RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midway Owner Ad and the American Rifleman

Banned

Midway Owner Ad and the American Rifleman

Anyone notice the latest Midway Ads where the owner is behind a reloading counter performing various tasks?

Well the latest shows him holding a full case tray of brass with one hand, under an RCBS powder measure and charging with his other hand.

Do any of you guys do this? ...

I always thought one of the reasons you use reloading trays is so you can take one (1) case from a tray, charge it or perform whatever step you are doing, and set it over in the next tray. Preferably on the oposit side of your measure, press, or whatever. That way you can safely keep track of what you are doing. At least separate small amounts of loads from one end of a single tray to the other end.

He's waving the whole darn thing under the measure like a cocktail waitress for cryin out loud.. . . . ...... . . .
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 04-01-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    Well, maybe he's got only one tray...

Actually, dumping powder like that (a whole tray at a time) is a GOOD way to make a really bad mistake. Pat, you are right as far as I'm concerned. Take one prepped case, charge it and visually inspect the charge, seat the boolit, place in the 'finished' tray or storage box.

I know someone who loads like that and he had at least three rounds with no powder at the match last month. And that's not the first time. I don't shoot near him for fear of a double charge. I, and several others, have counseled him on the error of his ways. After this last episode, I think he was listening. Driving stuck bullets from a barrel don't have to happen, especially when it's self induced!

Boolit Master
    Yep - I do it - sometimes.
    It depends on what I'm loading and for what purpose. Straight-sided pistol cases often get this treatment - especially if the powder charge fills a substantial portion of the case. (Makes it easier to spot a double charge.) The NEXT step is to set the loaded tray on the bench, and (using a flashlight) give a careful visual inspection to every case to verify the charge level.
    As long as you charge and inspect in an orderly and disciplined fashion there's no more chance for error than with any other method. I've been doing it this way for many years and many thousands of rounds without mishap.
    Uncle R.

I do load pistol cases like this when I'm dropping a single charge weight for the entire tray. It allows for a consistent dump when you can go at a steady pace. When the tray is full, it gets set under a strong light source and each case is inspected looking for double or no-charge conditions. This gets done twice over. As I seldom if ever use really fast pistol powders, any variance is large and very evident. Been doing this for 25 years and have never mucked things up. I've never had a double charge and only a couple times failed to charge cases. When I don't charge a case, it's a whole row that will get missed. A third inspection gets done as the bullet is set in the case mouth.

That's how I do all my handgun rounds. 44,454,460,500 etc. I made a mistake one time about 7 years ago. Needless to say I visually inspect the whole tray under good light now. One time I got 454 speed out of a 44. Not enjoyable at all.
    Are you mormon? no. Are you catholic? no. Do you know what causes it? yes. and we like it.

Banned

I do that quite a bit.

Of course I use powder charges that if I double charge the powder is overflowing the case....

Boolit Buddy
    Hell no.

Empties in a bowl (makes it obvious that they don't have powder in them), charged cases in a tray - the path of motion does not cross.

Well, I don't and I won't.
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

I've done it with my RCBS Little Dandy Pistol Measure for light loads when my bench measures held a different powder, and I needed more than a few rounds.

Of course, this type of measure can be held in the left hand, and moved from one case to the next, the right hand turning the knob, and the loading block lying on the bench. It's much faster than bringing the cases under a measure, and I ALWAYS check after with a flashlight.

Morgan

Boolit Master

I drop powder in all the cases in the tray in one operation. Then I inspect the charged cases before finishing the loading. I feel I get a more consistant drop of the powder in the cases if I do them all as part of one operation. In over 50 years, I have had no double charges. To each his own, just be safe.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Primed cases are either MOUTH DOWN in a block or higgledy piggledy in a bin. Cases go one at a time to the measure, then to the block. When all cases are charged they are flashlight checked for level before seating. Also, I once double charged a case, and caught it in the flashlight check. Since then ALL scale check charges are dropped on the scale pan and returned to the measure without exception. That way there is no deviation from the rhythm of charging.

I imagine Potterfield is "loading" with simulated powder, a very effective way to avoid spills and double charges.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Mold
    I saw the ad also. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!! My 23 yr. old son was watching the same ad & said " That damn fool is gonna screw up a good gun one of these days" I guess he HAS been paying attention all these years!

Boolit Master

Yes, almost always. I don't with black powder as that is drop tubed and the cases are really full and will have to be compressed. When I load white, I load a whole tray at a time. THEN, I look down in each case to check powder level. I should also note that I look down in each case to make sure it's primed too. I only put the right amount of primers in the tubes and they better match count when I'm done priming.

NOTE: EVERYTHING I LOAD CANNOT BE DOUBLE CHARGED. All are full and near max loads. I mainly look to make sure their was not a powder hang up and one is higher or lower. I load very little white powder. Mostly in varmint cals.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

What's the problem? That's the way I've done it for years. Charge all the cases in the tray, then look down in them under a light. It's easy to see a double charge or a no charge.

My and the owner's way is better than your way, and redheads are better, too. So there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT ARTHUR View Post
    I saw the ad also. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!! My 23 yr. old son was watching the same ad & said " That damn fool is gonna screw up a good gun one of these days" I guess he HAS been paying attention all these years!
    That was my reaction and point also.

I don't think it's good basic operating procedure for reloaders. Now you other guys, who have been reloading for ions and are fully versed in the possible dangers, choosing your method of double checking is fine, since it seems to have worked for you so far.

BUT- I think Midway is negligent and irresponsible for publishing that. Could also very well set themselves up for a lawsuit.

I take the primed brass from the container--bowl cup or whatever---charge it and place it on the reloading tray. In Potterfields case,maybe he is keeping one hand free to pick your pocket with?

Boolit Master

I did that way once. But upon inspection I noticed that one case in the middle of the tray had no powder and another right next to it had more than the rest. Nuff said, that was the last time I used that techique.

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Take one prepped case, charge it and visually inspect the charge, seat the boolit, place in the 'finished' tray or storage box.
    I have been thinkin' I was the only one who did this.
    Seems the way to go to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    I take the primed brass from the container--bowl cup or whatever---charge it and place it on the reloading tray. In Potterfields case,maybe he is keeping one hand free to pick your pocket with?
    Ya- RayCarpetmen,

I am getting a little annoyed with Potter's pocket picking and shipping charges. In fact, I have ceased all business dealings...

I "rough charge" all my cases by that exact method.

HOWEVER, all those charges will be dumped into a scale pan and trickled
    to the EXACT desired weight before I sit a bullet (inverted) in the case mouth.

the bullet is set "upright" only before the case goes into the seating die.

The more times you can do a simple movement rather than a series of
    sequential movements the more efficiently you can load.

So you divide the job into portions.

Mind you this is only done for rifle ammo.
    Pistol ammo is churned out at several hundred
    rounds per hour on my progressive.

AD