Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why no pistol powder

Boolit Master
    Powder "shortages" are weird to say the least. There is a gun shop 15 miles away from my property in Tennessee and they have all the pistol powders you could want. Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, WW296, H110, etc. I have been there three different times since April of last year and each time I was in the store the shelves were STOCKED.
    Yet I have not seen any of these powders on the shelf at any store in Colorado in 18 months. When I asked the guys at OJ how they got so much powder they simply said they ordered it.

Government conspiracy? That's simply ridiculous. Following that are the hard headed cheap skates who do find powder in the LGS then whine and cry about the price being high and then don't buy it. No one to blame but yourself if your bench is empty.

My personal opinion is if a local store doesn't have it the owner isn't trying hard enough to get it.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 01-05-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master
    I purchased 2400 and HP-38 at Jay's in Gaylord in November. Their shelves were full of powder and in ever better selections. Most are running $20-25/ lb. The Aussies must have got their powder plant up and going again and the powder is in the supply chain if it it getting to northern Michigan.

Banned

There is a restriction on the ports to only allow one container ship at a time in a port. They could send them to other ports real easy.

But who knows what the real reason is. The companies will flat out lie to you about what is really going on and then blame the Gov't. It may be the Gov't, but it may be the manufacturers that just want more $$$$ by limiting supply. Copper is down lead is down fuel is down. But our prices keep going up. I think I am going to go buy a 55 gal drum of Vaseline for whats to come in the next few years.

Well,
    If this not explain what I'm trying to say, then I don't know what to do to wake you up. Taken from Midwayusa, I was just trying to purchase shotgun wads. (it's a plastic product for God sakes!!!)

Restricted Product

We're sorry, but we can't include this product on your order due to the the following:

• Your city or state law prohibits us from shipping any part of a cartridge to your shipping address.

• Claybuster Shotshell Wads 12 Gauge CB1118-12 (Replaces WAA12) 1-1/8 oz Case of 5000 (10 Bags of 500)

If this ISN'T a form of backdoor gun control from the government then please correct me. My question is, which law is preventing me to purchase reloading components?

For the rest of guys interested just google "backdoor gun control"
    Nelson

In Remembrance
    Which state are you in?

Hence the no powder. More shooters and reloaders than ever before. They were all tired of not finding ammo and components. Now everyone buys whatever they can find. I don't fret over a single powder I just snatch it all up whenever I find prepanic prices. One lgs has received 2 large shipments of hodgdon powder in the last couple months. Alliant is not to be found easily, and I don't blame the government.

With the cost and demand for components doubling every 10 years it would be smart to stock up for life whenever you can.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I might be part of the problem, but I buy 8lbs. or more when I can just to avoid lot-to-lot variations, nice to not have to re-work up a load after you have it dialed in.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Which state are you in?
    Exactly, blame your state/local officials for that one. Every state's laws are different, like the should be. If you live in MD you can't legally store an 8# jug of powder in your home. How are you supposed to stock up when you can't store quantity in your residence? The whole one container thing at the port is for safety reasons. Same thing w/ the Alaska barge restrictions. Anyone that has worked w/ dangerous chemicals understands why restrictions are in place. Would you want to work at the port when a ship entirely full of powder docked? Talk about a powder keg, pun intended.

Our federal government definitely is not on the side of gun owners. But I'd they wanted to restrict components it would be done already. All it takes is the stroke of the pen on an executive order and it's done. I feel sorry for the guys just starting out. I have no sympathy if you've been reloading for years and got caught short. Assuming you had the means to prepare. If you didn't then you're in the same situation as new reloaders.

Boolit Buddy
    To address the OP problem you might try to find some shot gun powder that would fit your need in hand gun ammo. WST and WSF comes to mind as a couple of examples.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    LGS here has Trailboss, HS6, 231 and several rifle powders. Didn't buy any because I have enough to last me quite a while.

where is this? I could really use some HS6.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

I went to LGS today they had some 296 in and #4 jug of 3031
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Instead of blaming the mysterious workings of Government, let's look at a cold hard fact: The Australian plant that produces Shotgun and Pistol Powder for Hodgdon burned down.

Let that soak in for a minute.

Now add that the powder produced by this factory is exclusively marketed to the reloading community.

Yes, that's right, a major supplier of US Pistol and Shotgun Powder went to zero production (in 2013). With normal demand for this product shifting over to the remaining powder suppliers we are left with a substantial supply-demand imbalance.

Back in October Chris Hodgdon did an online interview and reported that they expect to be shipping pistol and shotgun powder in first quarter 2015.

There you have an explanation for the shortage, and it is not tied to anything done by the U.S. Federal Government.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ruizhernandeztrust View Post

For the rest of guys interested just google "backdoor gun control"
    Right, you can trust anything you find with Google!

No wonder the BS conspiracy theories get spread.

I deserve to get flamed just to express MY OPINION? Okay I get it.
    Last edited by ruizhernandeztrust; 01-05-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: correct grammatical error.
    Nelson

Banned
    Gee, could it be that consumers are paying high prices and buying every last grain of powder they can get their hands on?

From what I've seen, the government (particularly the federal type), is far too incompetent to successfully execute a small operation; never mind a large complex conspiracy. The inherent inefficiency combined with notorious bureaucracy makes any type of "grand scheme" laughable.

I guess if one didn't understand basic science and had no desire to learn, that person might say something like, "You know the government could stop the sun from rising in the east but they don't want to"! And if you were really into conspiracy theories you might go on to say something like, "The government is collaborating with the evil corporations to keep the sun rising in the east, you know they could make it rise in the west if they wanted to".

Could it be that powder manufactures are selling every gram of powder they can make now and they can sell it at high profits?
    Maybe they are fearful of investing in machinery to expand their output knowing that when this bubble bursts, there will be a glut that will drive the price of powder down, making it difficult to recoup their capital investments?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Instead of blaming the mysterious workings of Government, let's look at a cold hard fact: The Australian plant that produces Shotgun and Pistol Powder for Hodgdon burned down.

Let that soak in for a minute.

Now add that the powder produced by this factory is exclusively marketed to the reloading community.

Yes, that's right, a major supplier of US Pistol and Shotgun Powder went to zero production (in 2013). With normal demand for this product shifting over to the remaining powder suppliers we are left with a substantial supply-demand imbalance.

Back in October Chris Hodgdon did an online interview and reported that they expect to be shipping pistol and shotgun powder in first quarter 2015.

There you have an explanation for the shortage, and it is not tied to anything done by the U.S. Federal Government.
    Ah, but how do you explain the mysterious black helicopter sighted 1,000 miles from the plant just six months before the the fire? Clearly am act of sabotage!

Hodgdon has been infiltrated by the Men in Black and Chris brainwashed. The new powders will become inert after six months, leaving us defenseless so the Trilateral Commission aided by the Skull & Crossbones can strike and make us all slaves to the New World Order.

Think I'll google my theory tomorrow & see how many times it's been repeated.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ruizhernandeztrust View Post
    I deserve to get flamed just to express MY OPINION?. Okay I get it.
    You share your opinion w/ others and we've heard the same arguments since this all began. It's grown tiresome over the years. Simple supply and demand economics is what's at work. No point in looking any deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You share your opinion w/ others and we've heard the same arguments since this all began. It's grown tiresome over the years. Simple supply and demand economics is what's at work. No point in looking any deeper.
    No hard feelings man, it's okay. Maybe I need to learn to shut my mouth and just keep lurking the forum.
    Nelson

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    BassPro just had Bullseye, Unique, 2400, etc a week or two ago. Several members posted that. Took a few days for BassPro to sell out.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Perma-Banned

What I would not give for some 2400 right now. I have been looking for at least a year.