MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Any Security/Speed/Police Six shooters here?

Banned
    I'm glad you lovers of excessively long chambers are not depleting the supply of appropriately chambered revolvers. That results in more civilized revolvers on the market for the unenlightened brothers-in-arms.

Thank You !

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Unfortunately alot of .38's now sell for more than their .357 equivalents. Nice S&W 67's that are not tired LE guns go for over $500.00, as does the aforementioned Ruger KGPF-840.

Today I put a like new Taurus 82 in layaway jail. It's not a Ruger but it is big, heavy, and .38 only. I figger I can shoot it on the range and carry while hunting to save wear on my Service Six as they feel almost the same in the hand, even have the same smooth trigger pull.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth, I'm slowly learning. 15 years ago, I considered the .357 Mag to be a puny little joke of a caliber, and the .44 Mag was just barely into the territory of what a carry gun should be, but on the light side of that scale. Fast forward to today, and having seen the performance of various weapons both in hunting and in social situations, and I have a whole new respect for things like the .38 Spl. And anyone who laughs at your choice, well, they just haven't seen the things I have seen. I still consider the FMJ 9mm a joke, but have grown to realize that while I don't have any use for a 9mm FMJ with the round nose, or the .38 Spl with a round nose, the fault of that is in the round nose itself, cause if you load the .38 with a nice flat nose or a HP, it gets to be a very respectable round that does what it needs and doesn't abuse the shooter doing it. Almost makes me want to try the 9mm with a FN, but not quite enough to go off and actually give that little bugger a chance. I mean, if it was to actually work, I might have to start respecting the .32 ACP too, or even the .25 ACP, and that's just not a slippery slope I'm willing to go down. I mean, everyone knows that the .25 ACP and the 9mm quit being lethal when antibiotics became common, but they sure did kill a lot of people back in their day, mostly by infection.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Banned
    It's funny how opinions of cartridges change when something bigger comes along.
    45 Schofield - 45 Colt - 454 Casull - 460 S&W Magnum - ?
    38 Long Colt - 38 Special - .357 Magnum - .357 Maximum - ?
    44 Russian -44 Special - 44 Magnum, ?

When compared to their contemporaries, the 45 Colt, 44 Special and 38 Special were the "magnums" of their day.
    I have a few revolvers chambered in .357 Magnum and I can shoot that round just fine however I prefer shooting the 38 Special.

And Lonegun you are wise in your avoidance of that slippery slope. When you go from .357" all the way down to .355" there's no stopping.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    For a time I was casting and reloading more .32 Auto than all the others!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The explanation I was told by Ruger's engineers, when I visited the plant as the government's Quality Assurance Representative, was that the Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six platform was more labor intensive to assemble and fit, and that to enable full parts interchangibility would have required complete retooling and regaging.

The decision to adapt the basic Redhawk design to simplied production resulted in the Super Redhawk, GP100, SP101 lines. The days of a revolver as a primary police handgun were over by 1986 and they ran an estimated supply of spare parts to service the old revolver line for 20 years. Those spares are all but gone now. My Service Six was factory rebuilt in 2005 and I was told they were scraping the bottom of the barrel then.
    This being the case, it would be great if Ruger (the company) produced a Security-Six sized frame using the Redhawk design, and called it the "New Security Six" or some such...

The GP100 is awesome, and awfully heavy too.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    For a time I was casting and reloading more .32 Auto than all the others!
    Did you ever take it duck hunting? Oh, never mind, don't answer that.