RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data

Thread: Does anyone?

Boolit Mold

Does anyone?

Does anyone crimp in the crimp groove of the Lyman 358429 for your revolver and or a 357 caliber rifle ?

I know this has been discussed at length & most recommend crimping over the front driving band. Also know that crimping in the crimp groove on 38 special is the norm ( at least I think I know ).

Back to the original question : who does crimp this bullet for any application in th crimp groove? If so do you mind sharing your load recipe ?

Thanks John

Boolit Grand Master
    In my Colt Pythons, I have to crimp over the shoulder, as I do for my Model 28. My Model 66 can take a longer OAL, but truth to tell, I gave up on that boolit many years ago for handguns and these days the only use I have for it is as a light weight plinker in my .348, where I do crimp in the crimp groove and load it over 13 grains of Red Dot.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    I asked this question a while back and decided that I would work up a load with the case crimped on the crimp groove using H110, since my GP100 will accommodate the long OAL. I started working up a load starting at 14.5 gr H110, and worked up to about 15.2 grains with no pressure signs. I'm waiting for it to get warmer before I go further. The Lyman book gives data for using the crimp groove in the T/C section, which happens to have the same start and max, for some reason. There was a member who posted within the past several months that he uses a load of around 16.5ish grains H110 when crimped in the crimp groove, but I can't find it.

If you aren't trying to squeeze every but of velocity out of the cartridge then I don't see much reason to use the crimp groove.

Boolit Master

Razor,

Some sixguns have a long enough cylinder to crimp in the groove, some don't. Back when I did the 357 I had Smith 686s and a Ruger Blackhawk. I crimped in the groove. Why not if it'll fit? More secure and looks better to my eye anyway.

Welcome to the forum. You too omphacite.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    I use the crimp groove in my GP100 6". I believe the overall length is 1.635". I have outstanding accuracy using 6.5 gr Unique for 1050 fps. I don't load this bullet for hunting, just target and bowling pin shoots.

bhn22
    I always use the crimping groove wherever possible. I do have several versions of this mould, and have always crimped it in the groove, including my super early 358439 with the original full length nose. If I have a revolver with a short cylinder, like a J frame or Python, it lives on the Keith bullet in 38 Spl brass with 38-44 loads. FWIW, I also load 358156 in 357 crimped into the lower crimp groove, and the loads adjusted slightly upwards with certain powders.

Boolit Grand Master

I crimp in my Blackhawk, and my 94 Win, and they work well. Will not work in my colt, and have to crimp over the shoulder.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

My GP100 is too short to use this bullet in .357 when crimped in the crimp groove, but my Blackhawk is longer and it works fine. I don't use that bullet in my GP100 any more, and use the 358477 or other SWCs in the 150-160 gr range in it. Why not stretch it out if the gun can take the length? I have tried 2400 and 4227 with the -429 in .357.

Boolit Grand Master
    How about the 358429 seated out to the crimping groove in a 38 Special case? Isn't that the way Keith originally used it when the bullet was first designed? I'm thinking it was for a large frame S&W like the 38 HD and would be just as appropriate in a 686 or other L-frame. If I could get a tested H-110/296 load for that, I could run with it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I use the crimp groove on that boolit over 5 gr of red dot in my blackhawks. it just looks right to me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    I use the crimp groove on that boolit over 5 gr of red dot in my blackhawks. it just looks right to me.
    Is this with a 38 SPL case or 357 Mag? I just came up with a bunch of Red Dot that I've been wonder how I could use. How "warm" is this load? For the 686, I'd like more than just the 38 midrange loads I'm building for my K-38.

Froggie

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Is this with a 38 SPL case or 357 Mag? I just came up with a bunch of Red Dot that I've been wonder how I could use. How "warm" is this load? For the 686, I'd like more than just the 38 midrange loads I'm building for my K-38.

Froggie
    If it's in 38 Spl cases, the pressures are off the charts. The 173 Keith is 38 Spl tops out around 4 grains.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, I thought that sounded pretty extreme. I remember reading Skeeter's suggestion of loading 38 Spl brass with the 357156 bullet (158 gr+/-) seated out long to produce a "short cased 357," but I'm in strange territory with this 170 gr bullet.

Froggie

bhn22
    For some reason, +P loading data for the 173 Keith is pretty rare in 38 Spl. You can look at 38-44 data, which is loaded in 38 Spl cases to 357 mag velocities. Search for "38-44" in the Google search bar near the top of the page. 38-44 loads always provoke a lot of discussion 'round here.

Attachment 132283

I use the crimp groove on that bullet in my Ruger blackhawk in 38 & 357 loads but the 357 will not chamber in the SP101.Hope this helps.
    ​Je suis Charlie