Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300 blackout for hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    There isn't too much data out for the 300AAC so it doesn't have a track record for being adequate for deer. The 7.62x39 however, can be loaded up to the factory 30-30 in performance. The Speer #11 lists a charge of 30 grains of Norma 201 producing 2232FPS in the 7.62x39 with a 130 grain bullet. The 30-30 with the same bullet weight and a charge of 32 grains of the same powder produces 2194FPS. Since the 300AAC isn't chambered in 19th century guns like it's close relative the 32-20, I'm guessing that it's potential might surprise some when it's chambered in single shot and bolt guns. I find it perfectly adequate for deer for 100 yards and under.
    You are using selective ballistics, the 30/30 will fire a 170 grain bullet at the same speed the 7.62X39 will fire a 125 gr. bullet, not even close.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    There isn't too much data out for the 300AAC so it doesn't have a track record for being adequate for deer. The 7.62x39 however, can be loaded up to the factory 30-30 in performance. The Speer #11 lists a charge of 30 grains of Norma 201 producing 2232FPS in the 7.62x39 with a 130 grain bullet. The 30-30 with the same bullet weight and a charge of 32 grains of the same powder produces 2194FPS. Since the 300AAC isn't chambered in 19th century guns like it's close relative the 32-20, I'm guessing that it's potential might surprise some when it's chambered in single shot and bolt guns. I find it perfectly adequate for deer for 100 yards and under.
    I am only 30 fps behind that 30-30 load with a 16" AR15, and a cast 130 grain boolit. I can surpass the 30-30 in performance with a 110 grain all copper Barnes tac-tx 300 blackout that will expand out to 400 yards. Those things are accurate, and spendy, but are the go to bullet for the blackout if you need it to perform 100% to its capacity. Like I said before, my limit on deer is relatively close, but I do not get cross canyon shots here in this thick Oregon coast brush so it works for me.

Boolit Buddy

We can't hunt CF weapons here for deer, or I would try the 300blk. I'd load either the 125gr NosBT at the fastest speed I could maintain accuracy from, or.... if I were to venture into sub territory, I would load what I load for a PD/HD round, the Lehigh Defense 194gr ME. This is a serious subsonic projectile, expensive, but devastating at subsonic velocities..

Subs would be less than a 100yd shot, but the 125BT would reach out quite a bit more. One day I will take the peestol down to Tejas and try it out on some deer..

I am just starting to do some cast loads for the 300, we'll see how they work out soon!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    You are using selective ballistics, the 30/30 will fire a 170 grain bullet at the same speed the 7.62X39 will fire a 125 gr. bullet, not even close.

Yes ......at the muzzle........but look at the BC of the bullet. Very likely at 100 yds due to the pointed spitzer shape the 300 wins. The flat meplat of the 30/30 is going to loose much more energy than that pointed spitzer. I think we also have to remember bullet design here. Energy is not the single factor we have to look at. The 30/30 will have an expanded frontal area when it mushrooms but I would not think more that .5 or so. Bullet design on some of the monolithic stuff will go 2x caliber or better. We aren't exactly comparing apples to apples here. If energy is the only killing factor why will a 220 swift bring them down like a bolt of lightning shooting in the neck? Only a 50ish grain bullet but traveling nearly 4k. it relies on speed and a good fragmenting bullet. If you pick the right bullet design for what you plan to do anything is possible. I am not a believer in one size fits all application of hunting kill zones and bullets.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    A blackout is just fine for a 100 yd deer rifle using 125-150 gr bullet ..done it several times already.. Mi hec 312-159 HP 50/50/2
    None of them went more than 35 yds some drt
    I built a 300BLK rifle for my son (11) to use on a ranch hunt. Basically, a pig hunt inside 150 yards.
    Since it was an AR platform rifle, the stock was much easier for him to handle and adjust for LOP
    than my 308. Plus, the recoil was barely more than my AR-15 which he was already used to. These
    are pretty much the reasons I had for 300BLK. It's definitely not a long-range sniper accuracy gun.

I'm going to start loading these, likely with copper (due to being in ***-backwards-commie-condor-
    California).. and will probably stick with 130-168gn HPBTs.

Would welcome any advice.. Thanks!

(new here.. my 2nd post!)

Boolit Buddy

Welcome FishnShoot! There is a lot of data out there if you look around for loading jboolits (you can use that data for similar booits that are CA approved.. lol) in the 300blk. There are also tons of options, since you can load about any 308 bullet out there, from 110 to over 240gr.

I haven't really loaded a mid range load for mine, as I don't hunt with it, only up to 125grBT's and then subs from about 190 and up.

For supers for hunting, you have a lot of options even with a carbine length gas system, subs are tougher unless it is a pistol gas barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post

However selective it might be, it's still factual and that's all that matters. Why would anyone use data that doesn't coincide with what they're trying to point out? Again, according to the Speer #11 manual, shows a max load of 29 grains of N201 for the 170 grain bullet, producing 1953fps out of a Winchester 94. The 7.62x39 will produce 2232fps out of a Ruger Mini 30, using a 130 grain bullet and 30 grains of N201. Both are max loads, both are with Speer components and printed by Speer.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I am only 30 fps behind that 30-30 load with a 16" AR15, and a cast 130 grain boolit. I can surpass the 30-30 in performance with a 110 grain all copper Barnes tac-tx 300 blackout that will expand out to 400 yards. Those things are accurate, and spendy, but are the go to bullet for the blackout if you need it to perform 100% to its capacity. Like I said before, my limit on deer is relatively close, but I do not get cross canyon shots here in this thick Oregon coast brush so it works for me.
    I'm still experimenting with my Encore in 300AAC but I'm finding IMR4227 and the 311413 showing great potential. I don't know the velocity yet because it's too damn cold to set up my chronograph but I'm going to do more experimenting in the spring. The 311291 is another one I want to try with 4227.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    Yes ......at the muzzle........but look at the BC of the bullet. Very likely at 100 yds due to the pointed spitzer shape the 300 wins. The flat meplat of the 30/30 is going to loose much more energy than that pointed spitzer. I think we also have to remember bullet design here. Energy is not the single factor we have to look at. The 30/30 will have an expanded frontal area when it mushrooms but I would not think more that .5 or so. Bullet design on some of the monolithic stuff will go 2x caliber or better. We aren't exactly comparing apples to apples here. If energy is the only killing factor why will a 220 swift bring them down like a bolt of lightning shooting in the neck? Only a 50ish grain bullet but traveling nearly 4k. it relies on speed and a good fragmenting bullet. If you pick the right bullet design for what you plan to do anything is possible. I am not a believer in one size fits all application of hunting kill zones and bullets.
    Sorta begs the question though, if a fella loads the thutty-thutty with a spitzer, huh? Myself, thinking the old dog wins and there are cast bullets with pointy noses out there.

On another point, disparate comparisons with other cartridges is something Einstein would have labeled as relative. Me too, but I don't get the point of the exercise.

Hodgdon LVR. .30-30 Win, .308", 150 gr., 2.550" OAL 35.0 gr @ 2,314 fps, 28,700 CUP start
    .................................................. .........................38.5Cgr @ 2512 fps 34,800 CUP max
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

If you can get the RD to 1800 in BO it should be good for 100 yds. If a 230 sub will take deer close, the RD will too.
    Whatever!

The problem with the 311-165 will be nose deformity. I've shot hundreds in my 10.5" 300blk pistol. Also feeding can be an issue, loaded with gas check even with bottom of the neck, under recoil the short rounds will move forward in the magazine, then when trying to chamber will cause a 3pt jam. Need to load as long as your gun will allow you to chamber without set back and still feed. I've had my best results with Lancer mags.

Boolit Master
    Guys I have been working on an HP 220 grain cast for sub. I already offer an expanding swaged version. If you are interested shoot me a PM
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Location, location, location....Placement, placement, placement...out to 70-80 yards the Blackout subsonic in 220-250 grains should be fine, especially if you can get accuracy from your barrel.
    If don't have consistency, and know your trajectory and range, you should stay in the observation and learning mode.
    Most of my shots are more like 40 yards or less, so I expect full through-the-shoulders penetration when I get the chance to pull a trigger. If I cannot put the bullet where it belongs, I pass the shot.
    Life is too short to spend hours tracking.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy

What I got from this thread is that anyone who has harvested deer with the 300 blackout would do it again. Personally, I would feel confident out to 200 yards supersonic. I haven't shot subsonic yet but I think I would keep it to under 50 yards if I did. And if I'm going to be under 50 yards I'd just as soon use my bow.

Boolit Bub
    Shot placement is the thing as has been said ad infinitum, but I have taken deer at 150-175 yds with 300AC handloads without problem. Honestly, It isn't sporting enough for me to shoot them much past 100 but that's just me. Even taken one at 30yds, but that was while hog hunting and I agree i would have rather have used my bow. Nice thing about using the rifle at those short ranges though is fast follow up shots if you want/need them. Especially for hogs. I have been using 150gr soft points which everyone says don't expand, but loaded toward hot I haven't seen that.

Boolit Buddy

I actually built my BO for hogs but enjoy it for deer hunting too. I haven't supressed yet but need to. The encroaching civilization complains of the shooting.

Boolit Master
    Another opinion, and I know the flaw with the study but I thought it adds to the discussion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...87920726,d.cGU

The Noe 311247 works well subsonic if hollow pointed. I shot a doe last season through the lungs @ 25 yards. She ran about 30 yards and fell. Fairly Large exit hole.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	133700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	133704