MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Squib Loads - Rounds did not get powder charge

Squib Loads - Rounds did not get powder charge

I found about 3% of some recently loaded 38 super rounds that did not get a powder charge. I am loading on a 550B and I know the powder hopper did not run low.

I have only had one uncharged case in about 75K rounds that I have loaded in my life. I just found 9 in a batch of 300.

I am always very careful and double or triple check when I have to pause my loading operation.

I am using a new propellant - WSF and brand new PMC cases, although I don't see how either of these would cause this effect.

I was thinking powder bridging, but I think if that were happening, I'd see some double charges, which I haven't seen. It seems like it has to be related to the dillon powder measure, but I don't see how. I had the powder measure failsafe installed properly when I loaded these rounds.

Have you guys ever seen anything like this before?
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Master
    Check the nut that holds the bell crank in place on the powder measure, it that becomes loose, it will let the crank rotate without moving the powder measure bar.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

Dunno, 38SA, but the only squibs I've loaded were put together on a Dillon 450, with auto powder drop. I've gone back to the manually operated Redding measure, with a little LED spotlight shining in the case neck at the subsequent station. Slower, but more reliable.

Mark

Some ideas...

• The Dillon company has a forum on their web site. You might log on there and ask them. There might be a known issue with your powder dispenser. One thing for sure is that the repair parts will be cheap seeing as how any Dillon product is guaranteed for life of the present owner.

• You might remove the shuttle assy and make sure that the various clips inside that keep the adjusting slide tight are all in place.
    Old and Wobbly !!

But it sure beats the other option!

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    What powder? Happens to me with Red Dot all the time- albeit with a Lee- but the principle is sound that a small charge of a light but bulky powder might bridge and not drop properly.

Boolit Master
    AZ PETE IS RIGHT. I HAD THIS HAPPEN ALSO. you can weigh the loaded rd an find the ones with out powder or just shoot then at close targets NOT.

Boolit Master
    Never being a trusting person I modified my first Dillion 550 with a pair of Mirrors!

A tube of sliicone sealant stuck a mirror in at about a 40 degree angle and it also glued the other mirror to the side of the Dillion frame!

Now while I'm setting in front if it, and I have decent lighting, I can see into each case before I set a bullet into the case for seating!

This get up works just like a periscope! Everybody who seen it copies it real quick!

I have never had a double charge or an empty case go by me and this set up makes me as safe as can be!

I also don't like automatic powder measures and will stick with the original "pusher" measures until I die or I can find me a redhead to push it for me......

You obviously aren't a newbie with the 550-

when i get stumped i go back to the help pages of the manual and make myself read all entries in the related categories. Even though i've run thousands of rounds through my 550 (and 650 too) i find this makes me step back and look at the problem from a fresh perspective. Usually i figure it out even if the issue I am having isn't addressed specifically in the help tips.

if i can't fix it, when i call dillon i can review what i've done with the technical help guy and at least have allready done or checked the first 4 things he would suggest.

from http://www.dillonhelp.com/rl550enghe.../rl550_pg1.htm

Powder throw is inconsistent
    1. Erratic handle movement
    a. smoothly cycle the handle all the way down and then all of the way up
    2. Not going full stroke on the handle (part #511)
    a. pull the handle down all of the way and then push it up all of the way
    3. Machine is not secured properly
    a. look for loose bolts or an unstable bench
    4. Powder has not settled in the hopper (part #540)
    a. cycle the handle (part #511) four or five times
    b. keep the powder measure hopper at least half full
    5. Wrong size powder bar for the powder throw requirements
    a. use the small bar for ten grains or less and the large bar for more than ten grains
    6. Powder funnel, drop tube or powder measure body is dirty or is clogged a. soak the powder funnel in rubbing alcohol or in acetone
    b. swab out the drop tube with a dry cotton swab
    c. wipe out the powder measure body with a dry cloth
    7. Powder die (part #542) is not screwed down far enough to allow full travel of the powder bar (part #529S or #529L)
    a. consult the RL 550B instruction manual for the proper adjustment of the powder die
    8. Bellcrank bolt (part #582) is loose
    a. this allows the bellcrank cube to slip out of engagement with the powder bar
    b. tighten the bolt
    9. If you are still having difficulty, please E-mail Dillon's Technical Support Staff or call 1-800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009

Machine is not throwing a powder charge
    1. Powder measure is out of powder
    a. make sure that there is powder in the powder measure hopper
    2. No case is in the shellplate
    a. a case must be in the shellplate to activate the powder measure
    3. No funnel is installed
    a. consult the RL 550B Instruction manual for the proper funnel for the desired caliber
    4. Powder die is not screwed down far enough
    a. the powder funnel must engage the case in order for the powder measure to work.
    5. Powder measure is plugged
    a. empty the powder from the powder measure hopper and look for obstructions in the powder measure and in the powder bar
    6. If you are still having difficulty, please E-mail Dillon's Technical Support Staff or call 1-800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009
    Last edited by cohutt; 04-04-2008 at 06:09 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by heavyMetal View Post
    Never being a trusting person I modified my first Dillion 550 with a pair of Mirrors!
    heavyMetal,
    How about a pciture of your mirror setup, I'd like to steal your idea for my 550B
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Master
    Gar:
    When my "tech Support" gets home from work I'll ask her to check out the info in the stickies and see if she can set me up to post a photo for you.

Kid was talking computer"smack" yesterday and I think something needs an update on the web page?? before we can do the photo, but it could be it only affects her u tube stuff.

Kids!

Boolit Master
    Heavymetal- Any chance of you posting pics of your mirrors on your Dillon. I have been fiddling with what you descibe on my 450 but am far from perfection. I like to see into the case for power height just before I set the bullet and index.
    JD

38 super- I had the same thing happen to me about 2 years ago, I found a box with mostly squibs in it. I couldn't figure out why until I started to reload again and only with unique, all my other loads were just fine. There was a small pistol primer that had got into the powder itself and so when I would fill the hopper sometimes it would allow the powder to dump normally and sometimes it would hold it up. I have no idea how a primer got in there but now when I fill the hopper I have a strainer that I put over the funnel and all powder goes thru the strainer first.

Heavy Metal- I thought of doing the same thing to one of my Lee 1000's but I still haven't come up with a solution yet.

Boolit Master
    My tech supprot tell me I need to get a windows update before I can load a page! Guess the windows I got with the silly thing expired!

Will get that done this week end and will try to post a pic or two of my "smoke and Mirrors" trick.