no guarantee of a bargain, but I believe the newer stuff may, to some extent, still keep the price of older guns somewhat soft. Just as you noted, patience and effort pays off. The Gregorelli & Uberti 1851 you have is a good example of a bargain. Its the gun that started the "repro revolver revolution" so to speak. The first repro on the market in say 1958 or 59. For me, everything about that gun is great, its a straight forward, no bells or whistles pistol thats extremely well made,with fit, finish and contours that are excellent. This is the gun that likely had a lot to do with getting repro revolvers off on the right foot. I keep a close eye out for this model and have seen them sell for under 200 bucks, truly a bargain. Jay
    Last edited by jaystuw; 12-24-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Boolit Master

That addressed was blocked by my security software as an "attack page".
    Does anyone know what in the blue blazes that's supposed to mean?

Boolit Master
    It did mine too.
    I have several replica arms revolvers, and they are as nice as my "real" colts, so maybe the stories are true. All I know is that they were the best reputation back then, and are still as nice today.
    I never thought of collecting repro bp, this looks like a dangerous cave to crawl down
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Banned
    Dryball and Strawhat, Thanks for the website info! I have checked them out and they are now both my favorites, A wealth of cool pic's and information! Jay

Boolit Master
    Hmm, when I click on the link, it gives me the same warning that is mentioned. But when I go to it from my favorites, no problem! Not sure what is happening.

Kevin

Banned
    A couple of pre-1962 Uberti's ,one well used, and the other unfired!

Boolit Bub
    I own one of those original Gregorelli-Uberti 1851's. I need to replace the loading lever, what do I replace it with? Will a Uberti 1851 fit the bill. Please let me know. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Somebody has published a price guide to replica blackpowder guns. I think his name is Dennis Adler (My books are packed up and I can't get to them at the moment.

I found it among the remainders at Half Price Books. Don't know how realistic the prices are (the same goes for every other price guide in any category) but the fact that somebody actually went to the trouble to publish it indicates that there must be some collectors' interest out there.

Everything eventually becomes a collector's item.

Banned
    Hankster1962. My feeling is that a current loading lever will fit with little or no problem. So far, all the replacement parts I have installed on my pistols have gone on with little or no fitting and worked great. Let us know how the new lever works out on your early Uberti. Jay

Boolit Bub
    thanks jaystuw for your advice. My Gregorelli is serial number 2863. I ordered a loading lever from VTI gun parts in Connecticutt. Hopefully have it in the next week or so. The fellow there told me on the phone that it should fit without or with very little mods to it. Cannot wait to get it back. Other than that, the only thing I replaced was the trigger, and I made a new front sight to get it to shoot point of aim. I kept the old sight in case I want to return it to original. Let you know how I make out. thanks

Boolit Bub
    Hey jaystuw, got my part in today and installed it. Everything fit together perfectly, but the latch would not lock the lever into place. It was a little to thick. A very light filing job corrected that and it now works great, and looks awesome. Thanks