MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy opened powder?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Local pawn shop has around 10 1 lb bottles of opened powder pistol/shotgun and rifle, all felt mostly full, $8 each. No cans, all plastic bottles. None smelled off or had any other signs of deterioration.
    I think if you have to ask you should probably not go for it. I have bought opened powder from yard sales and gun shows and used them. They were what was marked but I could not be sure at the time of purchase. I checked for potential mixture or mismarking only after I bought them, knew that I might have to throw them out but it worked out.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I think if you have to ask you should probably not go for it. I have bought opened powder from yard sales and gun shows and used them. They were what was marked but I could not be sure at the time of purchase. I checked for potential mixture or mismarking only after I bought them, knew that I might have to throw them out but it worked out.

Tim
    I've already made my decision, just want to see what others would have done. I'll post what I did when the posts slow down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Sure. Trust, but verify, as Reagan said.

Pour out a significant sample of each, examine for mixed powders, then
    check to see if it looks to be correct (ball powder in a Unique can is NOT correct,
    for example) and then start way low and see how it performs.

At $8 a can, if mostly full, I'd buy them all.

"could end your life" - Really?? that is ridiculous. Not rocket science, requires
    a bit of adult thinking, but so does running a chain saw.
    Right on. Listen to this guy. If you dont feel comfortable confirming the contents match the container, then dont use it.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Le Loup Solitaire
    No! its a risky deal that could end badly. Someone could have mixed powders and the result could be catastrophic. Or the powder might not be still good or at least as good as it should be. Playing in the game of unknowns has never been a wise decision....a poor place to gamble so No Thanks. LLS

Perma-Banned
    only if I knew & trusted the person that opened it.

Boolit Buddy
    ^"only if I knew & trusted the person that opened it"

Horace

Boolit Master

Only if the pawn broker were a trusted friend. In my case, that is exactly what I have and he is also my crack......er.......gun dealer!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    no. heck no. holy $#@% NO.

did i say no.

Boolit Master
    Not me. Not that trusting.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Moderator Emeritus

If I knew him well and he knew the customer it came from yes. otherwise? No way no how no thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I just always assumed that was a "heck no" common sense deal.

Boolit Master

I can't believe anyone would actually tell you this is ok! There is NO WAY you can 100% identify that powder no matter who says they can and the consequences of taking a chance on it could be devastating, and for what? Saving a few bucks! To add to what one reply that so aptly put it, looks as if Mr Darwin may have a job to do soon!

Would you shoot discarded reloads found at the range? Why would someone throw them away? Why is that powder at a pawn shop? Most likely someone just pawned it for the money BUT anything could have been the reason for doing so and anything could have happened after it arrived there such as "balancing the contents" as has already been mentioned. Or possibly they became mixed due to a mistake and the person who owned them was afraid to use them? Anyone who thinks that there are not people who would pawn or otherwise sell rather than discard accidentally mixed or otherwise compromised powders before tossing them is living in a fantasy world!

To those who think this is a good deal, well you may be right after all it's only eyes, fingers and maybe a life or two that's at risk here and 40 or 50 bucks is always worth that right?

Boolit Master

i dont care who knows or trusts who, an open can of powder......not only no , but HELLLLLL NO!!!!!!!! maybe i value my eye's, hands, life more than others, but opened powder and shooting other peoples reloads is about as safe as unprotected sex with a thailand hooker.

Boolit Master

Fella's we're taught that there's only ONE container on the loading bench at a time; why do you suppose that is the unwritten rule? In my way of thinking, the downside to buying this powder is miles ahead of the upside.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    I just don't trust people all that much..They could be stupid and drunk, or they could be evil.Either way.. I won't risk it to save a few bucks..
    I never came back to a drink I left at a bar either. Paranoid..maybe.. But I am still alive..

My X brother in Law gave me a 3lb can of 296.. He later told me he had some power in a hopper and he forgot whether it was 296 or 748..
    Well I still got that can of 296 and it has been over twenty years..
    For some reason it didn't give me much confidence in using the powder.
    He was a very deceitful dude as well..
    You still have that 20 year old can of questionable powder. Now everyone knows you are a sensible reloader and would never mix or mismatch powder but what happens to that questionable can you would never use after you pass? Maybe someone sells it to a pawn shop and says "The guy it came from was a very careful reloader."
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Probably not. I like my hands just they way they are.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    You still have that 20 year old can of questionable powder. Now everyone knows you are a sensible reloader and would never mix or mismatch powder but what happens to that questionable can you would never use after you pass? Maybe someone sells it to a pawn shop and says "The guy it came from was a very careful reloader."
    Good question..and in that respect I will pour it out ..Not sure why I kept it..my bad..
    Last edited by Clay M; 02-21-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    in that respect I will pore it out ...

Pour it wisely! I kept seeing posts telling people to pour it on the lawn as fertilizer or in the flower bed, etc so I tried it and that stuff is as good as Miracle Grow!

Boolit Grand Master

I have bought repackaged powders in the past, it was surpluss bulk and was in klkarge containers being sold off at decent prices. But in those cases the original bulk container was there and the repackaging relabeling was done infrotnt of the buyers. Not knowing the person who repackaged it or the pawn shops personel would cause me to back away. While the owner may be trust worthy are his workers? DId one of them decide to "even things out for simplicity or mix with out him knowing or being informed? Is the shop owner also a reloader and understand the nuances of repackaging powders? Proper repackaging includes manufacturer, Powder designation, Lot numbers, date of purchase, hopefully wherre it came from ( calibers pulled from or used in, or a designation of such). With out the above your really working in the dark. I only repackage from 8lb or larger into 1 lb bottles that fit my measure these are labled with the above Powder designation, lot number, date of purchase, and such. A "good Buy" on powder that injures. destroys, or damages a expensive firearm isnt such a good buy in the long run.

Boolit Master

I recently bought a couple of opened cans of 700X, but it's pretty easy to identify. I've also used lots of old H4831 that was packaged in old coffee cans, but I was darn sure of what it was first as well.

Everything we do has risk. The level of risk can be controlled by knowing what you're doing. I have a friend who won't use any brass that he didn't either fire himself new, or buy new. To many "what if"s, too much risk for him. To each their own, but I'm not that paranoid.

Some won't shoot lead in Glock barrels, decap live primers, tumble live ammo, etc... No, no, no, You'll shoot your eye out!!!

Of course the risk can be minimized by having the experience and understanding to do it right and know what not to do. We all choose what level of risk we're comfortable with. To each their own. Funny, I've noticed that several very knowlegable, experienced guys have posted to this thread that they would buy and use opened powder (carefully), where others have said that that's idiotic and borderline suicidal. Whatever. To each their own.