Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Point .45 Review: The Pistol of Savings!

Boolit Man

Hi-Point .45 Review: The Pistol of Savings!

My thoughts on this particular pistol, let me know what you think!
    VIDEO

Moderator Emeritus

For someone who knows what they're getting into, and knows what to expect from those guns, they're not really "all that bad". They do seem to have an almost cult like following. It also seems like there are 2 distinct camps when it comes to Hi Point guns. You either love them, or hate them, with not too many in betweeners
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

I like my High Point 45 a couple of points weight wise it is not any heavier than a 1911 only issue is that all the weight in a Hi Point is in the slide where the 1911 the weight is distributed all over. An other thing you do not need to ship it back to the factory using a FFL since you own the gun and your shipping it in to be repaired. The company should either send you a shipping tag or give you a number to put on the package.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

So are they like a fat girl ... ok around the house, but not something you want to go showing off in town?

Boolit Master

I bought one for use on My gold dredge as a tool box gun..in case it fell in the river I wasnt out a Colt. I was surprised when I loaded it with mixed ammo and it ate everything I fed it and was a good shooter just a bulky one...
    They work and the guarantee is lifetime to any owner...

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Grand Master

Like Trey45 said. Allot of people cut them down but you don't by a Datsun and expect it to perform like a BMW. I had a couple and they weren't the best but performed well for the money and never had a jam. The earlier ones were very heavy and boxy uncomfortable.
    Aim small, miss small!

In Remebrance

I see nothing wrong with them other than esthetically. I never understood this desire some folks have to cut down inexpensive products simply because they aren't pretty or finely finished. I have good, high quality tools and I have Harbor Freight tools. They all work, some just are nicer to use than others.

Boolit Master

I have a C9 pistol and a 995 carbine (got both for $175) and have nothing but good things to say. I have run thousands of rounds through the pistol and it has never jammed. The carbine is getting put through its paces and appears to be right on track with the pistol. They certainly are big and nobody is going to oh and ah over it like they might a chromed out 1911 or Magnum Research, but I have been nothing but impressed with the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    So are they like a fat girl ... ok around the house, but not something you want to go showing off in town?
    I like that. That's pretty good.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Not the prettiest, not the most accurate, for the money they are a workhorse.
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Boolit Master
    What are the 45acp jhp pistols getting for group size ?????????????

bhn22
    Yet another Zombie thread...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    Yet another Zombie thread...
    ?????????

Not interested in their pistols, but I'm not really into auto pistols anyway, I like my revolvers.

The carbines on the other hand look like a hoot. Seen a few at the range and they sure seem like fun. I don't think I'd consider one a serious defensive weapon, but for blasting soda cans and such I think they'd be hard to beat.

A few years ago I made the mistake (at least I thought so at the time) of loaning one of my employees $100. As it turned out he couldn't come up with the money so he gave me a 995 carbine in 9mm to call it even. This was one of the butt ugly first generation carbines that he had outfitted with an ATI stock and Bushnell red dot. As far as rifles go, it's about as basic as you can get in design and function. Basic blowback at its very best. Assembly and disassembly are an engineering nightmare and will tax anyone's patience. The early magazines either worked or where pure junk. Not even worth the time or effort to make them feed reliably. With all that said, it will shoot anything you can feed it, is reasonable accurate, it's tough as a two dollar steak and is just plain fun to kill soda cans with at 50 yards. When you really get down to it, it does exactly what my other firearms do, some costing 20 to 30 times more....it puts a boolit down the barrel and hits what it's aimed at.

Boolit Master
    Yea they have a love or hate following, many really pile on when you say hi point. But its odd they continue to sell like crazy, its often difficult to order a carbine due to the demand on them.

I guess some are decent guns others not so much, not from a functional standpoint, they all seem to work. But accuracy. I was hanging out with a friend at the range he works at, hes a hater, wont even shoot my carbine. Guy came in asking about his '45'. He had a target, none were even close to the middle, they were everywhere. Hipoint pistol, just luck of the draw he got a bad one. My friends advice was to use it as an anchor, I did point out they arent very good at that since an anchor needs to be heavier.

Hey, I bought one this morning. A JHP .45ACP. I've not shot it yet though. Looks good and it is HEAVY! But I kinda like the looks of it. Looks real beasty.

Boolit Grand Master

Heavy, bulky and fits my hand fantastic. Shoots everything. I love the pebble finish on it. I have a couple and they are a ton of fun.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I did shoot a 9mm highpoint and it appears all the comments apply. I will not own one because I can afford a sleeker weapon. If someone just needs a handgun for a handgun and is cash strapped, it appears this is the ticket. If down the road, you find yourself in a position to upgrade, you probably will. Its cheaper to make a gun with a unlocked breech but it either involves a heavy bolt (submachine guns) or in this case a heavy slide.

I shot it Yesterday afternoon, and it shot good. I was shooting handloads with 230 gr. cast. It fed them great but, I wonder about wide nose flat points or wide mouth hollow points.

Boolit Master
    I shot and impressed. It seems to be quite durable. It was fun to shoot.

There are lots of owners who love their Hi Point and can certainly their feelings. It was a big surprise.