MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow quiet boolits

Boolit Master

slow quiet boolits

As some of you had read that I have been playing around with some slow 38s so it thought an update may help others that have a reason for a reduced noise load.
    I've made a second dipper out of a .22 cartridge this drops 1.9 grains of Bullseye. I'm loading a Lyman 358424 115grain full wad cutter that a member so graciously help me obtain(Thanks to msp2640) The Boolit is sized to 358 and over the chrony it's average is 517fps. Using the dipper, the spread is 60fps. that is less that I used to get with my RCBS powder dump which was 95ish. At 20 yards this thing will cloverleaf like crazy. I'm very happy with the accuracy.
    The best part is with the old Blackhawk the noise level is at or less than a 22lr is. the photo is showing are all groups of 6 including the middle group between the two top targets. My testing was done on a 21 degree day not bad for the time of year. Jeepyj

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_093711.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	126604
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    Looks fine and accurate to me. Bottom targets are real nice.

Banned

If primers weren't 3 cents each they'd be super cheap too.

I'm gonna have to try your load in my 38.
    I have 16 pounds of bullseye and haven't tried it in anything yet

Boolit Master
    Oh that's too cool, great rainy day plinker

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Looks like that is working exceptionally well! The targets look great! Congrats on the success!

That is great, are you seating flush or below flush? I was doing something similar with the Lyman 358101's (77 gr WC)

Boolit Master

At 21 degrees, My hands couldn't hold that steady. Really good loads in my opinion. I'm looking at loading like that with some 100gr'ers for my plinking and for my wife to shoot, She hates loud blasty loads. I think those would work great.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Perma-Banned

i am going to make some of these op myself to play with.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think I'd worry about sticking one in the barrel.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    That is great, are you seating flush or below flush? I was doing something similar with the Lyman 358101's (77 gr WC)

I'm leaving a 16th inch of the lead exposed that mould has a small area the works out perfect. Btw I'd love to get my hands on that 358101. I hope you have great luck with it!
    jeepyj

Boolit Master

@2.1gr I kinda wasn't sure the rounds where going to clear the barrel,did you have any misfired,or hang firings,I had 4 that didn't fire and another one that delay fired after 3 to 5 seconds,so I stopped before some thing got hurt,either me or the gun,my Dan Wesson 357 really liked these light loads,I went with the old soup can 148grWC.that dropped+/- 2grs and no seizing was needed.same here I'm seating almost flush just a 32nd to a 16th that little head on the Boolit.in the past I've loaded the soup can upside down to.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 01-08-2015 at 12:42 AM. Reason: fat fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I looked at a article that was the writers point of view that a undercharged load was more likely to damage the firearm. His point was the bullet would stick in the barrel from a slow push then as the powder burned in a larger space the pressure would spike. Also the bullet may not exit the barrel then another round was fired. Just wanted to share as a warning to those that may follow you down this path. For some out there with their background this is not a big deal but for the newbie this may be a real bad ideal.
    Nice groups BTW and may you really got to want to shoot at those temps.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Used a similar load when we had revolvers here in the UK... used a thin card wad to hold powder next to the primer flash hole

it was like shooting an air pistol just a slight bob of the front sight.... fantastic....
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master

In an effort to address this as a "To light of a load" I agree 1000%. After reading all other posts in my "38spl How low can i go" post, I thought long and hard came to the conclusion that my real goal wasn't actually keep going down to at absolute minimum but see what other who have "been there and done that" would have to say about there experiences so that way it could be safe and beneficial to all wanting to have a light load for whatever reason. Interestingly when I started I was working at 2.9 grains because I found printed data in a medium aged reference manual as that being a started load but a bit of a different Boolit. Being intrigued with this I started looking through all the manuals I had access to and found my exact boolit. After my first dipper that is 2.1 grains I really didn't think i was stretching the envelope to much by going .1 grains under the minimum to listed in this 1964 Lyman manual. I didn't have any FTF or delays or really anything out of the ordinary except the don't make as big of a bang. Keep in mind I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything rather this posting is merely to get others to help me to keep shooting safe with there previous testing and experiences - Jeepyj
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150108_062723.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	126686
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150108_062723.jpg  

Boolit Master
    My firelapping load in .38 Spl is 1.8 grains of Bullseye with a 148 wadcutter. These still have enough power to shoot through both sides of a tin (not aluminum) can. They are treading dangerously low though. I just offer up it as more information on the subject.

Boolit Master

That -424 boolit is a sweetheart. I load them for popcorn loads for a GF (age 82) who likes to shoot, and has a Senior Oly medal thanks to my brilliant coaching and reloading. Right.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

I fire lapped a 91/30 rifle in my garage with 311413 and 2.0 of bullseye, the boolit traveled the length
    of garage and penetrated the end of a oak limb about 1.5 inches.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Went as low as 1.5 grains of Bullseye pushing a 100 grain plinker for a Arisaka 7.7. Worked out to about 20 yards then started to drop like a rock. It would go through a 2x4 but not much more.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I just want to add this small bit of information. Reduced loads can cause a gun to blow up. From what I've read in my life long interest in guns, they don't know exactly why it happens but it does.
    I was a POST Firearms Instructor and armorer that has attended 5 S&W SCHOOLS, SIG, RUGER, Remington, Ithaca. I have talked to and seen these guns after they exploded. Just be careful and I did not enter my school or work record to declare myself an expert on the subject. I included it to tell you that I've had formal training and I'm not some internet falsehood thread starter.
    I've fired thousands of 148 Speer HBWC with 2.7 grains of Bullseye that are the most accurate load one can shoot. It's used in Police PPC matches and other forms of competitive shooting and is also a great family shooting load. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    For slow and quiet loads I use Red Dot. It is bulkier and fills the case better. It is also faster burning than BE and reduces muzzle pressures. IMO it burns a bit cleaner also.