WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with new CH4D 101 dies

Problem with new CH4D 101 dies

Just got my 40 cal 101 swage dies in and immediatly ran into a major problem. I followed the instructions to set up the die. Locked down the die in the press and started to seat my first core. Heard a weird noise. Ejected to first core and measured, still needed a little bit more to be swaged to proper diameter.

So I took the die out to try and figure out what that weird noise was. I grabbed my wrench and started to loosen the lock nut, but it was pretty rough and gritty. Then I noticed little metal shards. Somehow the threads on the die broke. I dont know why how how. But it's enough for me to be an unhappy camper.

I then proceeded to try the point forming die. Again, set up the die acording the the instruction sheet that came in the box. Made a nice hollow point bullet. But no threads were broken on this die.

Does anybody have any clue as to why a few threads snapped on he core seating die? Using pure soft lead to swage with, not wheel weight lead. Also, is there anything I can do to make this die usable or am I out $258?

Boolit Buddy
    Contact CH4D they will swap it out for you

Contacted them. They said Dave will call me when he gets in. Sucks, I really wanted to make up some bullets today.

Frosted Boolits

Makes you wonder if any of the internals are heat treated. I am pretty sure there is a thread on this somewhere in here lol. When I get time I will try to dig it up.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Are you implying that the threads are not heat treated? That would be silly, but not impossible.

Frosted Boolits

Yes. Hopefully I am wrong or he may have A LOT of dies to fix.

Here is a thread of interest: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...om-9mm-intrest

the BB knows

Wow. I ready maybe the first 7 posts on that thread. Makes me wonder if I made the wrong choice on getting these dies.

Soft steel threads wouldn't fail like that. Not on a reloading press anyway. Maybe if you were using a hydraulic press. If anything, it sounds like the metal wasn't tempered after heat treating and is brittle. Still, the force needed would be immense and I don't think a reloading press could do it.

I would take some closeup pictures and email it to them. Oh, I would also measure the major and minor diameters and make sure both are in range.

p.s. Is there a swage die manufacturer that doesn't take their potential customer for granted by making them wait over a year? Just asking rhetorically...

Just got off the phone with Dave at CH4D. I explained in detail everything I did before and after. Also explained how I used the point form die with the hollow point punch with no problems. The bullet looks nice except it's just a little undersized since I didnt get to swage the core to final diameter before the threads broke. Dave was very surprised to hear what happened to the threads and asked me to send the core seat die back to him. I hope they take care of me.

Frosted Boolits

It's not that they are taking advantage of their customers, it is just that good swage dies take time. You know this and so do I. If the die in question were tested it most likely would not have passed QC.

I would also measure the major and minor diameters and make sure both are in range.
    This is a good start. Can this be measured with calipers or do you HAVE to have a screw thread mic?
    Last edited by IllinoisCoyoteHunter; 02-09-2015 at 05:25 PM.

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy
    I've been exchanging emails with Dave today (first I noticed that these are available) and it sounds like the only thing left soft is the punch to basically preserve the die if you screw up. I only own a few CH4D products but from what I've experienced they have excellent customer service.

Boolit Buddy

Wow, jumped onto the thread before even contacting the manufacturer..... Weird decision.

Quote Originally Posted by newcastter View Post
    Wow, jumped onto the thread before even contacting the manufacturer..... Weird decision.
    And, what's the big deal? I see post after post of people doing the same thing. Not only on this site, but two other sites I belong to. Also, talking to them on the phone did no good for me as to what caused the threads to break on a new die. Pretty much all I got was "Send it in." I started this thread mainly to see if somebody could offer some suggestions as to what caused the problem.
    ETA: also posted here first because there are WAY more people on this site than CH4D has in their building. And some of the people on this board could possibly give me an idea as to what caused the problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by newcastter View Post
    Actually post#2 said to contact the mfg. OP stated in post#3 that he already had. OP was probably just trying to find some consolation until mfg contacted back, not trying to de-fame mfg.

Andy sorry you posted while I was typing.

CC

Frosted Boolits

It is no different than someone having a problem with any other piece of reloading equipment. This is a place for questions and learning. Possible solutions are put forth by our EXTREMELY knowledgeable members.

I don't think it is a weird decision. My last step is to call the manufacturer, as I try to fix most problems on my own.

the BB knows

Customcutter and Illinois, thank you. And Illinois, calling the manufacturer is normally my last step if I cant fix something on my own. But in this case, I cant fix broken threads. So I posted on here to find reasons why they broke, from people with more knowledge than me. So to everybody that replied with USEFUL information, thank you.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by andyt53 View Post
    And, what's the big deal? I see post after post of people doing the same thing. Not only on this site, but two other sites I belong to. Also, talking to them on the phone did no good for me as to what caused the threads to break on a new die. Pretty much all I got was "Send it in." I started this thread mainly to see if somebody could offer some suggestions as to what caused the problem.
    ETA: also posted here first because there are WAY more people on this site than CH4D has in their building. And some of the people on this board could possibly give me an idea as to what caused the problem.
    Ah, ok understand from that prospective. Didn't see any post stating it was a big deal though. I also understand how they can't explain to you where the breakdown occurred until they inspect the faulty die. Hence the "Send It In". Well I am waiting on 3 sets so let us know what they say about in case there is another issue.
    Thanks
    Ben

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post

I don't think it is a weird decision. My last step is to call the manufacturer, as I try to fix most problems on my own.
    That's probably not good advice as that normally voids any manufactures warrenty. But thanks for your input.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by customcutter View Post
    Actually post#2 said to contact the mfg. OP stated in post#3 that he already had. OP was probably just trying to find some consolation until mfg contacted back, not trying to de-fame mfg.

Andy sorry you posted while I was typing.

CC
    I can read pretty well but thanks for sharing. Actually the OP agreed that he posted here first before calling the manufacture and that was his normal practice. But I understand where he was coming from now that HE explained it. Thanks for jumping to his defense though. Just thought it was odd fella.

Newcastter, I will update this thread regarding what they find. Hopefully it's just this one particular die.