MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: Cast boolits shooting in M1a

Boolit Bub

Cast boolits shooting in M1a

Well searching got me nowhere so I'll ask the question here...

I'm considering buying a Springfield Armory M1a National Match. Has anyone any experience with loading cast boolits in this weapon? My major concern is the gas system coupled with any accuracy?

My second question is if you own one of these weapons, is the NM option worth the extra money?

Keep 'em shoot'n..

Boolit Buddy
    Accuracy - what do you plan to do with it? I think (my $0.02) that an semi-auto AR-10 would give better accuracy - less work to shoot better than a M-1A. May be not less $. But maybe you just want a M-1A cause they are cool looking...I have not looked at the money comparison - but I probably get an AR-10 to shoot more accurately.

NM Springfield Armory - probably worth the extra for the 'heavier' barrel and trigger work - compared to a standard 'rack grade' rifle.

M-1A NM - probably means these days - heavier barrel, little better trigger, 1/2 MOA sights, glass bedding, unitized gas cylinder. I noticed that the Springfield Armory site did not mentioned 'unitized gas cylinder'.

BruceB - has an extensive (definitive) post on the M-1A and cast boolits on this site. Sticky on this sub-forum (duh)

Gas systems and lead bullets - not a problem - if do the minimum things right....which is not hard considering this site.
    Last edited by Gunor; 12-15-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Duh

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DisinterestedThirdParty View Post
    Well searching got me nowhere so I'll ask the question here...Has anyone any experience with loading cast boolits in this weapon? My major concern is the gas system coupled with any accuracy...
    If you were to open the first 'sticky' at the top of this section, you'd find (14) pages of info on shooting cast in the M1A...which ain't all that much different than shooting cast in any semi-auto.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DisinterestedThirdParty View Post
    Well searching got me nowhere so I'll ask the question here...

I'm considering buying a Springfield Armory M1a National Match. Has anyone any experience with loading cast boolits in this weapon? My major concern is the gas system coupled with any accuracy?

My second question is if you own one of these weapons, is the NM option worth the extra money?

Keep 'em shoot'n..
    I usually point these guys over here for cast questions. Best bet is to go there for M14 specific questions. (best/accessories, accuracy, etc.) Like here, a WEALTH of information!

http://m14forum.com/
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

The M-14 forum has ZERO info on cast-bullet shooting.

It DOES have huge amounts of data on the rifles themselves, which can be very useful.

My "loaded" model is amply accurate for great pleasure in loading and shooting. I don't know if an NM model would be worth the additional cost TO ME.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    Do yourself a favor and read BruceB sticky on loading cast bullets for the M1A, then re-read it and save a copy.

No use re-inventing the wheel Bruce did a great job writing it up and that is why it is a sticky.

Boolit Bub
    Well I did a search of the whole forum on "M1a" and it returned nothing. I thought that odd so I posted this question. And lo and behold, there's the sticky.

I appreciate the information. Yes, I'd love an M1a, but they're a lot of money and I'd like to look before I leap.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas all all!

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    I also have a 'loaded' model, it does shoot plenty accurate enough for me, but I would actually prefer a standard, the tight chamber means that it takes different cast boolit loading procedures than all my other .30 bores.