Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Closer to Moving Back to America

In Remembrance
    I can remember working construction in Houston when the border patrol raided jobs, and actually hauled the illegals back to Mexico. I also remember that on average those that wasn't ready for a vacation would be back in three days. I can also remember when school teachers south of I 10 did not have to be bilingual to be considered for a job.
    Anybody that thinks Texas hasn't changed (not as fast as Cali) is not living in the real world.
    I was born and raised in Texas, as my faminy was for several generations, but I watched it change enough, that I hope never to have to live there again, I do not think illegals had that much to do with it near as much as folks moving in by the hundreds of thousands from other states, bringing their thinking of how it was done back where they came from, including on how to deal with the illegals crossing the border, which Texas had dealt with fine since it before it was ever a state.
    I also remember how HOT it is in Texas, also how cold the West Texas wind can be. lol

Banned

"So, which part of "demographics" are you concerned about?"

The liberal part. Hispanics vote at least 2/3 for democrats. Plus there are a whole bunch of nitwits moving from california to texas. May take 10 or 20 years, but that is too soon for me.

Much of the discussion about how Democrats are going to “turn Texas blue” revolves around demographic changes, especially immigration reform. Allowing millions of illegal aliens to find a pathway to citizenship will create millions of new Democratic voters. In the meantime, Republican opposition to that plan is said to be pushing Latino voters away. All Democrats need to do is boost their turnout, and the GOP’s Alamo will fall.
    Yet there is another demographic change that is bound to have an effect on Texas: the rapid influx of refugees from blue states.
    The Manhattan Institute notes that Texas is the number-one destination for California’s émigré population, for example. It is popular among migrants from other blue states as well, owing to its warm climate, job opportunities, and lack of a state income tax. Over time, that is changing Texas’s political culture.
    It has happened in Virginia, where urbane transplants from D.C. and Maryland have moved the state ever-more firmly into the Democratic column. It has happened in New Hampshire, where the motto remains “Live Free or Die,” but where professionals fleeing “Taxachusetts” have shifted the state sharply left. It has happened in Colorado, where liberal arrivals with a taste for the outdoors helped transform the local political culture.
    That process will take far longer in Texas, but liberal enclaves in Austin and San Antonio are no longer as isolated as they were a few years ago.
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...rn-texas-blue/

Moderator Emeritus

Put in a gate, give the land owner the key, warn them the penalty is huge if the gate is left hanging open unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, they should build it in the center of the river since any place on our side is in effect taking away land from our own citizens. Some of them come from families who were here before the US even came into existence. They didn't necessary *ask* to be part of the US -- it was forced upon them. I don't own land down there, but I can definitely see their point of view. I wouldn't want the government to be coming around limiting my access to my own land either.

My family lost a few hundred acres of land back in the early 1900s when the government decided to dam up a bayou and make a lake. They claimed imminent domain and paid pennies on the dollar for the land. So, maybe I'm a bit sensitive about the government deciding to basically take your land from you and there not being a thing you can do about it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I do not think illegals had that much to do with it near as much as folks moving in by the hundreds of thousands from other states, bringing their thinking of how it was done back where they came from, including on how to deal with the illegals crossing the border, which Texas had dealt with fine since it before it was ever a state.
    Yeah, I've long said that the biggest problem we have in Texas in from the other borders, not the southern one. Get rid of the Yankee infiltration and Texas will be a LOT better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Put in a gate, give the land owner the key, warn them the penalty is huge if the gate is left hanging open unattended.
    I remember seeing awhile back an article about the border fence near San Diego. It seems that sections of it are disappearing and ending up being sold to the scrap yards in TJ.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "So, which part of "demographics" are you concerned about?"

The liberal part. Hispanics vote at least 2/3 for democrats. Plus there are a whole bunch of nitwits moving from california to texas. May take 10 or 20 years, but that is too soon for me.

Much of the discussion about how Democrats are going to “turn Texas blue” revolves around demographic changes, especially immigration reform. Allowing millions of illegal aliens to find a pathway to citizenship will create millions of new Democratic voters. In the meantime, Republican opposition to that plan is said to be pushing Latino voters away. All Democrats need to do is boost their turnout, and the GOP’s Alamo will fall.
    Yet there is another demographic change that is bound to have an effect on Texas: the rapid influx of refugees from blue states.
    The Manhattan Institute notes that Texas is the number-one destination for California’s émigré population, for example. It is popular among migrants from other blue states as well, owing to its warm climate, job opportunities, and lack of a state income tax. Over time, that is changing Texas’s political culture.
    It has happened in Virginia, where urbane transplants from D.C. and Maryland have moved the state ever-more firmly into the Democratic column. It has happened in New Hampshire, where the motto remains “Live Free or Die,” but where professionals fleeing “Taxachusetts” have shifted the state sharply left. It has happened in Colorado, where liberal arrivals with a taste for the outdoors helped transform the local political culture.
    That process will take far longer in Texas, but liberal enclaves in Austin and San Antonio are no longer as isolated as they were a few years ago.
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...rn-texas-blue/

Texas

2 Senators - Both Republican.

36 Representatives - 25 Republican, 11 Democrat

38 Electoral Votes, all went to Romney

Texas House of Representatives (148) - 97 Republican, 51 Democrat
    Texas Senate (31) - 20 Republican, 11 Democrat
    Texas Governor - Republican
    Texas Lieutenant Governor - Republican
    Texas Attorney General - Republican

Yeah, we're so liberal.

Let's just forget all of those pro gun laws and all those other Conservative laws that have been passed in the last few years. Oh, and let's forget about how many illegals we've deported and removed from our great state. Like I said, California may allow them to waltz on over and take over, but we're more likely to open a can of whoop *** on them.

Banned

I think you missed the point/reality. Today it is all good. Let's see what tomorrow brings. If we are still on this forum 10 to 20 years hence, we can revisit this. I pray that the demographics somehow defy the odds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I think you missed the point/reality. Today it is all good. Let's see what tomorrow brings. If we are still on this forum 10 to 20 years hence, we can revisit this. I pray that the demographics somehow defy the odds.
    Considering the odds are just speculation at this point, I'd say we'll still be doing fine in 20 years.

Boolit Master
    I moved to California in 1965. It has changed a bunch. In the last 50 years most places have changed a bunch and will do so it the next 50 years. Don't stick your head where it doesn't belong and ignore the changes. Some changes you will be able to influence and some will overwhelm you. You can't stop changes but you can influence some of them and maybe even stop some. Be careful what you wish for.

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii
    Smokeywolf has crafted an excellent original post that has developed into a very popular thread. Why would he or anyone not want to Escape California , its chocked full of libs, gays, Hispanics and who knows what else. An overload of diversity, Not a safe or sane environment by any standard! (well, except mine)

But here's the deal guys, Look past the Cali Crazyville stuff, old news. Instead, lets look at what Smokeywolfs got going on. He's looking for a new home in America. Anywhere in America. And why not, with a budget of 400 thousand bucks and say another 100 g's for improvements on the property he has a lot of options. And if things go south a little bit and something breaks on his new ranch? well, the 6 figure nestegg covers that. Oh, and a pension check to boot. No worrys!

Sounds good. no, actually it sounds great, its exactly what guys dream about.

Now lets get down to the brass tacks part. The money! That's really what its about. Heck, its what everything is about. How does one generate that kind of money? That's the thing about California that no one is talking about. Smokeywolf, I and all Southern Californians spent our working lives smack dab on top of a gold mine! Who cares if its a crazy lib state, We cash out in the top 15 percent of wealth in the country or better. Yea! who needs the lottery? Thank you California! Jay
    Last edited by jaystuw; 03-09-2015 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaystuw View Post
    Smokeywolf has crafted an excellent original post that has developed into a very popular thread. Why would he or anyone not want to Escape California , its chocked full of libs, gays, Hispanics and who knows what else. An overload of diversity, Not a safe or sane environment by any standard! (well, except mine)

But here's the deal guys, Look past the Cali Crazyville stuff, old news. Instead, lets look at what Smokeywolfs got going on. He's looking for a new home in America. Anywhere in America. And why not, with a budget of 400 thousand bucks and say another 100 g's for improvements on the property he has a lot of options. And if things go south a little bit and something breaks on his new ranch? well, the 6 figure nestegg covers that. Oh, and a pension check to boot. No worrys!

Now lets get down to the brass tacks part. The money! That's really what its about. Heck, its what everything is about. How does one generate that kind of money? That's the thing about California that no one is talking about. Smokeywolf, I and all Southern Californians spent our working lives smack dab on top of a gold mine! Who cares if its a crazy lib state, We cash out in the top 15 percent of wealth in the country or better. Yea! who needs the lottery? Thank you California! Jay
    That's where your wrong. Not everything is about money. I feel sorry for those to whom it is.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaystuw View Post

Some of us have managed to accumulate more wealth than that and not resort to having to live in a leftist state where everything is ridiculously price (well, maybe other than fresh veggies that are grown in the Imperial Valley). Maybe I don't have a pension, but I've got no debts (all houses, vehicles, etc paid for), live well beneath my means, and have a pretty good portfolio. In fact, I've made over $130K so far this year between my taxable and retirement investment accounts. Last year (2014), it was a bit over $284K. In 2013, it was a bit over $334K. Besides, you have no guarantee that a pension will last. If the company goes out of business, your pension might disappear also. Don't be so quick to think that those of who live in conservative states where we still have a majority of our firearm rights are just some country bumpkins.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    That's where your wrong. Not everything is about money. I feel sorry for those to whom it is.
    Acquiring wealth is kind of like getting the high score on a video game. The pursuit of it is addicting, but in the end, you run out of lives and you are still dead.

Boolit Master

Here's an example (as if we really *needed* one) of how screwed up Kalifornia has become:

UC-Irvine Students Vote to Ban American Flag

Freebullet - "That's where you're wrong. Not everything is about money. I feel sorry for those to whom it is."

"to whom it is" will not here you and if they do, will not believe you.....
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Grand Master

After being born in Cali, I spent most of my adult life in Kansas, and somehow
    without the "benefit" of California, managed to put together a good retirement
    fund that will let me do what I want in retirement, and move to a house in the
    country on some acres where I can shoot and do my other hobbies in my big shop.

I have friends and relatives still in California and visit regularly. I enjoy a lot of things
    there, but the overriding low-class Mexican culture that is taking over everything becomes
    wearing relatively quickly and we are happy to leave in a week or less. Just going to
    a grocery store at 8 pm to pick up something requires running the gauntlet through
    dozens of low rider cars with crowds of Mexicans lounging around and playing extremely
    loud Mexican music in the parking lot - apparently this is now "their territory" and they
    feel free to just take it over. Lots more examples. Sick of it.

Add in the insane antigun laws, taxes and all the other leftist intrusion and my home state
    is not where I wanted to be. Even turned down a really interesting job offer
    about 20 years ago because I just couldn't stomach selling off a bunch of my guns
    because they didn't meet the requirements of the antigunners there and adding
    in a 1 hour insane-traffic commute to my life to get to an "affordable" housing area
    which was still triple the cost of the same house in a nice suburb in KS near KC
    with a 20 minute commute with no traffic jams 99% of the time.

IMO, it is dramatically more difficult to be able to afford both a good retirement
    investment and a nice home in most parts of Cali. Choose one - nice house or
    retirement investment; due to extremely high home costs, having both is difficult.
    Frequently folks have to sell their home and move elsewhere when they retire
    because their home IS their retirement, most of their money went into it and
    the only way to have it for retirement is to move to a more sanely priced part
    of the country. I do know a few that have sold and moved into a tiny home in CA
    to access their "savings", but that seems like a sort of sad thing.

In Kansas and many other areas you can have a home AND a retirement investment
    and keep that home or upgrade when you retire. I can own NFA items with no state
    interest at all, CCW is easy, hangar rents on a nice airport are reasonable, generally they
    stay out of your business in most places here.

I do have to shovel snow a couple times a year, and dress warmly about 1/3 of the year,
    but so far that is OK by me. California is only for visiting, IMO, and fewer and fewer days
    are spent visiting each passing year.

Good memories of living on 29 Mile Drive, hiking in the foothills around Palomar,
    and in the Sierras, redwoods and Yosemite, shooting out in the desert, etc, etc. But that
    is in the past pretty much for me.
    Last edited by MtGun44; 03-09-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remembrance
    LOL Jaysouth, I reckon different folks have different goals, I would have left Cali riding my thumb, if that was all I could have managed, and that was back in the seventies. I would probably act like a wetback and risk everything crawling through the desert these days to escape Cali. lol

Banned

Only a liberal could somehow think this state is a disaster and will only devolve from here.

Love Life
    I miss California.

Banned

It misses you. You appreciate California with all its warts. If you live in the north, especially the northeast like Alturas it could be a great place.