Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humbling experience casting yesterday

Humbling experience casting yesterday

Hi there, I'm still relativelynew to casting but I've done tons of reading and lurking here on the forum. So far I've been learning on lee 2-cav molds. Results have been ok considering I'm still in the learning process. It takes me a while to dial in my timing/mold temp etc, but once I get going I've made some usable boolits. So For my birthday I bought myself a lee 6-cav for my 45acp (I know I'm a big spender) that I've been shooting much more. It seemed like I just couldn't get dialed in. I was running the lead a little hot to keep the mold up to temp since I wasn't getting filled in lube grooves. Then by the time I was getting nice fill the boolits were really frosted. Frustrated I slowly brought the temp lower slowly and FINALLY thought I got to were they were filling out good enough and coming out relatively smooth and shiny. Then snap... the cam lever for the sprue plate broke off. I never forced it or felt heavy resistance, and I did follow the directions given with the molds. After all the effort I ended up with maybe 10 serviceable boolits, though they are far from examples of fine casting skills haha. I just shook my head in disbelief, and turned off the pot and called it a day. I had my other molds at the ready, but I just didnt have the clear head to fire them up. Sigh... I've got a lot of learning to do. I know a couple areas where i could have improved. For one I probably needed some tin in the alloy, which was COWW mix with a little range scrap in there. I think this may have helped with the fill out at lower temps? I just had to tell someone who cared. My lady stopped listening at "You stupid sprue plate... *%$$@&"

-Sam

Boolit Buddy
    As long as the weight is good, I wouldn't worry about frosting. Of course my only six cavity mold is still waiting for my back ordered handles to arrive so I can't really give advice, only sympathy!

Boolit Grand Master
    ThatFishGuy

Did you start out by filling all 6 cavities on each fill ?

Thanks Mike

Ben- I started pouring at the most forward cavity and pushed the mold forward until I had filled all cavities. I let the melt puddle on top of each cavity so at the end result was one big sprue, per the instructions (as I understood them). Is that what you were asking?

Boolit Master
    Something to look for on Lee molds
    I have seen this on a few of mine. The cam lever will become loose after a number of uses. It can get loose enough that it has enough angle that you are putting too much pressure on the lever ... Then snap. I have broken more than my fair share of levers..
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master
    ThatFishGuy

The problem with that technique is the sprue plate and mold are still relatively cool. Filling all 6 holes ( on a cold mold start up ) and then trying to cut the sprue ( all 6 of them ) will often times snap the caming lever ( as you've obviously found out).

A safer start up is to bring up the mold to proper casting temperature is to pour the front 2 cavities, 10 times.
    Then the next 2 ( for a total of 4 cavities ) 10 times, then you can pour all 6 at one time.

The chances of breaking the caming lever with the above system is greatly reduced. Although the caming lever can snap at any time on these 6 cavity molds. There are replacement levers made of a higher quality steel for sale here on the forum.

Ben

Maybe that's what happened Blanco, because I did feel a slight wiggle in the handle before it snapped. Maybe I just didnt notice it had come loose. I know it wasnt loose when I started, but after that I was just trying to focus on other things.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFishGuy View Post
    Maybe that's what happened Blanco, because I did feel a slight wiggle in the handle before it snapped. Maybe I just didnt notice it had come loose. I know it wasnt loose when I started, but after that I was just trying to focus on other things.
    A common problem with Lee 6cav. You have to preheat, I cast 2cavs, then 4cavs then all 6. I have broken 2 handles, so bought machined ones form RedRiver here. I still preheat, but I don't worry about snapping one off.
    Last edited by fredj338; 03-09-2015 at 03:45 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Thanks guys I appreciate that input. Warming up the mold that way 2 at a time makes sense after the fact, but I wouldn't have thought of it. I think will just track down an upgraded handle from the member here then, I don't really want to deal with the cast Lee ones. And I'll try the new preheat method next time, I'm sure it will help some.

Fred- Looks like the forum Member is actually Red River Rick, I just put in an order for a new cam lever, hopefully it doesn't take too long getting here from Canada... I'm ready for round two of Newbie vs 6-banger

Boolit Grand Master

I dip the mold in the melt and hold it there for about 30 seconds. Then I cast the first three or four on the far end, a couple of times, no problem after that as long as I keep the mold hot. I also put the 6 bangers on the stove or a hot plate until they are to hot to touch with the fingers and then go to casting. Have 6 or 7 of them and have only broken the release lever once when I let the mold get a little to cool. Good luck!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

1Shirt- I did dip the very corner of the mold in just for a few secs, and that's probably why the first couple cavities were casting the best boolits. I don't have a hot plate yet but I do rest them across the top of the pot for a min or two. They're definitely warm when I start pouring. Thanks everyone! Definitely some good ideas that will hopefully get me off the ground. On the up side- I had no issues with the bullets releasing from the mold, so that did make me happy.

I set all the ingots I intend to cast on an electric skillet and the mold on them. I plug that in and the pot and in 20 minutes it's ready to pour keepers.

With the 45 mold you want to cut the sprue as soon as it hardens ime. Also you want the sprue plate set a specific way, and the lee won't let you lock in that adjustment. On my lee molds I add a set screw to the sprue screw. Also you didn't mention cleaning the mold prior to casting, with a lee that usually means your going to remelt 300 boolits due to improper fill out. You must remove the oil.

You might want to post where your from. You might be able to find a more experienced caster to help show you the fine details of how to cast good bullets in high production. That 6cav should net you 1k in about 4hrs. Maybe more when you get good.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I tried to cut the sprue as soon as the puddle "hazed over". I've seen people add the set screw, but I didn't feel that my sprue plate was coming loose. I did do some cleaning the day before, I used dawn and warm water with a toothbrush to scrub out the oil residue, followed up with some 90% isopropyl (couldn't find my acetone). Im pretty sure the mold was oil free. Good point on the location though: I am in Southern California, specifically the city of orange. I did notice how much faster the 6 cav was compared to me 2 hole molds. I mean obviously its more boolits at once, but I emptied my 10lb pot in what seemed like 5 mins. I was pleasantly surprised at how many I was going to be able to get cast, until the cam snapped that is.

Boolit Master

TFG , I also broke my first 6 banger handle , sooner than you though , I now preheat & start with the 2 holes then 4 then all six & by that time I`m ready to turn the temp down a bit & get into a rythum.

One thing not mentioned is the oils will leach from the aluminum pores for a few heat cycles & cause greif on fill out. I smoke mine a little with a butane liter(long snout 1) & by the time I get all the oils burnt out the pores the layer of soot is barely visible.

Another thing mentionable is to make sure ya have the handle in the full closed position, if moved to the open position just a tad it lessens the mechanical advantage enuff ya have to nearly break it to cut sprues.

I`ve all but abandoned my 123 cavitys for NOEs 5cavitys & lee six banger molds.

I see a 20# pot in your near future !!

+1 on Red River Ricks handles , I don`t own 1 but have used 1 on a lee mold , it feels much more gooder!

GP
    GP100man

Boolit Master
    That part usually breaks early on or you break the screw that holds it all to the mold, these parts are made of "scintered metal" (read "pot metal"), those 6 cavs. are a good design made from very flimsy materials.

Boolit Master

I preheat the mold on the hot plate and then turn it over and heat the sprue plate.
    I also fill the cavity closest to me first and then pull the mold out as I fill the cavities. On my set-up if you do it opposite, and over fill the first cavity the molten lead hits the mold guide, solidifies and you can not push the mold in for the rest of the cavities.

Boolit Buddy

Just my experience

The fastest way to break your sprue plate handle is to let your sprue puddle get over into the camming action on the side of the blocks. That negates the cam action of the handle and makes you use what I wold call a direct force on the handle and then they break.
    Just my opinion. Keep the sprue puddle in the middle of the sprue plate and you won't have any trouble.

Same thing happened to me as well. Lee sent me a replacement at no charge and I live in New Zealand. Their backup service is very good. Even so some thing you buy must be fit for purpose and a broken sprue plate shouldnt happen under normal use. I would have thought that Lee would remedy this defect.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master

Sam,

1. Get a $10 hot plate to preheat. The ones with a solid top are better IMO than the ones with a coil. I knocked the sharp tips off of a circular saw blade and set it on top of the coil on my hot plate.

2. Get some Bullshop Sprue Plate Lube and use it per his instructions. More is not better; just enough is perfect. He's here on CastBoolits. It allows you to open the sprue plate much sooner without smearing lead on the mold and sprue cutter. One little bottle will last many years. I bought two just in case I had a tragic spill.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris