MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Lyman super moly, opinions please

Boolit Mold

Lyman super moly, opinions please

I got 2 tubes of super moly with the casting kit and since it was about 20 degrees in the garage i used it thinking it would flow better in the 450 sizer, it did! But now i wonder if it will liquefy in hot weather and contaminate the powder?

Boolit Man
    According to the Lyman web site . . . it says it won't melt at 130 . . .

Boolit Master
    It works in warm weather, it's just the blackest stuff you ever tried to get out of your barrel.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Moderator Emeritus

...and -- in my experience -- almost impossible to wash off my hands -- even using Lava soap.

Banned

it'll melt at 150 though.
    it's an okay lube and bout as good as anything you can buy.
    some don't like the moly [shrug] and it is a super fine grind they use.

having said that.
    I spent a lot of time duplicating the lube, then finally surpassing it in temp swing usefulness.

Boolit Master

Its a decent lube....flows easily in cold weather....maybe flows a little too easily in hot weather
    never had any issues when I've used it.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I have never used it but I have a neighbor that swears by it. When our 200 yard range was still open I watched him shooting at a target with a 4" black bull with his 7-08. All holes were in the black clustered very nicely at 200. I was impressed.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for your responses people, i cleaned it off my fingers with lacquer thinner. I used it to lube 30 or so .224`s for my 222 to shoot at 200 yds in cccold weather here in NH. Though i`m not a hunter i like to shoot at a variety of weather conditions to round out my experience. The load i`m planning is 20.5 BLC2/WSR/WW case under a hardcast 55/GC with the moly @ approx 2500. Normally i use Orange Magic but i used it up.

Boolit Master
    It,s my standard lube for .22 Hornet & .222 Rem. I have stiffened it up a bit by adding beeswax & anhyd. lanolin.

as a commercial lube it's perhaps one of the better ones and until i started making lubes it was my go to lube for anything above mid level pistol loads, yup it's messy and has an aroma , the mess i could deal with ,the aroma ...was harder lolz and led me to greener pastures
    carb cleaner followed by kroil gets it out of a bore in decent fashion ( as it does for most moly's )
    never had it contaminate the primer/powder but ... i always made sure to wipe the bases down/off
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    I've shot some very good groups with it. The only thing I have to add is it will dry out on boolits if stored for an extended period of time.

Boolit Master
    It's not good for long term storage, but I like it as a rifle lube very much, especially for an old Turkish Mauser with a very rough bore. I can't find another lube that will beat if for that application, although I have never tried to drive it at max velocity.

It smells like theatrical greasepaint and it reminds me of the camo makeup the military uses.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I'm about to go out to the garage and melt the remains of the Lyman Super Moly out of my 4500 with the intent of switching back to an NRA 50/50 lube. I like the Lyman Moly for ease of use definitely although I have plugged the heater in when it's cold just to make life simpler. I'm switching to rule out lube as a problem with my 30-30 which will print a trash can lid at 100 yards scoped. If it's as I suspect and not the lube I'll be buying a different mold than the 311041.