WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What 45-70 Cast Bullets Do You Size Down For Your 45 Colt?

Boolit Grand Master
    More Lyman mould design poetry, eh? I own two of these in the #454424 flavor, the older an Ideal single-cavity and a newer but certainly not "new" Lyman doppelganger. Both produce what I term a sort of "squatty", short 455" semi-wadcutter casting form weighing 255-257 grains in 92/6/2 alloy. Both have 3 full-caliber drive bands and squared-form lube groove, but the older form's bands are about .05" longer each and the lube groove a little narrower than the 2-banger's products. I can't tell a difference in performance between the two on paper, but only use the 2-holer due to concern about consistency that is probably unjustified. They run to 1200 FPS without leading in my BisHawk sized at .454", though most of my loads in this roller now hover around 1000 FPS. Megafauna may have run rampant in California during my youth, but as I approach the heart of my retirement years their numbers seem to be in decline.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

In the 70s, before the current cast bullet renaissance, Lyman commonly produced moulds that cast 0.311' for 30 calibers and 0.455" or so for 45s. The magazine writers of the time howled that these were too large to size to the 'proper' 0.308" and 0.451". The factories responded and we now have what we have.

Thank goodness for our semi-custom makers. These are the good old days.

Boolit Master
    I forgot that there are people who have used the Lee 457-340 RF and sized them down for Ruger 45 Colt loads but I can't remember if they were able to crimp in the crimp groove or just over the front drive band in order to get the COAL for chambering. I sized down the Lee 457-405 RF for my 454 Casull and it was an "ok" affair. If you are going to size down a boolit more than .003-.004" it does help to size/lube to let's say .454 in your situation and then come back and size again if you need a smaller diameter, .452.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Good Old Boy, It's either a bean counter or a case of "We've always done it that way, so that is how it's done, dad gun it!" When black powder was The Only Fuel 125 years ago, and either pure lead or small-percentage lead-tin alloys were the bullet metal, an undersized slug in a 45-70 could be reasonably expected to "bump up" from the low-order detonation provided by The Holy Black. Nowadays, people love to use uber-hard alloys with their smokeless loadings, some of which aren't high-pressure at all, and the likelihood of significant bump-up is quite remote. So, you better make sure that 1) your bullets fit the throat and grooves of the firearm you are dealing with and 2) none of your tooling used to process the brass reduces the diameter of your bullets during the loading sequence. The two chief offenders here are a) too-small expander plugs and b) improper use or over-application of taper crimp dies.
    I purchased an old single cavity Lee 457-405-F single cavity mold almost 2 years ago after reading 9.3X62 AL's 45-70 duplex posts & was fortunate enough to have it drop at .459 since both my 1895 & H&R BC slugged exactly .457-what are the odds of that? I sized at .458 & lubed w/ BAC w/alloy at 14 BHN. Accuracy with the duplex load was impressive with no leading or unburnt powder, and I now have a low cost functional load for both my 45/70's. I was concerned about an oversize bore & undersized mold, so am fortunate they weren't. I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but felt part of this applied to the post & wanted to thank 9.3X62AL for giving me the chance to have an accurate low cost load that works out great for me & my guns. I haven't purchased a chrono but would like to find out since I'm guessing it would make a nice deer load. I think I might have been fortunate enough to get the sizing/hardness combination to work with the charge used, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master
    That load (6.0 x 4198 under 48.0 x WC-860) yields about 1300 FPS from the now-departed Ruger #1 and its replacement Marlin 1895. Pretty much a blackpowder duplicator load in my experience.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    So the argument becomes. OK Keith DID design a 45 bullet, but he didn't design it to use X alloy that would drop 270 grains despite that having been the most COMMON grain weight it was cast in since it's implementation? wow........ ok......

Anyway back to the OPs question there are ALOT of options from the ultra light to the ultra heavy for the 45 long colt without having to go as far afield as resizing 45-70 bullets. However many HAVE done the resizing with good results. I would still like to see what you come up with and how it shoots for you.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    That load (6.0 x 4198 under 48.0 x WC-860) yields about 1300 FPS from the now-departed Ruger #1 and its replacement Marlin 1895. Pretty much a blackpowder duplicator load in my experience.
    I've used your duplex load above using both WC-860 & WC-872, both work well & very little difference between the two in my guns.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy

I thought that the rcbs 45 270 saa was designed by Mr. Dave Scovill of handloader magazine.

Boolit Master
    jaydub I think you may be right that Dave Scovill DID design the rcbs 45 270 SAA. Like i said it is often listed as an "improved" Keith. Well somebody had to "improve it" so there ya go. It is a VERY effective bullet if it feed for you.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    I size down Mihec's 460-122. I powder coat them then size to .457 and then resize to .452. They shoot very nice.

Nighthunter

Boolit Master
    I have no evidence other than my assertion that there were bullets I once possessed and are now long gone that a H&G mold ever dropped a 270grain +- Keith bullet. For accuracy sake everybody should consider RobS to have the correct information. I was wrong. I am wrong. I apologize.

Thanks Rob for taking the discussion to pms.

GoodOlBoy

Boolit Master
    I have sized down NEI 520 gr bullets and have loaded them in 45 Colt cases and used them in a 12 inch Encore in 454 Casull. Runs 1250 fps chronoed. Nice load.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 01-07-2015 at 05:15 PM.

I use the Lee 457-340-F sometimes in 454 Casull and 45 Colt. I bought it for my 45-70 but it ended up liking larger diameter bullets better (.460 - .461ish) so I got a 350gr mold from NOE that drops .461 with my alloy. The Lee 457-340-F mold was cheap and casts great so I keep it and use it for 454 and 45 colt sized down to .454 over a load of IMR-4227. It's not my best performing bullet for these guns but it works and sometimes it's fun to have different bullets to play with.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Master
    LBT, Keith and Mauser just to name a few, have become a some what generic term. Or, "style".
    It it is one or the other but it can't be both. A tip of the hat to those of you here that researched in depth trying to clone to the best of your findings these designs.

Boolit Master
    This is not about "who designed what" it is about sizing down 45/70 bullets to use in a 45 Colt.
    Anyone that is a Diehard Keith fan knows what he designed that became famous. His alloy at that time was 1-16 tin lead. Keith fans (???????) don't???
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 01-08-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    Just the LEE 340g sized to .454. Its a nasty round full house or even starting data. I push it over 1100fps in a 4" and over 1300fps in a 7.5". Its a good bear load but I dont shoot it much any more, maybe 3 times a year. I'm happier in the 255-300g weights for 99% of what I want. The generic 255 cowboy design at 1400fps is fantastic for about everything.

Boolit Master
    I have been moving boolit diameters both up and down when loading for a Webley MK VI. The first project involved a Winchester mold 45/60 sized down to .456. Loaded in 45AR cases (pistol had already been "cut" before it came to me), the boolits could not be seated to a COL that would not bind in the chambers (long fat nose) and leave comfortable room in the case for powder w/o pressure concerns. That took me to the Lyman 454190, hand lubed and crimped in the top lube groove. These went into the chambers without issue. Loaded over either 3.3 or 3.5 Bullseye, both loads hit at the sights. No pressure signs, clearly not over loaded and a very close copy of the original loading. Joy and happiness.

Thin Man