RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data

Thread: Carolina Bullet Ranch Dog 165gc?

Boolit Mold

Carolina Bullet Ranch Dog 165gc?

I am new to this site, have spent hours perusing past threads and have 1) learned a lot, and 2) learned that there is a whole lot more to learn. I do not yet cast, but have been trying to develop loads with commercial cast bullets. I have a new Marlin 336xlr in 30-30 with 24 inch barrel, 1x12 Ballard rifling. Will the 165gc Ranch Dog bullet fit my chamber and throat? I've tried the Missouri Bullet 165 Hi-tec coated bullets and found an accurate load using 16.2 grains of IMR4227 @ around 1600 fps. I would like to get closer to 2000 fps for 200 yard rams.
    BTW, I have not done any chamber/bore slugging, but trying the nose of the 165 MB in the muzzle, it drops into the lands, no tightness at all. Just thinking the Ranch Dog might be an improvement for the higher velocities.

IIRC MBC is 310, Carolina will do 311 and shot fine in my MG 20". I used LeverE or 4895.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Marlin throats differ from one extreme to the other. The 165 Ranch Dog may or may not fit your rifle. I have several 336's, all earlier than yours, and I only have one rifle that it fits well.
    Rick

Hey Icelander - welcome to the site!

It just so happens that I ran across a partial package of (.311) Carolina Cast Bullets 165gr GC(tumble lube groove style) while shuffling some things around on my bench the other day.
    I believe these were actually gifted to me by Popper when I was new to the board and trying to figure out what I needed, so I can't think of a more appropriate use for them!
    I can even throw in some of the NOE standard-lube-groove version for you to try as well, since I liked them well enough to get the mould.
    I've got a few other .30cal boolits profiles I could toss in for you to try as well if you're interested.
    Shoot me a PM with your address & I'll get some headed your direction.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for your generous offer. PM on its way.

Banned
    i don't cast yet either and i too have a lot to learn. i got 200 carolina ranch dog 165gr and i plan on shooting them out of my 30-40 krag. get them at .311" and have at her...you might want to try a lyman neck expander, it will help.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/409...-caliber-short

Boolit Master

Welcome to the board.

If you are reloading .311 bullets, call Lyman and get them to send you a 31R expander plug for your M die. Mine measures .3095 and is set to slightly bell the mouth to get the bullet started without shaving.

My Lyman 30R expander (which comes standard on the 30 long or short die) measures .3065 which is way too tight for A .311 bullet.
    Last edited by jaysouth; 02-09-2015 at 01:25 AM.