Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Lever Action for a first?

Boolit Buddy

Which Lever Action for a first?

I have always wanted a Marlin. Looks like I may be able to budget one in this year, but I've heard things are not going too well with those of recent manufacture.
    Who makes the best lever action today?
    I mostly hunt deer, with a few hogs along the way. I was thinking 30-30, but am open to other suggestions.
    I am a hand loader and boolit caster.
    Thank you for an guidance offered.
    "He who walks with the wise grows wise,
    but a companion of fools suffers harm."
    Proverbs 13:20

Banned

Depends on what the application is for the "best." I would say that the Winchesters are the best current production for what you are doing. But they cost a bundle. If I were going to get a current production .30-30, I would get the Mossberg 464, in fact I intend to.

Can't beat a Browning BLR lever action. .308 would handle your needs.

Look for an older Marlin 336 in .30-30. The guns are nearly indestructable and can be had for $300 or less. You can scope one if that is your desire and the .30-30 is a fine cast bullet cartridge that is easy to reload and ecconomical with powder. There are more powerful cartridges but a 176 grain bullet at 2200 fps will drop anything on this continent.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the older Marlin 336's. IMO the pre-crossbolt safety rifles will always be more desirable and will have more upside. Still lots of them out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    [...] I was thinking 30-30, but am open to other suggestions.
    If you were interested in a different chambering, do you think you might have an inclination / preference?
    The reason I ask is that I seem to have accumulated 5 different lever action rifles, but none of them are chambered in 30-30 as I think there are many 'better' choices, albeit none of which has had the longevity of the 30-30 in the classic levers.
    • .44 Mag
    • .444 Marlin
    • .284 Win
    • .308 Win
    • .356 Win
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-02-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

My first lever gun was a 1950s Winchester 94 in 30-30. The 30-30 is still or was the hands down #1 deer cartridge in the US, it has taken more deer by a hefty margin than any other cartridge we have.

I would vote for an older Winchester in 30-30 for a first levergun were it me. .308 is my favorite rifle cartridge, but the romance is THERE in SPADES with the old Winchester. Something about them. Magnetic attraction when you own and hold and shoot them will bite and bite hard!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I will add my vote for an older Marlin 30-30, though around here finding one for $300 or less would be fairly difficult. I bought mine new but it is old now and still about my favorite rifle.

BTW,the April issue of Guns and Ammo has an article on the reintroduced Marlin 1894. The article details some of the difficulties that Remington had with bringing the gun back out. Apparently the acquired Marlin machinery was worn out. MSRP is $729 should the buyer be in the happy state of money is no object. The article also stated that the .357 1894 and the Cowboy models will also be coming out in the future.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Master
    I say look for a pre-safety win 94 or marlin 336 both are good rifles .30 wcf will take deer and hogs all day long.

Banned
    winchester or marlin in 38-55

Boolit Master
    Find an old pre-cross bolt safety Marlin in 30-30 and be done with it. The fit finish and accuracy of these older Marlins is beyond reproach. And there are millions of them so the price is usually only a few hundred dollars. And most will be in good to great condition. Within the few local gun shops around here, there must be over 30 available ap prices from $200 up to just shy or $500.

If you like Winchester because they are smaller a feel easier to carry, etc.....look for a Pre 1978 in the post 1964 versions ...or go all out and look for a Pre-64 version. The current Japan manufactured rifles are VERY nice...but pricey. The best buy is a 1964-1978 model 94...these will have milled parts and much smoother actions and can be had real inexpensive. I've seen them going for as little as $200 often.

30-30 will be by far the easiest cartridge chambering to find....and a GREAT cartridge for deer and hogs and smaller bears.......

But be aware...You buy one and they multiply!!! Leveritis is a near fatal disease! (Your wife will want to kill you!)
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Get an older 336 in 30-30.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy
    OK. I'm going after an older Marlin 336, 30-30. The lack of a safety is the indicator that I have the desired model?
    "He who walks with the wise grows wise,
    but a companion of fools suffers harm."
    Proverbs 13:20

Yes, lack of the cross bolt safety is what you want.
    Makes the gun pre-1983, the year the cross bolt safety was added on Marlin rifles.

And I agree you usually can't stop with one lever gun.

.30-30 is a standard cartridge that has stood the test of time so have no fear - but if you stumble into a good deal on any other presafety Marlin in another cartridge (44 mag, 357 mag, 45-70, 38-55) have no fear - snap it up.
    Last edited by Artful; 03-02-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    Depends on the cartridge one wants. I have .357 handguns, so I chose a .357 rifle to keep things simple (don't hunt anymore). I got a Henry Big Boy in .357. What a gun. Heavy, rugged, made in USA. Ejects from the side, so can be scoped.

Boolit Bub
    I have a marlin 357 cowboy and a winchester 218 bee. When you are standing under that snow filled tree and it drops a snowball in your open top winchester action you will like your side ejection marlin much more.

Boolit Bub
    My next lever buy will be a marlin 45-70.

Boolit Master
    Even better than no safety is a Ballard rifled Marlin 336. However I don't they were not drilled and tapped for a scope. At least mine was not.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

The crossbolt safety is of no concern to me. I have them w/ and w/out them. There are different models of the 336. The older 336W comes w/ nicer wood w/ wraparound checkering. Prices range for $300-$500 around here. I picked up a mint 336W for $380. It has a crossbolt safety which made it the ideal candidate to bore out to 356 Winchester. There is some advantages to the safety models and price is one of them

Boolit Buddy
    If you can find one in 35 Remington grab it.

Boolit Master
    Maybe you should consider a used Savage 99. "considered by many as a no nonsense get down too business gun." I have all three here. Marlin 36 30-30 a couple pre-94s in 30-30 & 32 Sp and a few Sav 300s in rifle, carbine & TD versions. I always choose the old 300 to accompany me in the woods over the others. 300 it's just a outright more powerful cartridge for hunting Big Game with than my others are. Kick's a whole lot easier than those model 94s do too. If your into casting. There is no limits on boolit profiles concerning the Savage Lever. SP_HP_RN_ FP_ whatever can all be used in its magazine. Now to answer your question.

Who makes the best lever action today?
    Nobody!!