RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOLO Firearms Stolen 12/30/14

BOLO Firearms Stolen 12/30/14

I had the following stolen from my home on December 30th 2014

Springfield M1 Garand Serial 2425926 This rifle was glass bedded, and had the Smith Enterprise M1 Muzzle Brake installed, as well as the adjustable gas plug. allen wrench, ruptured case extractor and grease located in the butt stock.

Winchester Model 94 Serial 1445617. Nothing special about this rifle. Just a really good shooter.

I lost the gun safe too.. removed from the garage, after they couldn't get it open..
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    You might want to post this over on the CMP Forum. Lots of Garand people over there.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Grand Master

Hope they catch the scum bags!
    Charter Member #148

I'm sorry for your loss.

How heavy of a safe was it?
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Buddy
    I feel your pain 7of7. Make sure the the County Sheriff has all the info, and update your information anytime you move. My Colt Combat Commander was stolen in '86, one day in '08 I had a visit from the local PD, it had been recovered. It was finally returned to me after the trial in late '09, the wheels of justice turned slow. Bolt the new safe down!

Sorry to hear about this. Try posting it here http://www.hotgunz.com/

It only helps if someone actually checks a gun before they buy it but better than not having it on there.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master

Check the sheriffs office at least yearly to see if they are in evidence. They probably won't contact you. A friend has recovered some this way.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    happened to my brothers buddy down in Texas. they could not get the safe opened in the garage so they just threw it in the back of a pickup truck and drove away. It was a small gun safe and not bolted to the garage floor.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Our club is putting on their spring gun show here in Eugene, OR, Mar, 21 & 22. I'll put out an
    APB to all of our vendors about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    happened to my brothers buddy down in Texas. they could not get the safe opened in the garage so they just threw it in the back of a pickup truck and drove away. It was a small gun safe and not bolted to the garage floor.
    I was surprised when I was told by several gun safe dealers that only bolting the safe to the floor would not prevent the safe from being moved. They said the thieves could get pry bars under it and rock the safe out of the anchors. They recommended the safe also be attached in back to the wall to some beefed up studs.
    Last edited by Kent Fowler; 01-09-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Perma-Banned

Sorry to hear this. it just sucks.

Banned

Anything to slow down the thieves makes sense. Make them pry it from the wall. Make them pry it from the floor. "Harden" the situs of the safe. Make it difficult to get near the safe in the first place. Make the thieves go elsewhere.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    After seeing a safe with a six inch door peeled, I don't have all that much faith in safes. If you bolt it to your floor and walls, all that means is you will be missing your safe, and the section of wall and floor where they used a chainsaw to cut it out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Vendor Sponsor

I have always recommended putting a cheap safe with a couple of cheap rifles inside in plain view
    Then hiding you good safe in a closet Bolted to wall and floor ..
    Crooks will take the easy to see safe and not spend the time to find the good one.. If they do being slid into a closet restricts their access prying ability
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Super Moderator

I have mine bolted to the concrete slab with 5/8 x 6" hardened bolts. I doubt if they could pry it loose. I do worry about a cutting torch on the hinges though...

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    After seeing a safe with a six inch door peeled, I don't have all that much faith in safes. If you bolt it to your floor and walls, all that means is you will be missing your safe, and the section of wall and floor where they used a chainsaw to cut it out.
    lol, I understand what yer sayin but you make it sound like it's best to just store them in presentation cases on the front lawn with a welcome sign lol. I would agree anything to slow them down and conceal the location of your prized items is a good plan. There are differences in thieves. Some would be easy to foil and some can go to great lengths and put thought into what they are doing why make it easy on them?
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing to do is notify every pawn shop gun shop with descriptions and serial numbers. Get this info out to as many and as far as possible. A good description and serial numbers out where its "known can help alot.

Moderator Emeritus

My cabinet is bolted through the tree trunk beams that support that floor and through the wall into a piece of steel 6 feet wide and 2 feet tall on the other side(furnace room so out of sight and I had to move the furnace to put the nuts on then the furnace is bolted into the steel). Sure they could torch it, or use a sledge and hammer awhile, but the entire time they are working the silent alarm has been going off and it automatically calls the police and they get the message and my cell number to check for false alarm. access for a chain would require 50-60 feet or more plus driving into my backyard. Then fitting it out the door...

This is why I will own a vault. Why? Cause you can't steal a room out of my house.
    I'm sorry for your loss, it seems thieves will do anything these days. Except get a real job. Hopefully they turn up, not in a bad way.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a safe with a couple of beater guns as a sacrifice. My good stuff???? I aint tellin.
    I figure they are looking for a quick smash and grab. I give them an easy option that wont hurt me much.
    Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 01-10-2015 at 05:59 AM.