Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Wow! Almost KABOOM today!!

Boolit Master

Wow! Almost KABOOM today!!

What is different in these shells? One is a 16 gauge slug!!!!!! This is out of box of factory Remington Reduced Recoil Rifled Slugs!!!!!!! Just picked up a box at Rural King before heading to the range to shoot my Gold Hunter. The 16 gauge shell feed and was jammed into the barrel of my 12 gauge while shooting. The shotgun fed another shell but thankfully wouldn't go into battery!!!! Still shaking at what could have happened.

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

You'll be lucky to get so much as a response let alone an apology from CrÀpington.

Possibly switched in the store?
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Possibly switched in the store?
    I doubt it, I bought them this morning and they do not carry 16 gauge slugs. In fact, only 16 gauge was behind the counter. This came from the factory this way.

The last 16 gauge slugs I bought was WW back in 2008 and they were red! So I know this isn't mine.

I know mistakes happen, I have gotten a high brass shell in with some light target loads before. But never a different gauge before!

On a happy note, Gold Hunter 3.5" feeds Supreme loads from Wally World without a hicup!

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Interesting... I haven't even *seen* 16-gauge shells on the shelf in quite a few years. Don't have a 16-gauge anymore, so haven't been particularly looking for them though. It seems that everyone has switched to 12 or 20 gauge.

In remington's defense a 16ga slug has less recoil than a 12ga slug so it is a reduced recoil load. I am glad that you and your shotgun weren't injured. Please post remington's response, if any, to their latest screwup.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Ask your retailer what the hell happened. Unless your box was sealed when you brought it home, some other customer has a box of 16 gauge with a 12 in it! That box could still be sitting on the store shelf.

Was there a "click" while you were shooting and you had to manually recycle? I am just curious about the sequence. I believe a 16 ga will hang in a 12 ga forcing cone, and typically not let a 12ga to fully chamber on top of it, unlike a 20ga, which will Kaboom big time (hence the bright yellow 20 gauge shells). Boy, that sure looks like a big QC "oops".

I watched a guy shoot 300win mag in his 300 Weatherby. It didn't blow up but the brass was...let's call it unservicable.

My father got a 20ga shell in his 12ga box. It just clicked and didn't fire.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    You probably owe that escape to Sir Gerald Burrard, a highly regarded forensic and product liability consultant, and author of the three-volume "The Modern Shotgun". Even the latest editions are 1960s updates of a considerably earlier book - from about the time the modern shotgun was perfected, in fact - but I think it is still the best book written in English on the subject, and second-best is nowhere.

Sir Gerald considered the combination of 16ga round and 12ga chamber to be a particularly dangerous one. It could fit and fill the bore if it was .732 rather than .729 or the shell was under maximum diameter, and it came closer than the others (20 and 12, 28 and 20 etc.) to doubling the weight and charge intended. So he proposed to the major cartridge manufacturers, and they agreed, that the rim should be very slightly enlarged to prevent this. I wouldn't like to count on it with every cartridge and gun that ever was, but it will protect you most of the time.

Provided that the 16ga head was right up against the front of the 12ga case, this did not invariably cause disintegration of even a traditionally made, mild steel and case hardened, shotgun. Even a short gap causes the front round to become a bore obstruction encountered by the shot, which is far more likely to cause an explosion. As it will occur where the pressure is highest, and at the point where the front of the chamber makes a local thinning of the barrel wall, it will be an extremely destructive one. People walk away from shotgun explosions virtually unhurt in the great majority of cases. But this is one of the worst.

The chances of little or no damage are greater if the front round doesn't ignite. In this case modern cartridges, with crimp closure, must be considered a liability. Shot cushioned by an overshot wad quite often failed to set off the primer. But without that, a pellet usually does.

There is a letter of John M. Browning to Winchester, at the time of the wrangling over the design of his automatic shotgun, which led up to the parting of the ways when they wanted to go on buying his patents rather than paying him royalties. He had found a .30-40 round in a consignment of .303 and as he said, a fine thing that would be to a machine-gunner in a hot situation.

Boolit Master
    I always thought 16ga was a different color like 12 and 20, i know federal 16ga are purple(dont tell my wife she will want a 16ga) instead of the red/maroon, good thing you were not hurt, makes me glad the LGS lets me open the box to verify before i buy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    I always thought 16ga was a different color like 12 and 20
    I can remember when there were quite a few different colors in 12-gauge.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't think a 16 ga would go very far into the chamber, deep enough the firing pin wont hit, but not deep enough another shell would fit behind it.

Went skeet shooting years ago, I had my 16 w me, one of my friends just grabbed some shells, the 16 fed thru the action of his 12 but wouldn't fire.

Glad to hear it went as well as it did.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    some 16s I have that are modern are purple, others are blue, and a few are green. 12 gauges in my area are usually black or red. 20 gauges are usually yellow (I have a few older ones that are blue, green, and even a few orange)

Never trust the color of a shell to tell it all to you. I know that isn't what happened to Lefty, (or maybe it was but the switch was at the factory) but I would be willing to bet remington would make it right if notified.

I will be honest alot of folks on here run remington down, but I have always had very good luck with remington ammunition and firearms up until the last few years. I am no longer impressed with their guns, but the ONLY ammunition problems I have really had is with their 30-30 170gr core lokts. The last few boxes I have had won't expand. I have hit deer through and through and punched holes in bone without any expansion on them. Dunno what it is about them now.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy
    Current production 16's that I have run across are red, black, purple or green. So are 12's. I often shoot both so I actually keep different range bags to prevent this.

One of the few times it is good that it didn't go bang.

Boolit Master
    Remington's plant at Lonoke, Ark. is their ammunition production facility. It'd be interesting to hear what they had to say about this.