RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: You can't shoot that in a 1911

Boolit Grand Master

I'm wondering what they would do with the 9mm Kurtz, the 9mm Mak, the 9MM Largo.....
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I worked in a Wallyworld for a short time on 3rd shift. The sporting goods dept. was manned by who ever was available that night. Most night shift managers would try to put someone in there that had at least a passing knowledge of firearms and fishing. But some couldn't be bothered. Word got around that I knew something about guns and I would get called. But, again some never bothered. So you ended up with a lot of people with IQ's close to a dead flashlight battery were now gun experts. It is really scarey what some of them tell people. No one in their right mind should go to WM for gun advice. One last thing, a lot of the people that ended up in sporting goods knew they were over their heads but the managers wouldn't listen to them and so them just did the best they could.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    Stopped at Wally World tonight and saw they had some 45 acp lead round nose cartridges in the showcase. I pointed them out to the clerk and said I was surprised to see them. We got to talking and he said he had just recently bought a Rock Island 1911. When I asked if he had shot any of the lead round nose to save any money he said there was no way he was shooting them in his 1911. I asked if it was because of a leading problem. He told me leading wasn't the problem. The problem was that he had a 1911 pistol and 45 acp ammo was not designed to shoot in a 1911. Only cartridges marked 1911 would work. 45 acp would work fine in any other .45 acp pistol just not 1911's. I thought he was joking at first but it didn't take long to realize he was dead serious.
    All I have to say/think is WOW!!!
    DOGG!!!
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    I worked in a Wallyworld for a short time on 3rd shift. The sporting goods dept. was manned by who ever was available that night. Most night shift managers would try to put someone in there that had at least a passing knowledge of firearms and fishing. But some couldn't be bothered. Word got around that I knew something about guns and I would get called. But, again some never bothered. So you ended up with a lot of people with IQ's close to a dead flashlight battery were now gun experts. It is really scarey what some of them tell people. No one in their right mind should go to WM for gun advice. One last thing, a lot of the people that ended up in sporting goods knew they were over their heads but the managers wouldn't listen to them and so them just did the best they could.
    Ole Jack
    Interesting perspective, but I'd hope they're up front about there lack of knowledge. I for one would never think down on someone, even a store clerk for saying "I don't know". It's the one that make stuff up that drive me nuts.

Moderator Emeritus

No they are working AND receiving a welfare check

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    At least most of these folks are working, and not having their hand out for a welfare check.

Moderator Emeritus

I usually have it to myself too but one day I was there and a guy maybe 10 years younger than me was having problems with a 9mm Glock. It was FTF/FTE almost every other round. He saw I was shooting 9mm and asked if I could try some of his ammo in my pistol to make sure it worked. He was shooting steel cased surplus that was pretty old but it ran fine in my HiPoint(yes I own a Hipoint, quit snickering). I asked to see his pistol and he said he just got it, his friends had all bragged up how good these glocks were at the local gun store and so cheap... it was a police trade in and was badly worn to the point I would not even try it.

I had seen him there before with his glock buddies(bumper stickers, hats, t-shirts.... that type) and he was upset the pistol was bad when I told him to take it back before it blew up in his face. He started looking at my elcheapo I use for range fun and asked what I paid. $129... blank stare... how much? $129. He said he paid $500 for the used glock and his gun dealer told him HiPoints were total junk and were useless. I am over 1500 rounds now with no issues, cleaned the barrel once. I really should strip it down one of these years and clean it! Guy went off muttering saying he was getting his money back and going to talk to the guy I buy from, last time I saw him at the range he had picked up a nice used 1911 that was like new for the same money he paid for the beat up glock.

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I guess I'm just lucky or living right. The range I belong to is usually deserted during the week(I'm retired). The few that are there are well versed about guns, reloading, etc. But not casting. I have never seen anything close to the things mentioned here.

A nearby gunshop has a very good gunsmith by reputation. I don't know if he goes beyond repair, but the few things he has done for me have earned my trust.

The owner is very knowledgeable. The problem is he is unbearably overbearing at times. Catch him in a good mood and he will educate you. Another problem is his prices. The shop has some very good high end stuff but is priced even higher.

I think the guy at WM probably works in the groceries department and thought the ACP stood for assorted cereal products. He would not recommend putting ACP in a 1911 unless you are some sort of fruit loop.

Had a similar conversations about ammo marked "NATO" in 45acp . Guy standing next to me ask what the diff was. Clerk chimed in.And start to tell us all it was surplus ammo and we would probly like the other.Then I explained to him they were the same caliber and shell casing.I thought nato was just a little hotter than the other thats it. Like milspec?

Quote Originally Posted by waynem34 View Post
    Had a similar conversations about ammo marked "NATO" in 45acp . Guy standing next to me ask what the diff was. Clerk chimed in.And start to tell us all it was surplus ammo and we would probly like the other.Then I explained to him they were the same caliber and shell casing.I thought nato was just a little hotter than the other thats it. Like milspec?
    NATO marking just means it's loaded to the same specifications that the Military of several countries (NATO members) agreed upon. It's usually only found on Full Metal Jacket ammo that has the "normal" projectile weight - example in 45 ACP it would be found on 230 grain ammo loaded to at least 830 ft/s with 21,000 PSI maximum - the NATO cross in circle would not be found on 45 ACP +P (higher pressure load of SAAMI .45 ACP +P standard is 23,000 PSI), or .45 Super ammo with 28,500 PSI maximum pressure.

Now if we talk about 9x19mm NATO spec converts to 115 grain FMJ at 1300 FPS maximum pressure 35,001 psi.
    By comparison, Winchester USA 9mm 115 grain is loaded to achieve 1190 fps,
    Remington's version makes 1135 FPS.
    Sellier & Bellot 115 gr. FMJ goes 1279 FPS, much closer to NATO spec.

The SAAMI maximum pressure limit for the 9×19 mm Parabellum +P is set at 38,500 psi pressure,
    which will give 115 grain a velocity of 1350 fps.

9x19 +P+ isn't offically recognized by SAAMI but examples tested reached over 41,000 PSI pressure!
    Not many handguns were approved for such ammo by the makers. (look up 7N21 or 7H21 or Hirtenberger +P+ subgun ammo L7A1)
    Last edited by Artful; 01-30-2015 at 03:14 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Local Walmart lady tried to sell me 7.62x51 because it was brass cased and could be reloaded. Unlike the tula 7.62x39 I had asked for because of the steel case.

Another store has a manager that is a gun collector and reloader. He is also a friend. The other employees can really learn from him.
    Last edited by VintageRifle; 01-30-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why is anyone suprised?
    Are the kids at the supermarket former chefs?
    The kids at the drug store pharmacists?
    The kids at the car wash NASCAR drivers?

Do you ask a carpenter to rebuild your saw?

These people have a job. This doesn't make it their passion. They are working at a mass merchandiser and I can assure you they know little of the merchandise. Cops aren't gun experts either.

If anyone goes to the gun counter at Walmart and expects to find a person who is a gun nut and rally experienced then I ask this- which side of the counter has the fool?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

The problem as I see it, the person on the customer side of the counter, as several have pointed out, is as ignorant as the clerk. WM will stop selling ammunition and firearms when they lose a lawsuit because someone was killed or maimed because their clerk gave out bad information.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I guess I am lucky to have survived all the 452374's that have gone through mine.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

And we wonder how we end up with such idiots in Washington.....

Boolit Buddy
    Sales people are trained to stare you in the eye and lie to your face while appearing confident. Some of them begin to believe their own falsehoods.

I can't watch Morgan Freeman's "Through The Wormhole" anymore because he has that lying eye like he's trying to portray a quantum physicist.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Sales people are trained to stare you in the eye and lie to your face while appearing confident. Some of them begin to believe their own falsehoods.

I can't watch Morgan Freeman's "Through The Wormhole" anymore because he has that lying eye like he's trying to portray a quantum physicist.
    You really think a guy who started at minimum wage gets enough training to lie like that?

They aren't teamed to lie. They aren't traines to be experts, or even knowledgable on the goods. They are trained to put stuff on shelves, show people where stuff is, and ring stuff up.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    You really think a guy who started at minimum wage gets enough training to lie like that?
    He's got to step on somebody to earn that Ferrari and mansion someday in his delusions of grandeur.

Boolit Master

I think maybe this has gotten side-tracked a bit about the WM employees, I too was (am) guilty of having a bit of fun at their expense but I think it started with examples of comical exchanges and not that the typical employee at WM is dumb. Just looking back at all these examples and the thing is these are not a "spit-in-the-ocean" for covering all that's going on, that many people now buying ammo for THEIR guns that THEY intend to handle and shoot and they don't even know what ammo fits????? Does anyone else see the REAL problem developing here?

Boolit Master

I've got 2 WM near me , at one the ammo counter (no guns) is manned by the same people that work the craft department. If in a jam they call on of the tire changers over for advice. I don't even bother going there anymore.
    At the other store there is one employee that came right out and said he knew nothing about guns but would like to learn, Guess who's going to the range with me when the weather breaks?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Deadpool you've confused Joe Wallie with a car guy. I wouldn't trust a commission sales associate half as far as I can spit with a mouth full of marbles. The little 5 nothin' with a twang might trip me up but usually if I'm actually there to buy odds are good I know almost as much as trained staff about what I'm looking for as they do. I try to keep impulse buys under 30 bucks unless I've really looked hard at them or its an item that is scarce,like pounce now or look for another 6 months.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .