RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky

Thread: New Winchester 1873 Short Rifle 357 Magnum. Opinions?

New Winchester 1873 Short Rifle 357 Magnum. Opinions?

I have one ordered, so im comitted. Any body have any hands on experance with one, accuracy with cast bullets? TIA Paul S

Banned

I have only read good things. Wish I had one on order, good for you. Please update when you get it/shoot it.

Boolit Grand Master

Hardly ever read a bad review these days but have high hopes for this little rifle. Looking forward to your reports.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I received mine last Nov. I ordered it in April. Quality, fit and finish is nothing short of superb. My mid '90s '92 Rossi 45 colt (which I also like) is not in the same league.Mine won't feed 358429 crimped in the groove-too long, won't feed the Lee 358-158 fp in 38 special cases(too short). I have placed a Marble Improved receiver sight on mine and it shoots as well as I can see.I have settled on a regular every day load of Lee 358-158 fp over 7gr AA#5 in 357 case sized .358 for 1250ish fps. My "hunting" load will be 13gr LiL Gun and the 358429 crimped on the front driving band- 1.610" oal. which feeds fine. It runs around 1700fps and I have installed an aluminum plain base gascheck that I got from Sage Outdoors on the boolit. I have shot mine several hundred times so far and I love it. I have been hoping someone else would get one so we could talk about our "kids"! Shoot Straight, T-Bird

Boolit Buddy
    I handled one at the lgs when they first came out. The fore end would slide between the frame and fore end cap. They didn't have any trouble selling it, but for the money I didn't want it.

Boolit Bub

Had mine for over a year. No problems. Fit and finish is excellent. I use Bullseye and Unique. I shoot 158 grain flat nose butters crimped in the crimp groove using 357 brass. 38 specials are fine if no shorter then 1.445. Accurate and loads of fun.

Boolit Master

I did put 2 coats of boiled linseed on the stock, just made it look more "finished" will put a couple more when it warms up( takes a long time to dry). Shot mine today. T-Bird